1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is Knee Deep trying to become the Alpine of NorCal?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by 01Ryan10, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Indeed. I had a terrible infected bottle of Captain Stout on Saturday. FOULNESS!!
  2. Word. Good post.

I should have said that Alpine's hop-forward beers are God-tier, which I'll maintain tooth and nail.
    ehammond1 and UCLABrewN84 like this.
  3. Knee Deep is trying to become the Knee Deep of NorCal.
    CBlack85 and Sebowski like this.
  4. I know which one is more likely 'Knee Deep' in debt for a long(er) amount of time. . .

Expansion/rate of expansion isn't always indicative of success. . . just ask Jamarcus Russell's waistline.
    JohnQ, afrokaze and PaulStoneAnchor like this.
  5. KaslD

KaslD Initiate (0) California Nov 25, 2012

So all of you complaining about a 10$ beer will never buy an Exponential Hoppiness I take it? Thats great news because that means more for me!! Is there any triple IPA that is less than 10$? I know Pliny the Younger costs a ridiculous amount for their pours. Around 8$/10oz pour and people line up around the block for it. So that means a 22oz of that would be 17-18$. If PtE was a 22oz bottle it would.be about 8$ so considering Simtra and Hop Shortage are delicious and triple IPA's maybe 10$ is not a ludicrous price.
  6. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

For me Simtra and Hop Shortage is good. Not delicious as in I can drink a bottle or two every week. Once every month maybe. I'm done with Big and Bold beers. Well, not completely done. I will on occasions drink a Big and Bold beer. I used to seek out Knuckle Sandwich when it was first released. Not interested in it anymore. Maybe a bottle or two every now and then. When KS first came out it cost around 5-6 bones. Not bad. I think it's still around 7. But it has fallen in taste. For a fairly new brewery Knee Deep's price I think is to high. Maybe I'm wrong. But I think if the price was around 7 then I would probably buy more of Simtra and Hop Shortage. I prefer to pay 10-11 for Expo no problem. But again, I'm not going after Expo anymore. I can run down the street to Beachwood and buy a pint of Elder for 5.5 during happy hour. And it's a 16 oz pour. One of the better deals in OC. Liquor Warehouse used to sell Elder for 3.99 for a bottle. I have narrowed my ipa/dipa's down from around 30 to 10. Enjoy By is by far my favorite new ipa. And I'm sure they'll be another new one or two this year. My go to ipa is Sculpin in a keg. Not cheap when you by by the bomber or six pack. But by keg, not so bad. But I will take road trips to Alpine and Kern for the more better ipa's. I haven't tried Heady Topper or some of the other east coast ipa's. Too much hassle. So a lot of my beers in my fridge are nothing special hard to find beers. Just harder to get. So I will go out of my way to get what I like.
  7. KaslD

Try Heady Topper man. IMHO it blew away the competition. I would drink it all day everyday if I could. The hassle isnt worth going through when we have so many great IPA's but definitely worth seeking out at least once. But I also think Pliny sucks. It doesnt live up to the hype imo. I would rather have Simtra, Hop Shortage, DuHop, Pure Hop, Nelson, Palate Wrecker, Hop Therapy or Hop Stoopid any day of the week.
  8. dcgunman

dcgunman Savant (360) California Jul 1, 2009

Ya. One day on my travels to the northeast I will try Heady Topper. Actually I'm hoping trade with someone from the east coast that's coming here in March. He's never had Citra or Alpine ipa's. I think Citra will be to old by the time he gets here so I'm hoping to get some fresh Duet, Nelson or Pure for him. I did try Bell's Hopslam last year. I thought it was very good. But nothing like some of the west coast ipa's thats a lot easier to get. I mean what good is it if you know what beer you like but cant drink it every day or it's not readily available.
  9. great post, i loved reading it. well, not loved reading it.
    Xul, SageO, LegalBrew87 and 5 others like this.
  10. My CA breweries ranked by IPA greatness:

1. Alpine
    2. RR
    3. Kern River
    4. Lagunitas
    5. Stone
    ~20. Knee Deep

So I'd have to say no as well.
    rails, grandmeaulnes and RobertV916 like this.
  11. MLucky

MLucky Savant (355) California Jul 31, 2010

This is sort of like saying "the Volkswagon Jetta is not overpriced, look at how much people pay for a Mercedes Roadster!"
  12. KaslD

No I think Simtra and Hop Shortage are both awesome beers. But people complaining about the fact its a 10$ beer are also the same ones probably paying that much for PtY and Expo. Awesome beer is expensive and triple IPA's are just MORE expensive than single or double's. What youre trying to.say makes no sense because theyre not even in the same car class whereas Expo and PtY are both triple IPA's just like Simtra and Hop Shortage and in the same price range or more expensive.
  13. MLucky

So you really think Knee Deep is in the same class as Russian River? How many people do you think would share that opinion?
    Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  14. KaslD

As far as IPA's go yea. I dont care too much who shares the same views as I do.
  15. KaslD

But since you did ask I have a good amount of friends that would drink Simtra or Hop Short over Pliny.
  16. I'm calling SHENANIGANS on that one, you sir have GONE TOO FAR. Crazy Talk!
  17. KaslD

I also said this:
  18. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

You know, that doesn't really surprise me too much - a lot of people prefer exciting hop profiles to well-balanced beer. Pliny is pine and grapefruit done really, really well. Newer beers are showcasing a lot of other flavors that many other people prefer.

I still think Knee Deep is nowhere near the quality of Russian River or any of the other top-tier IPA producers in the state - they make far too many crappy beers and their "best" ones aren't always great.
    Beerandraiderfan and Xul like this.
  19. MLucky

This.
  20. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Savant (315) California Mar 19, 2012

I have only had the Tanilla Porter. Not impressed...
  21. KaslD

This.
  22. KaslD

Comparing the 2 overall is quite unfair considering Knee Deep was established in 2010 and RR was established in 1997. But I still stand by my statement that theyre definitely on the same IPA level.
  23. jtmartino

jtmartino Savant (470) California Dec 11, 2010

Simtra, Hop Shortage, and Citra Pale are good beers. The rest are unremarkable and overpriced compared to the local competition (Drakes, Lagunitas, etc.) especially considering they're so new. Usually breweries don't overprice their beer unless they contract brew (are gypsy brewers) or come out swinging with BA or sour stuff.
  24. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

That's asinine. New breweries can make excellent beer, look at Hill Farmstead. They're about as old as Knee Deep, and make beer that's only a few hundred times better. And, to some extent, being old is a disadvantage, since what they do is old hat, people want the new shiny thing.

Regardless, you should just accept that you're in the minority here. Most people don't think Knee Deep is anywhere near RR or Alpine, as this thread evidences.
    Beerandraiderfan and jtmartino like this.
  25. MLucky

Yeah, it's unfair! Who brought up that comparison, anyway? Oh that's right, you did. And then you make it again in the next sentence. Are you in politics, by any chance?
  26. KaslD

Yea thats why nobody wants that Heady Topper thats been brewing for almost 10 years. Its old and nasty and everyone is tired of it....oh wait. My opinion was that comparing the breweries as a whole isnt fair because they have had only 2 years for trial and error whereas RR has had 15. I accept the fact that im in the minority here and thats fine with me because this is all opinions and im hapoy to stand by mine.
  27. KaslD

Once again I said comparing as a WHOLE. Everything a brewery has done! I said they are comparable when it comes to IPA's. But not many breweries handle sours in their first couple years. RR has had 15 to do that.
  28. MLucky

When you're in a hole, the smartest thing to do is to stop digging.
  29. KaslD

Whos in a hole? Everything I have stated is my opinion. Everything you have stated has been yours. Simple as that.
  30. peteinSD

peteinSD Savant (255) California Apr 25, 2010

i've had bottles of knee deep that to me, as a 5 malt extract batches under my belt 5 years ago home brewer, were riddled with unforgiveable flaws. i do like the recent move to bottle dating though and might give them a try once more.

31. Your conviction and communication style is reminiscent of the character in your avatar. Are you role-playing?
  32. KaslD

No, but have been told by all my friends that he acts just like I do/I act like he does. Lol.
  33. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

There is no comparison between the two and I honesty don't think the latter would want it. Alpine is who they are for a wide variety of things including their amazing water source. As a huge wine collector/drinker as well we use a term called terrior, ( TEAR-WHA ), that means basically " from this place ", Alpine unlike any other brewery has this in spades.

Cheers......
  34. Terrior only really comes come into play with spontaneously fermented beers, lambics of belgium and such.

IPA's not so much, you use Malt from Breiss or Rahr, hops from the PNW, yeast from a lab, and you adjust water chemistry to make it what you want. I know brewers cite "such and such" water source but the reality is that most adjust the water chemistry to their liking anyways. If Alpine really does have specific water to make their beer that amazing than any brewery could adjust their water profile to be that of Alpine City water, but I can guarantee you Terrior is certainly not what makes Alpine beers so good.
  35. OTB

I did not say it was only their water, I said there are a wide variety of factors including their water source that create a sense of terrior.

Cheers....
  36. Xul

Xul Advocate (525) California May 18, 2008

1) Hate to be that guy, but it's "terroir."

2) If not their water, than what gives Alpine its sense of terroir any more than any other brewery?
  37. OTB

OOOPS...thanks for the spell check.

Cheers....
  38. I respectfully disagree. They are both breweries of very high quality. It's just that you and obviously many others prefer the taste (and price point) of Alpine's beer over that of Knee Deep's.
  39. drgarage

drgarage Initiate (0) California Aug 19, 2008

Guys, it's clear that the terriers in Alpine's beers makes them superior.
  40. Madskill

Madskill Savant (255) California Nov 25, 2012

I am a fan of Knee Deep. I really enjoyed Simtra and Hoptologist but I liked Hoptologist more. Keep the brews coming Knee Deep!
    KaslD likes this.