1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is my love of Hop Shortage unrealistic?

Discussion in 'US - Pacific' started by ImJ2x, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ImJ2x

ImJ2x Initiate (0) California Jan 3, 2012

Knee Deep has been generating a lot of Cali buzz recently- especially for their solid Simtra TIPA (Simcoe and Citra hops, duh.) But I, personally, prefer their Hop Shortage- Simtra's "cousin," but with Centennial and Chinook hops, instead. This particular hop duo really works for me, somehow managing to be simple AND complex, at the same time- no small feat. And the VERY-well-hidden 11.3% abv is even more difficult to achieve. Shortage is definitely in my "Top 10," and possibly even Top 5. Am I nuts?
    [PS: Please reply ONLY if you've actually tried Hop Shortage. Thanks.]
  2. It's a pretty good beer, but there are many others I would rather have in its place.
  3. jwjon1

jwjon1 Savant (365) Delaware Jan 14, 2007

Your reality is your own.
    jtmartino and afrokaze like this.
  4. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (620) Florida Jul 15, 2011

I had Hoptologist from them when i was on the west coast. I loved it, in spite of the average reviews. So, i understand
    jwjon1 likes this.
  5. I agree with the above post: "Your reality is your own." But if you want my opinion, I don't like triple IPAs, in general. They are too sweet and thick, which I think ruins the hop flavors. Simtra is good, but I would much rather have a DIPA of about 8% with the same hops. Hop Shortage, IMO, is alright but there are so many other beers I would rather be drinking. For example, I am drinking Sucks right now that is <3 weeks old and there is no way I would rather be drinking anything Knee Deep makes. Of course, this is just my opinion. If your opinion is different, don't reply to me, reply to the OP or thread, which is asking for your opinion. ;)
    j47paco likes this.
  6. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

They're okay, but Cali didn't need another hop-dominated brewery and others do it better.
    jtmartino likes this.
  7. OTB

OTB Savant (345) California Sep 2, 2011

Yes.:eek:

Cheers....
  8. I had Hop Shortage within the last month and it was one of the worst beers I have had in recent memory.
    OTB likes this.
  9. Shortage has an rAvg of 4- that's pretty solid, so I guess you aren't "crazy" for liking it.
    Simcoe and Citra are much in-demand specialty hops hence this beer, Simtra's "cousin". Personally I'd rather just have a Pliny.
  10. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Your love of Hop Shortage is not unrealistic. I will leave every bottle I see on the shelves for you.
    OTB likes this.
  11. KevSal

KevSal Advocate (585) California Oct 17, 2010

12. afrokaze

afrokaze Advocate (620) California Jun 12, 2009

Everyone know how big of a deal good beer is in Idaho, Ohio and Florida...
    KevSal likes this.