Is there too much beer in the PNW?

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by guajolote, Jan 8, 2013.

1. guajolote

guajolote Advocate (530) Oregon Sep 12, 2008

Van Havig answers that question. Quite hilariously, might I add.

2. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,400) Washington Sep 24, 2007 Beer Trader

While I fundamentally agree with him (as I suspect everyone on BA will), I'd like to point out that PDX has the highest percentage of craft beer consumption in the country, right around 30%. SEA is at 25%, and SFO is 20%. So, even in PDX, the vast majority of beer consumed, 70%, is from large domestic producers.

3. crusian

crusian Advocate (665) Oregon May 14, 2010 Beer Trader

Was he drunk too?

4. The PNW needs to shed a few crappy breweries in my local area.

Lordkrystic, hopsbreath and Lazerlobe like this.
  5. kscaldef

kscaldef Champion (855) Oregon Jun 11, 2010 Beer Trader

I'm pretty sure some people have actually asked if we need another coffee shop. Just saying.

In related observations, I notice that a couple out of the 4 Tibetan import stores that opened on Hawthorne last year have since closed.

woemad and OregonHopmonster like this.
  6. OregonHopmonster

OregonHopmonster Savant (330) Oregon Jan 15, 2011 Beer Trader

I think I can get Banh Mi 4 places within walking distance of my office- and I actually applaud that!

7. That was a little pointless but awesome non the less. Thanks.

8. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Advocate (550) Oregon Aug 17, 2005 Beer Trader

Authentic (meaning cheap) Banh Mi, or the trendy $9 things? I'd love having an actual Vietnamese-owned shop nearby so that I could grab a $3 sandwich for lunch, but if I'm going to spend $7-10 on a sandwich I'd rather get a fully loaded sub from East Side instead of something from Double Dragon that leaves me feeling less than full.

Lordkrystic and ggfunk like this.
  9. kscaldef

I've never had a problem with the sandwiches at DD seeming too small, but your appetite may be larger than mine.

10. maltmaster420

They're tasty sandwiches, I'll give them that. I think mainly it's the ratio of size/price that throws me off. For the amount they charge I could go any number of places and get a 1/2lb burger, something from East Side, or half a pizza from someplace like Lonesome's. I guess I just feel like sandwiches are an "every man" sort of meal and shouldn't cost that much...

Come to think of it, that's probably the main reason I almost never go to Kenny and Zuke's, despite their food being delicious.

edit: to keep this beer-related, we should be getting Peche & Brett in tomorrow.

eyeenjoybeer and kscaldef like this.
  11. OregonHopmonster

Not entirely pointless. There are about the same number of brewpubs in walking distance. I would argue more people drink craft beer than eat banh mi. If we can support 4 banh mi places than we should be able to support even more breweries.

12. kscaldef

Yeah, and I didn't mean to say that I think we're oversaturated with beer. (Although, I do think we've hit saturation of $10+/bomber beers.) Just poking fun at a video that's poking fun.

(Also, FWIW, a lot of the hundreds of Oregon wineries are really small. Like 100-1000 cases total production per year. It makes more sense to compare total production volumes rather than number of wineries vs. breweries.)

13. OregonHopmonster

In all serious I have heard this question asked every year or so since I moved here in 1996. Hell, the number of breweries and overall beer culture was a main reason I moved here to begin with. I do agree with Kevin on the recent jump in high-end prices. We have already seen a fair amount of resistance to this (example- stores can still get Firestone Walker 15 from the distributor).

I think the biggest concern right now for Oregon breweries is the number of breweries going bigger- from startups Base Camp, pFriem, Crux, Worthy, etc. to expanding breweries 10 Barrel, Breakside, Alameda, Double Mountain, Fort George, etc. we may see too many breweries relying on distribution. The fight for tap handles and shelf space could get vicious.

I don't think we are even close to saturation on brewpubs (I can't easily walk to one from my house which is a huge problem in its own right).

beertunes likes this.
  14. I am always down for more breweries. Bring em on. Gigantic is an awesome brewery and I will support them as much as I can. I can think of 6 breweries, off the top of my head, that I wouldn't miss if they were to go away. Gigantic is not one of them.

Still, was he just spouting off or what. Was there a portion of that video that I didn't see? I am sure that Portland isn't the only place that question gets asked.

15. distantmantra

distantmantra Advocate (735) Washington May 23, 2011 Beer Trader

I would've been fine with Trade Route going out of business, but they changed their name and bought Three Skulls instead.

16. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (485) Oregon Jun 24, 2012 Verified

I just wish a few new WA breweries would go outside the box and start making more creative beer.

17. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (425) Washington Sep 7, 2009 Beer Trader

I can think of quite a few I wouldn't miss. Start with all "the Rams" and "BJs". (and give the north gate ram brewer a real job at a real brewery).

bifrost17 and jnoble like this.
  18. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Advocate (610) Washington Mar 9, 2008 Verified

Did I accidentally happen upon the SE PDX forum?

ggfunk and MADhombrewer like this.
  19. distantmantra

Schooner Exact, Two Beers and Fremont are working on it, apparently.

20. honkduh

honkduh Savant (355) Oregon Jun 2, 2011 Beer Trader

:)

21. Careful. ;)

22. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (690) Germany Jan 19, 2010 Beer Trader

Upright, Laurelwood and Deschuttes arent in the SE, and I still love going to Lucky Lab beer hall, but I did instantly think this was a PDX forum question:)

23. muchloveforhops3

muchloveforhops3 Champion (775) Oregon Apr 5, 2009 Verified

Word!

24. youradhere

youradhere Advocate (565) Washington Feb 29, 2008 Beer Trader

Probably. I'm beginning to look at them like coffee stands; they all begin to look and taste the same, they scratch an itch, and every once in a while you find a stand whose people put out a good product, and you keep going back provided they don't change up the talent or go broke until you can find the next decent place. Any more it is tough to find a place that doesn't over-bourbon their BAs, over produce IPAs (so the hops fade once you find them), or serve up anemic and thin big beers with too much heat. Just like everyone goes to Starbucks for the quotidian cup-o-joe, the same could be said about a lot of the breweries around here. I dunno, maybe going to Little Rock for a bit will force me to reevaluate whether or not I have become jaded to the PNW beer scene.

25. I will trade Burnside and Breakside for Fremont and Black Raven.

distantmantra likes this.
  26. Gobigvt7

Gobigvt7 Savant (350) Oregon Mar 15, 2008

I wouldn't trade Breakside for just about anything. Wow.

guajolote likes this.
  27. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Washington Dec 16, 2011

Don't even think about it!!! They belong to us!!! You can't have them! Maybe we can talk if you give up Hair of the Dog and Cascade.....

MADhombrewer likes this.
  28. You can have flat of the dog.

29. Mages64

Mages64 Savant (425) Washington Sep 7, 2009 Beer Trader

how about we trade you scuttle butt or diamond knot for fort george:) Even better, georgetown AND Mac n jacks for deschutes:)

bifrost17 likes this.
  30. distantmantra

Grey Parrot for Hair of the Dog. Grey Parrott is so exclusive and rare that to the naked eye, they appear to have gone out of business. That's just how hard it is to get their beers.

beertunes likes this.
  31. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Advocate (640) Oregon Mar 2, 2008

You can have Cascade. Let us know when you can send Fremont or Black Raven down. Hair of the Dog and Upright are off limits, though.

hopsbreath likes this.
  32. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,400) Washington Sep 24, 2007 Beer Trader

We'll give you Bellevue (the whole damn city), and throw in Kent, Sedro-Wooley, and Aberdeen. You give us Bend. Fair deal, amirite?

Dogfishipas likes this.
  33. SeaAle

SeaAle Savant (485) Oregon Jun 24, 2012 Verified

I would take Cascade for Black Raven. :)

bifrost17 likes this.
  34. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Advocate (610) Washington Mar 9, 2008 Verified

I assume, if we're willing to give you Red Peak, we can just name our own price.

beertunes and NWer like this.
  35. Reidrover

Reidrover Champion (755) Oregon Jan 14, 2003

I read a year or so ago that beers brewed in Oregon accounted for 40% of all draft beer sales.
    Is PDX behind the rest of us hayseeds?

36. maltmaster420

My recollection was that the 40% figure was just draft beer, and the 25-30% figure includes package and draft.

beertunes likes this.
  37. dirtylou

dirtylou Champion (945) Washington May 12, 2005 Beer Trader

You really aren't supposed to be talking about that...

guajolote likes this.
  38. woemad

woemad Poobah (1,195) Washington Jun 8, 2003 Beer Trader

No. There are too few bars that rotate their beers regularly enough or willing to take a chance on something different.

39. NWer

NWer Advocate (740) Washington Mar 10, 2009 Beer Trader

I like things the way they are. What is all this trade bullshit?
    Well, OK. They can have Red Peak for Pelican.

beertunes likes this.