1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Is there any way to remove yeast without an expensive conical fermenter?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by stobliss, Jan 24, 2013.

1. stobliss

stobliss Member

I have to leave the yeast in with the priming sugars when I bottle the fermented beer up, but I dislike have that yeast at the bottom of the bottles when they are ready. Is there any way to carbonate the beer while removing the yeast before I bottle it up without dropping 700 dollars on a conical fermenter?
  2. HopNicholson

HopNicholson Member

This has happened to my first 2 batches. I feel like it gave my first batch of IPA an off flavor that i wasnt too excited about! I havent tasted my 2nd batch yet, but im affraid to taste the same off flavors! Im currently on my 3rd batch and its in primary now so im hoping to find a solution before it comes time to bottle in month or so.
  3. jmw

jmw Member

There will always be a little yeast if you bottle, but it sounds like you are a prime candidate for kegging.
  4. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Member

There is no way to naturally carbonate beer without yeast being present. It's like trying to produce cow manure without using cows. The only alternative is to invest in a kegging system and force carb the beer. You can then produce all the crystal clear, yeast free bottles you want. But, at that point, why not simply add faucets to your bar and serve it on draft? (hint, hint ;)) Personally, I have no problem with a bit of yeast sediment in the bottles (have you looked at your favorite bottles of 'good' beer?)
  5. premierpro

premierpro Member

Somthing does not sound right. Are you transfering your beer to a bottling bucket then adding the priming sugar? Or are you puting the priming sugar in your primary fermenter and bottling off of that? The little amount of yeast that you should have in your bottles should not be detrimental to the flavor of your beer. If you pour slowly you can watch the yeast get traped right before the neck of the bottle. I only waste 1/4 inch of beer at the bottom.
  6. nuggetman

nuggetman Member

I highly doubt the yeast is giving your beers off flavors. The yeast is what is making your beer alive and will especially help transform your beers and clean up any off flavors. I would check your process on the next batch you brew and narrow down some other possibilities. Hope you figure it out! Don't get down, most of our first beers had plenty of off flavors! Cheers!
  7. geezerpk

geezerpk Member

Gelatin fining a few days before transferring to the bottling bucket will somewhat reduce the yeast/trub that settles on the bottom. The gelatin will work even better if you can chill the beer for a day or so before bottling.
  8. Jimjohson

Jimjohson Member

yeah, mine tasted kinda like a Bud (looking down in shame). :oops:
  9. nuggetman

nuggetman Member

Depending on the kind of bud you are talking about, I may want that recipe my friend!
    Jimjohson likes this.
  10. MLucky

MLucky Member

It's normal to have a layer of yeast at the bottom of bottle conditioned beers, even with commercial examples. But it's not normal for that to cause off flavors. My guess is that the yeast was not the cause of the off flavors.

If you think you're getting a more than acceptable amount of yeast in the beer after bottle conditioning, I would suggest doing a cold crash before bottling, if you can. If you drop the beer to, say, 40F for a couple days, then bring it back to room temp, prime, and bottle, you should have considerably less yeast to deal with. If you can't do that, give it some extra time to settle out of the beer. Gelatin is also an option, though it shouldn't really be necessary.
  11. HopNicholson

HopNicholson Member

Yea i just tested my 2nd batch after a week of being bottled between 65-75 degrees, which is the light lager that i dry hopped and it too had yeast sediment but no off flavors, it actually tastes great!! im really glad i added the columbus and cascade hops during secondary because it added great aroma and flavor to that light beer ... so now i need to look back and see what i did wrong with my IPA! it was my first beer so im sure i messed it up somewhere down the line. Thanks again for the insight and help, further down the line i will think about a keg set up but for right now i want to enjoy where im at now!
  12. Jimjohson

Jimjohson Member

None of the new Buds, just the old school stuff in the red and white can. It had that old budweiser twang in the finish. It was a "kit" beer nothin' I cooked. I'm not a Bud man, so if I had the recipe I'd sure had over all copies.:)
  13. pweis909

pweis909 Member

14. CASK1

CASK1 Member

I'd like to see the answer to this. If you are transferring to a bottling bucket (carefully) you should only have the yeast you need to carbonate. If you aren't, your answer is a $5 food grade plastic bottling bucket.