Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Is this pre-boil gravity bad?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by slayerhellfire, Mar 4, 2012.

1. So I just measured my pre boil gravity and it was suppose to be 1.043 it was 1.032 using assumed 70% efficiency is that really badd
  2. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Savant (435) New York Dec 20, 2006

What is your target post boil volume and gravity? What is your pre boil volume? Without this info it is impossible to answer your question in any meaningful way.
  3. 6.11 gallons was post boil , gravity was suppose to be 1.043, I am doing a 5 gallon batch,
  4. 6.11 was what brew pal said but my actual volume was give or take but was pretty close
  5. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (930) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009 Verified

You formulated for 5 gallons and got 6.11? If so, that would be the reason right here.

Edit: just saw your later post about expecting 6.11.
  6. Homebrew42

6.11 post boil or pre boil? I'm confused, something here doesn't make sense. Please fill out the following chart:

Measured Pre Boil Volume:
    Measured Pre Boil Gravity:
    Target Post Boil Volume:
    Target Post Boil Gravity:
  7. pre boil I am sorry 6.11 brew pal told me
  8. Homebrew42

Can you answer this question, what is your target post boil gravity? What do you want the OG of this beer to be?

The question in your original post is very simply to answer if you'd just provide this one piece of information.
  9. NiceFly

NiceFly Savant (395) Tajikistan Dec 22, 2011

Seems not.
    slayerhellfire, put the crack down and focus. Pissing your pants only keeps you warm for so long.
  10. post boil is suppose to be 1.052
  11. Homebrew42

Thank you.

If you have 6.11 gallons with a pre boil gravity of 1.032 and you boil it down to 5 gallons then your post boil gravity will be 1.039. So yes, you are going to be about 13 points off your target OG, that is less than ideal. Sounds like you got crappy extraction efficiency.
  12. yes target post boil gravity is suppose to be 1.052
  13. I will let you know what the post boil gravity comes too..:(
  14. :) post boil is 1.055 I must of read my meter wrong which I know I did
  15. jokelahoma

jokelahoma Savant (460) Missouri May 9, 2004

It's entirely possible you didn't stir your wort before measuring pre-boil gravity. The gravity gets lower as more sugars are washed away. You'll have some mixing just from the action of running the stuff into the brew kettle, but it's still possible to have striations, leaving you with inaccurately low readings. Also, there's the heat adjustment to factor in. Mash runoff tends to be on the warm side, and reads lower than it is. Based on temperature, it can be as much as 10 points or more off.
  16. Yeah the final gravity after the boil was exactly where it was suppose to be at 1.055 , but Iam happy now hope the brew turns out good. I did not stir it at all when I took my preboil gravity to the op, so you might be right
  17. inchrisin

inchrisin Savant (480) Indiana Sep 25, 2008

If it's a little thin it just drinks quicker. You can free up some space and go at it again.