1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is there caffeine in beers brewed with coffee?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Lare453, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

Is there caffeine in beers that are brewed or aged with coffee? I'm assuming there is, but just wanted to get a confirmation.

2. WankelEngine

WankelEngine Savant (345) Illinois Mar 28, 2011

Yes, there will be some caffeine but not very much. But shhhhhh! It's technically illegal to sell alcohol with caffeine thanks to things like 4 Loko and Sparks. Don't ruin coffee beer for everyone.

3. Yes there is, I know when all of the issues came out from Four Loko having caffeine in there beverages that it some breweries were in jeopardy of not being able to continue brewing their coffee stouts. I actually have a question as to how much caffeine there actually is, I know a lot of breweries actually cold brew their coffee and I wonder how much that effects caffeine extraction.

4. This is my "should I drink another Peche Mortel at 11pm on a Monday?" conundrum.

5. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

Doesn't cold extraction get more caffeine, not less?

mountsnow1010 and checktherhyme like this.
  6. Just makes me consider a "before noon" brew.

[​IMG]

7. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Quiet all of you!!!!!!!!!!! Stop spreading lies.

There is no caffeine in coffee beers. None.

Alcohol destroys it all, yeah , that's it, the brewing process destroys it all. All.

These aren't the droids you're looking for. ;)

8. cavedave

Cold extraction, by an interesting chemical process, turns caffeine into chocolate. Completely.

9. It's actually not illegal as long as the caffeine comes from a natural source like coffee beans.

10. Also I recently brewed a Coffee Porter and put 16 oz of cold pressed coffee into two gallons of beer. I think it ended up only being a couple oz if that in each pint you would drink. So if you drank a whole six pack it wouldn't even add up to one cup of coffee.

RBCORCORAN and ardmoreryan like this.
  11. Lare453

Lare453 Champion (780) Florida Feb 1, 2012

It does

12. I had a founders breakfast stout yesterday at whole foods. It was run through a randal type device and the beer was actually soaking in the coffee beans before it poured, not just running through them. First time I had the breakfast stout but it reaked of and tasted like a huge coffee bomb. Loved it. I can assure you it had caffeine in it.

Enjoy

element223 and Huhzubendah like this.
  13. Handle

Handle Savant (395) North Carolina Mar 16, 2009

I use a Toddy system to cold brew, and they say you get less caffeine (and acidity) when cold-brewing.

14. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

I knew you got less acidity, but I thought it was more caffeine. I don't know much about coffee tbh though.

15. Neorebel

Neorebel Savant (365) New Jersey Jun 29, 2005

I wonder what the definitive answer on this is? Seems to be no consensus...

16. Handle

I think the caffeine dissipates the longer it is brewed; with cold-brew, that could be 12 hours or more. You would think it would indeed contain more caffeine, but I think that's just another one of those myths (like a shot of espresso having more caffeine than coffee, or dark roast having more caffeine than light roast, etc.).

17. mountsnow1010

mountsnow1010 Savant (360) Vermont Jan 23, 2009

Well, espresso does contain more caffeine than coffee (by volume) and light roasts have more caffeine than dark roasts (but the difference is apparently negligible).

Regarding people's concerns about caffeine in beer - the FDA specifically has banned alcohol with added caffeine - i.e., not from a natural source. Coffee-infused beers are totally legal.

Source: I worked at the FDA during all of this hullabaloo, and also this: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/29/us/29beer.html

18. ChanChan

ChanChan Advocate (565) California Dec 12, 2009

This thread just gave me a head-ache, or was it the acahol?

franklinn likes this.
  19. Handle

Agreed. It just seems like people think a single shot of espresso is loaded with caffeine, when it's not.

mountsnow1010 likes this.
  20. Momar42

Momar42 Savant (360) Maryland Sep 19, 2010

Always and forever "YES".

21. patkorn

patkorn Aficionado (220) California Aug 30, 2007

I miss four loco with caffeine.

Falcone, JmH, cmmcdonn and 1 other person like this.
  22. It depends on the beer, how the coffee is encorporated, how much is used, etc. I've heard some breweries state that their coffee stouts have negligible levels of caffeine in them. I've heard others say that theirs has the equivalent of a double-shot of espresso in it.

23. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

Might be a dumb question but, Do majority of the popular stouts brewed with coffee contain any caffeine??

24. Mgm54

Mgm54 Savant (375) Illinois Apr 7, 2011

Try Four Loko Coffe Stout..

But truthfully I don't know, I would think not.

25. yamar68

yamar68 Initiate (0) Minnesota Apr 1, 2011

If a beer is brewed with coffee or even just coffee beans, it will have at least trace amounts of caffeine.

26. Yea if coffee has no added caffeine and it has caffeine, then I would assume a coffee stout would have some kind of levels of caffeine.

27. This. I remember reading on a blog that Founders had said FBS has roughly 25mg caffeine per bottle. Can't find the source, and I don't remember it looking particularly reputable. Maybe someone can confirm/deny?

For comparison, that would be roughly in between a cup of hot cocoa and a cup of tea.

28. JRBecks

JRBecks Savant (400) Illinois Apr 3, 2012

That is what I thought. I would assume most brewers/breweries are putting coffee into the mash tun which would be similar to brewing a pot of coffee. Just not sure the effects of the caffeine when it is put through the boil.

29. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

The amount is tiny compared to the banned caffeine-fortified drinks.

A really strong coffee beer would use maybe a pound of coffee in a barrel at most. That's the bean equivalent of 96 servings of strong coffee diluted in 336 12oz servings of beer. So less than 1/3 cup of coffee in each beer.

30. Would laugh if all the teenagers getting blasted of Four Loko moved on to coffee stouts.

Mouserat, TrojanRB, Hdredfern and 2 others like this.
  31. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (380) New York Jul 16, 2011

YES! When pregnant, you obviously can't have either alcohol or caffeine. After my monster was born (4 years ago), I quickly re-developed my alcohol tolerance. Caffeine tolerance never returned. If I were to drink even 1/2 of one of the lovely red bottles in my avatar after 8pm, I'd be up until 3am :( This is a big problem for a girl who lives for coffee stouts.

32. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

I remember seeing somewhere, thought it might have been founder's site, that breakfast stout has about the same amount of caffeine as a cup of hot cocoa.

33. this isn't entirely accurate... the caffeine can't be "deliberately" added. Basically caffeine can't be added to beverage alcohol for the sole purpose of it having caffeine. But if an ingredient "necessary" to flavor contains caffeine, then it is not illegal. This means that coffee stouts are fine, because coffee (which contains caffeine) is necessary to make a "coffee stout". This is also why you can still order a cuba libre, irish coffee, vodka redbull, etc. at a bar.

34. This is an amazing beer.

JuicesFlowing likes this.
  35. jcb7472

jcb7472 Savant (445) Florida Jul 13, 2011

I might be crazy, but it seems like I'm getting a caffeine buzz from Terrapin Wake 'N Bake right now...

ThatCracker likes this.
  36. To all those who believe coffee infused beer is getting them a caffeine buzz, perhaps you are being tricked by the placebo effect; the flavor of coffee plus the minute traces of caffeine in the brew combined with alcohol are tricking your brain into believing you are receiving the effects of drinking a coffee.

You may have encountered this similar effect in some younger people, claiming to be and acting very drunk, even though they have had little to absolutely no alcohol. They believe they are intoxicated because they want to impress others despite their extraordinarily limited or non-existent experience with alcohol.

This is just a proposition, not a factual statement. I mean no disrespect to anyone else's unique experience, which I can only digest from my own perspective.

Cheers, Sláinte, Cin Cin, Salud, Prost, Na zdrowie, Kanpai & Salute!

Roguer likes this.
  37. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Yeah, Kahlua has a small amount of caffeine and it's been around for awhile now, and not going anywhere.

38. all I know is when I drink I 4pack of fbs I sleep like a baby

39. cavedave

Placebo effect or not, after a few Breakfast stouts I definitely have a nice caffeine rush to go with the alcohol buzz. Perfect way to start a day off I must say. Think I'll grab a couple now.