Is your beer consumption increasing, decreasing or flat?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Dtapeski, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Aficionado (195) Colorado Oct 26, 2012

I've always drank a decent amount of beer, but feel in the last year or so, it really has ramped up and don't foresee it slowing down.

I think my researching is solely responsible for this. Before, I would always have Dales, Odell's IPA, SNPA...in the fridge and be happy. Then I started noticing blogs, found BA and after many months of stalking, joined. Now my purchases are dominated by limited releases (had my first delicious Sucaba last night), seasonal beers and new beers to the market.

Honestly not sure if I got the 2nd fridge to be able to have more beer on hand or if I had too much beer and had to get the 2nd fridge.

Shagator and denver10 like this.
  2. Stevedore

Stevedore Poobah (1,045) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012 Verified

Been flat for me and I haven't been around on BA that long. One or two beers usually every other night. Not much of a change on the weekend- maybe 1 more beer than on the weekdays. I do open up larger format bottles when friends are over though- still makes it 1 or 2 more beers than on the weekdays.

I think because of this though, I'm slowly racking up a pretty decent sized "cellar" for which a better name is "hoard". Luckily I've been delving into porters and stouts lately, there's not as short of a deadline for consumption as there are for more hoppy brews like APAs, IPAs, DIPAs.

Dtapeski likes this.
  3. VDODSON

VDODSON Savant (320) North Dakota Feb 5, 2013

It has increased since joining this site. I have never purchased liquor online, but have spent $300.00 since this last month on Stone and Surly products, as well as a couple six packs of Lagunitas. The day is not complete for me without enjoying a good beer. Still trying to hunt down some Pliny though, found a site that gets shipments every Wednesday so maybe I'll luck out.

4. gatornation

gatornation Poobah (1,065) Minnesota Apr 18, 2007 Verified

Same as it ever was

ChanChan likes this.
  5. Probably the same, but more spread out. A few years ago would only drink a couple times a week but would put down half a case each time. Now I'm drinking more days but way fewer beers each time.

6. Increasing because I got into craft beer pretty late so Im not burnt out yet. Plus Im not one of those guys who had to try every really hoppy IPA he could find thus Im not burnt out on that style either.

7. dav2080

dav2080 Savant (265) Wisconsin Mar 11, 2012 Subscriber

I thought it would slow down this winter. No such thing. By the way, Winter Storm Warning tonight till Tuesday. Lots of beer to try. Barleywines, IPAs, Sours, Stouts, Imperial Stouts, etc. Summer is coming and sitting in the sun drinking a new beer will be heaven on earth. For tonight- throw another log on the fire and open another Surly Furious and learn some barbershop songs.
    PS. I left the shovel next to the back door.

8. loafinaround

loafinaround Savant (405) New York Jul 16, 2011 Verified

volume wise, it has increased, but total alcohol consumtion remains constant. I hate getting a buzz... so I usually put away a bcbs w/o a buzz... lately, it is 2 sucks. Either way, it's about equal in alcohol content.

The very rare evenings I put away a large BC (coffee or cherry rye) or something similar, I do get a buzz. But no more than 1X a month.

9. Satchboogie

Satchboogie Advocate (620) New Hampshire Oct 16, 2010 Subscriber

My consumption fluxuates a lot based on releases, my mood, the season or weather, etc.

Longstaff likes this.
  10. Increasing as I am nearing 1,000. After that I will probably cool off a bit.

11. JoeBloe

JoeBloe Savant (380) New York Nov 16, 2007

Whaaaa?????

ant880, bryanole27 and MattyG85 like this.
  12. black13

black13 Savant (465) Oregon Apr 11, 2010 Verified

Overall it's decreasing.

But.......I'm increasing my consumption of sours and gueuze's!

13. fx20736

fx20736 Advocate (590) New York Mar 7, 2009 Verified

My consumption has increased considerably. Beer went from a beverage I drank in the Summer plus a few English imports at Christmas to an indispensable part of my life. After my family and work, beer is as important as anything else. I drink every single day and I take the 2 beers I have after work each day as seriously as the 2 cups of coffee I have every morning. My weekly consumption is 2+ cases a week and beer expenditures represent 90% of my discretionary spending.

14. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Advocate (735) Minnesota Feb 6, 2013 Verified

Flat...2 beers a day.

15. After many years of drinking wine daily, I got into beer about four years ago. Have really enjoyed it, but am finding that I'm cutting back consumption as I move into my early 60's.

16. mecummins

mecummins Savant (425) Illinois Nov 16, 2012

Increasing, but thankfully the quality has all improved drastically. I like to post at least 2 reviews on my blog every week, so that means that I have to photograph & take detailed notes on them every weekend. Since I can't just drink the same old thing now, I've been forced to seek out new beers. It's a hard job, but somebody's got to do it....

17. strohme2

strohme2 Advocate (575) Michigan Nov 3, 2007 Verified

Definitely has been increasing. With one-time only releases, whales and harder to find seasonals around I found I HAD to hunt them down. My fridges filled up fast and I was drinking a lot more more often. I'm currently taking a break from all the beer.

18. I fluctuate but when I find something new that I dig a lot, my consumption goes up in the short term. I try not to do more than 2 beers an evening but there are evenings when I spike to 4. Like someone said above, I'm relatively new to the game so I am not burnt out yet and hopefully won't be any time soon.

19. Hopsiam14

Hopsiam14 Advocate (500) Minnesota Jan 23, 2013 Verified

Probably pretty flat. I would say I average 1 beer per weekday and I usually do a tasting 2-3 times per month on weekends. Pretty standard rate each week.

20. This thread could easily be a poll. with relative ease at the very least. that being said, still on the rise. Go Bruins!

Celtics76 likes this.
  21. JamesShoemaker

JamesShoemaker Advocate (655) Michigan Sep 21, 2012 Verified

I believe you mean "Go Wings!" As beer has gotten to be an expensive habit, and I'm going after primarily limited, special releases, I would say less.

WolfSnyder likes this.
  22. Me too. I nod off after about 2 or three beers.

RobertColianni likes this.
  23. beercanman

beercanman Savant (485) Ohio Dec 17, 2012

Decreasing. I mainly go towards high abv beer. A couple of those and I'm set. Summer time it will go up just for the fact that I love snpa. I can easily crush 12 of those. Depends what I'm doing to. Campfires and canoeing ect usually a lot more. Chillin at home not so much.

24. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Jan 15, 2011 Subscriber

I was really strict last year that I only got to have a beer if I worked out that day to justify the calories, with the occasional exception for sporting events or cookouts and other get togethers ofc. But then I got lazy on that around Christmas and basically just started having a beer a day. So, yeah, that wasn't working and it's back to the original rule, unless I have a day at work that beats me like a pop singer and feel I've earned it.

25. Was turning into 3 or 4 a night, so for the last 3 weeks I have put myself on mid-week prohibition, then try to have only 2 or 3 a night on the weekends. Worst decision I have ever made but I am sticking to it - at least for a little while longer. My pocketbook is much happier...

26. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (425) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Consumption has dropped about 50% from last year, old age will do that. But beer hoarding has increased since I started hiring people from around the country. After I hire them I send them money and they bring me their local beers. So between drinking less and getting cross country beer shipments my amount of beer on hand has skyrocketed.

27. VeganUndead

VeganUndead Champion (770) Virginia Apr 25, 2012 Verified

The number of nights I am drinking has pretty much been maintained, but quantity has diminished as quality has increased.

28. I drink more in winter months than warmer months, but I also buy more in winter because of all the rare releases. Year over year, I would say my consumption is pretty flat.

29. atomic

atomic Savant (480) Illinois Sep 22, 2009 Verified

Ever since becoming a BA, skyrocketing.

30. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poobah (1,220) Pennsylvania Dec 4, 2004 Verified

31. jzeilinger

jzeilinger Poobah (1,220) Pennsylvania Dec 4, 2004 Verified

It's gone up and it's gone down, I don't keep track.

32. WynnO

WynnO Advocate (535) Florida Oct 24, 2003

Decreased slightly. My goal for 2013 is purchase no beer from any store. My budget is getting tighter so I'll be pulling from stock only. :-(

33. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (670) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Increasing as a result of working within the industry, sometimes I think I should take a break...

34. Derranged

Derranged Advocate (535) New York Mar 7, 2010

It varies. I periodically lose and regain interest. At this point, my interest has dwindled a bit after a 3 month run.

35. brikelly

brikelly Savant (465) Massachusetts Apr 11, 2010 Verified

Flat? No way, I never consume flat beer.

djrn2 likes this.
  36. djrn2

djrn2 Poobah (1,080) New Jersey Nov 4, 2009

Definitely gone up. I usually pick up whatever is new at my local shop and recently there's something new every time I go. It's both good and bad. I love trying new beer but my fat ass dosent.

37. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (720) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007 Verified

Decreasing, just because i am trying to lose a significant amount of weight.

38. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (215) Texas Jan 27, 2013

Decreasing .. Prior to getting into craft beers I was a "lite" beer person .. Now I have less beers but WAY up in quality and ABV ... Much happier now.

39. Consumption for me has increased. I switched from drinking bourbon and beer to mostly just beer. Additionally, I learned how to brew. So instead of replacing some of the micro-brews I buy with my own brew, I pretty much just drink homebrew in addition to whatever I was drinking before.

40. ShanePB

ShanePB Champion (930) Pennsylvania Sep 6, 2010 Verified

Just curious... how do you get to 2+ cases a week if you drink 2 beers per day after work? Say you work 5 days a week, that's 10 beers for those days. You really go through another 38 beers on the weekend? o_O