1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Is there something wrong with my palate?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AmitC, Jan 12, 2013.

1. AmitC

AmitC Advocate (580) New York Sep 21, 2012

The day before, i had Hopslam, yesterday Green flash West Coast IPA and now i am having Hop Stoopid. I do not feel enough bitterness. In fact they seem to be drinking just normal. I can drink those all day without feeling anything. No burning sensation on tongue, not enough bitter aftertaste. What is wrong with me? Do i need to try higher IBU beers? I found Hoptimum, Ruination, Resin, SN Big Foot, some IPA from Sam Adams ( i guess Latitude 48 - very early in my beer exploration, do not clearly remember but it felt palate wrecking at that time) and Half Cycle from flat12 a local brewery to be adequately bitter.

2. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Champion (840) Michigan May 8, 2006

3. Switch styles & revisit.

I'd suggest scotch ale, old ale, english barleywine, and/or imperial stout.

4. acevenom

acevenom Advocate (545) Louisiana Oct 7, 2011

In short, you're used to it now and you've likely hit the point of burnout with the style. Take a break from hoppy beer for a while and drink something else. When you come back to hoppier beers, you'll appreciate them more.

5. Schwantz

Schwantz Savant (390) Florida Dec 16, 2012

Yes. 2 weeks Yoo hoo n Mountain Dew. You will recover

Docrock likes this.
  6. Docrock

Docrock Savant (435) Illinois Jan 21, 2012

As the old saying goes, " variety is the spice of life". I go on tears of specific styles and with all the great beers available right now it's hard not to keep pounding away. But every couple of weeks a throw in something completely random just to keep it fresh. Had a ton of Saison this summer, but right now is DIPA and stouts for me.

7. AmitC

I had been drinking stouts till December. Then with Zombie Dust, Schlafly Tasmanian IPA, Dale's Pale Ale, Hopsecutioner etc. it all started. And there is not one stout in my fridge right now. Of course there are some Belgians, Old Ales, Saisons, Russian and Italian Imports. I guess i need to go back to them and intersperse. I wanted to get to my IPAs before they loose their freshness. Thanks.

8. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Try some porters with higher IBUs or some black IPAs. I didn't see you mention barleywines either.

9. Too much hops.
    Need other beer style.

10. AmitC

Spent a little too much already, starting Thanksgiving holidays. Will stick with what i have got, not intending to buy any beer for at least a week. There is an ample lot (variety/quantity) wise sitting in my fridge. Not a fan of porters either. Thanks anyway.

11. jrnyc

jrnyc Advocate (630) New York Mar 21, 2010

I am pretty sure I have hit this, also, just cant stop myself from drinking IPAs though :)!

AmitC likes this.
  12. No money for other beer? Try water. Give your hopceptors a break.

beerborn likes this.
  13. I think I'm having a malted barley threshold shift.

14. Call 911 immediately! There is definitely something wrong with you.

15. It's like when you read about a guy that has a head injury and then emerges from a coma and discover that he's gay. I'm pretty sure Hop Stoopid exposed your inner hophead and now you can't go back and just need to deal with it. Either that or your gay. :)

16. Sounds like it's time to start eating raw hop cones.

VncentLIFE and Johnnyramirez like this.
  17. HenrikO

HenrikO Aficionado (205) Sweden Jun 19, 2011

Just go sour for a month. That'll reset your palate.
    Once you've had sour, it's hard to go back to that hoppy shit though.;)

18. Keep the palate guessing.

19. Poor you. The vast, cruel sea of insipid beer that is just barely palatable enough to be spared from the demonic existence of wretched, perpetual hell...From what great well do you find the gusto to further prolong the inevitable?

20. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

If you are a dyed in the wool mega hophead like me, LTS is something you will need to learn to recognize in its early stages, and take proper action to counter. If caught early it only takes a week of switching to sours or English style barleywine to reset the palate. A full blown attack may take 2 weeks to fix. I get it about 3 times a year.

AmitC and fredmugs like this.
  21. Like someone said earlier, eat raw hop cones. That seems to be the only solution to get your hop fix.

22. AmitC

Very true. What are the first signs of LTS onset? An IPA does not taste bitter enough? Also, how long after you start drinking IPAs does this set in - I know it might vary from person to person - but any rough figures you might have are welcome? How about switching to weizenbocks, saisons and strong ales? Does it have to be sours ( i really do not appreciate them yet, except a few raspberry ones, which taste like fruit juice but still i can drink them) or English style barleywines. I would assume anything with less hops should do the trick.

23. I can easily start to get it in as little as a single weekend of drinking too many IPAs. (i.e. visiting Vermont is an almost guarantee)

I typically don't drink much on weekdays, so I usually have a good 4 days or so every week with no beer at all to sort of reboot the palate, and that is usually enough. But, if I had a lot of IPAs the weekend before, I'm naturally inclined to avoid them the following weekend anyway.

24. brewbetter

brewbetter Savant (400) Nauru Jun 2, 2012

You broke your tongue. You need a new one.

25. robboyd

robboyd Savant (295) Indiana Aug 7, 2011

You should take advantage of your tolerance for bitterness and hops as it will hopefully allow you to better distinguish other characteristics of the beers and the more subtle flavors imparted by the hops themselves. IPA was the last style I truly enjoyed because of the intense bitterness but now they are by far my favorite style and amazingly complex. A break from hops in general might not be the medicine you require. Perhaps seek out different single hop IPAs to keep your palate guessing and better define the hops you like on an ongoing basis.

Also, half-cycle is an amazing beer and no slouch in the IBU department. Not surprised you found it adequately bitter. It has replaced Two Hearted as my accessible every day IPA. Drink more of it.

AmitC likes this.
  26. I recently had Tasmanian IPA, and found it to not be very bitter at all.... in fact, it was very well balanced, something that isn't all too common with the style (generally speaking of course). If your looking for more bitterness though, I would highly recommend Hop Wallop.

27. You obviously need a palate re-calibration. AmitC meet Phall curry. That should do the trick.

28. drtth

drtth Champion (860) Pennsylvania Nov 25, 2007

Unfair! A Vindaloo/Phall curry would leave the taste buds incapacitated for days... :)

Zimbo likes this.
  29. BigTomZ

BigTomZ Savant (315) Virginia Apr 14, 2009

Mix it up, develop appreciation for other styles. It doesn't have the be Sours or Saisons.

Some of my favorite less hoppy styles are:

Scotch Ales, Old Ales, English Barleywines, Winter Warmers, etc.

30. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

You need a Half Acre Double Daisy Cutter, it that doesn't give you the bitter bomb you're craving I'd give it up. If not available Furious would do the trick too.

Is it just me or does Green Flash just suck? Never had one I've liked yet.

31. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Yeah, I find when I drink an IPA that I know the taste of and I start missing the bitter backing, and the citrus also is faded like it's a way expired beer, then I know it's coming. Used to be I would drink more hoppy beers anyway, now I stop the first time something seems "missing" in the hop profile of a beer I am familiar with.

Others have chimed in with more recommends of less hoppy or unhopped beer styles, and any of those will do. The great thing is after not drinking hoppy beers for a while you get totally reset and enjoy them again like you did when you first got into them. YMMV, but this is how it is for me.

32. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

After a month or so of HT and Abrasive, I bought a sixer of Caldera. It's undrinkable, and this is one of my beach beers. Also bought a 6er of Sucks and that fine, but middle of the road IPA's are not working for me right now, I'd rather drink Miller Lite. Resetting the palate is a 2X a year deal for me.

33. Try Two-Hearted. If you dont like that, then yes your shit is broken.

nc41 likes this.