is this a good deal? or make my own?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by monkeybeerbelly, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,122) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I've done it twice, and I can say that after you pay for all of the equipment you're getting close. I liked having extra freezer space in the basement with a full fridge, so keep that in mind. If I could put that on my first floor I definitely would, even at $349, because it looks good and it's nice - I don't want an ugly old fridge. If I had to put that in my basement, however, it'd be a waste of good looks and I'd just go for the "old ugly". BTW, kegging is the way to go !!!

monkeybeerbelly likes this.
  3. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

that is a piece of shit. if they are selling it for 349, it is a piece of shit. there is no way that the appliance can be anything but a piece of shit and I will tell you why. 1, we have built about a dozen, for business for personal use and repaired many many more.

a crappy mini fridge is about $150 or more. this is bigger than a mini fridge.
    an empty CO2 tank is about $60
    regulator $50
    faucet $20
    elbow shank $20
    tubing, beer nuts, oetikers, drip tray $50

this is wholesale cost, not retail. and the low end of material I might add. a great faucet is $45, a great regulator is $55. a great tower is $100.
    so 150+60+50+20+20+50= $350.
    add freight, customs tax, markup, profit all around etc. and there is no way corners have not been cut. and this is for two faucets!? no way in hell. I don't care what kind of great deal they get from the suppliers, no way in hell.

so, cheapo fridge with crap thermostat. foam.
    plastic tower and coated abs faucet. junk. foam.
    short beverage line of questionable quality. foam, and sometimes a funny taste.
    no tower cooler. foam.
    plastic interior, move a 160# keg in that, see how it holds up.
    single gauge unreliable regulator. that will be the first thing to go. guaranteed.

now, you don't need to buy the Beverage Air BM 23, at about $1300+. but ask yourself how there is such a wide gap between the good kegerators and the $350 kegerators from Best Buy.

Don't buy your TV from a draft beer business and don't buy your kegerators from an electronics store.

yes, building a keezer or kegerators is a great idea, especially if you are doing homebrew.
    Cheers.

#3 billandsuz, Nov 16, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    monkeybeerbelly likes this.
  4. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

how the heck can i argue with that?

Joshjv and Jake_Ramrod like this.
  5. billandsuz

Pooh-Bah Society

you wouldn't be the first person who bought the Best Buy kegerator and came here looking for solutions. I hear Bed Bath and Beyond sells them as well. right next to the cotton sheets.
    Cheers.

Jake_Ramrod and monkeybeerbelly like this.
  6. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (1,162) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Wow, Bill you are on fire today.

billandsuz likes this.
  7. billandsuz

Pooh-Bah Society

I built two in the basement this weekend. the idea of bad draft beer makes my eye twitch at the moment.

im ok. im ok. im ok. just typing fast. im ok...

Jwale73 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.