1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is there caffeine in beers brewed with coffee?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Lare453, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Abra

Abra Aficionado (145) Massachusetts Jan 27, 2014

It's really interesting that there doesn't seem to be a solid definitive answer. I'm extremely sensitive to caffeine, but I love the flavor and wish i could enjoy all the wonderful coffee porters/stouts. From experience I feel there is quite a bit of caffeine in these beers. Two Left Hand Milk Stouts one evening and I did not sleep for even a minute. I enjoyed drinking them though! And that's not even a "coffee" beer, it's just one of the flavors.

Not to make things complicated, but who else thinks there should be a caffeine content on the label of these types of beers? Some seem to have way more than others. It makes sense, especially for those of us sensitive to caffeine, to be able to make an informed decision when selecting a beer.
    Just my two cents!
    Jay_Ulreich likes this.
  2. Sponan

Sponan Savant (250) Tennessee Jan 20, 2008

I believe what you are experiencing is known as the "placebo effect". As you stated, Left Hand Milk Stout does not contain coffee.
    vkv822, Jay_Ulreich and Pecan like this.
  3. Jirin

Jirin Savant (310) Massachusetts Apr 28, 2013

That law seems to be an overreaction. I thought the danger with four loco was the amount of caffeine, not the presence of it.
  4. The high amount combined with the high amount of alcohol. I think it was interfering with people knowing just how drunk they really were. And there may have been some adverse reactions with people's hearts, if I recall correctly.
  5. SFNC

SFNC Savant (270) North Carolina Apr 7, 2013

I'm not a scientist, though I do own a lab coat and I can truely say that there is no caffeine in coffee flavored beers, unless you want there to be.
  6. Stugotzo

Stugotzo Savant (495) Florida Jun 13, 2012

ISO: BCBCS Decaf

:confused:
    nophunk and teamwiggum like this.
  7. Ssshhhhhh! The FDA might be listening.
  8. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (425) New York Dec 20, 2006

There was an article about this in the BA magazine years ago and the answer is it depends on the beer, some contain an insignificant amount and some contain as much as a cup of coffee per serving.
    Abra likes this.