1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

ISO: Trade Value of Pliny the Younger (growler)?

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by SocraticW, Jan 9, 2013.

1. I have a friend that owns a beer bar. He told me that I could fill a growler (small 375ml) of RR Pliny the Younger when released next month. I have no idea what the trade value on this would be. Any help?
  2. cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war.
  3. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

Fairly high if you were a reputable trader and could verify method of fill.
    VonZipper and Pelican5 like this.
  4. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

Probably something pretty good, and limited/brewery only, like a $15-$20 brewery only bottle of a sub-3000 bottle count release.

It'll also probably get you included in dubious "Shitty-trader" circles like the ones I frequent, for obtaining a beer strictly to auction it off.

If you have a regular trading partner on the east coast, south, etc. I would suggest sending it as a nice surprise.
    libbey, Shagtastic, quirkzoo and 10 others like this.
  5. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

So much THIS in one post.
    pschul4, cbeer88, Gonzoillini and 2 others like this.
  6. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Can confirm it will be filled using the Socratic Method.
  7. huskermike12

huskermike12 Savant (435) Iowa Nov 14, 2011

Am I watching the movie Groundhog Day? I swear I have seen this question somewhere before.
    LoPo87, Bluecane, BobZ and 4 others like this.
  8. trade value will be pretty high. well pedigreed beer, tastes great. it would be nice to send it as an extra, but half the people telling you that would probably do the same thing if they were the sole owner (or nearly sole owner) of similarly rare beers.

by the way, you're not alone; several growlers floated around san diego last year, and i am sure that that's what this guy was getting at (even though he claimed he was "just mistaken"). know the right people, and you'll get a growler. but you want one again next year? keep your trap shut about it.
  9. FREAKIN A!!!!! DRINK THE FREAKIN BEER!!!! OR.... do some research, find someone who has the beer you want, offer them your Younger, I bet you wont hear no. BUT DRINK THE FREAKIN BEER!!!!
    johnyb, VonZipper, pschul4 and 6 others like this.
  10. I plan on dumping a few glasses down the front of my shirt and wringing the shirt out out into a full growler when I get home.
    Brew33, 4kbrianb and evilc like this.
  11. I plan on shipping a hundo box of Surly to the guy who got me a growler last year, then call the guy that shared one with me, then call 2 more people whom I drink with quite often, then enjoying that bitch. Either that, or I'm getting a shit ton of HOTD.
    Penguin3200 likes this.
  12. kscaldef

kscaldef Advocate (680) Oregon Jun 11, 2010

And close to zero if you were a relative unknown with no trade references listed?
    BobZ and lurchingbeast like this.
  13. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Initiate (0) Ohio Apr 5, 2011

Doh.... Not suitable for the non-streaking public.
  14. lol. as a further detail to my narrative about locals dropping trading partners, i was told of the following exchange:

local buddy: "hey can you get me x local, rare beer?"
    his east coast, south, etc. trading partner: "no sorry, i don't have any bottles of it."
    local buddy: "all right, no problem."

::his east coast, south, etc. trading partner posts later: "ft: x local, rare beer"::

i've stopped encouraging people to be generous with their shit. i swear it doesn't work out. op, if you have a trading partner who has hooked you up that you owe, then by all means send him younger... you'd be a dick not to.

but if you send it out hoping you'll be repaid in kind, don't.
  15. That sucks for your local buddy and would probably piss me off a bit. In all honesty though, if the generosity is there hoping you'd be repaid in kind, then it's for the wrong reasons. Beer karma will take care of itself. If I sent a growler of younger to a reg partner would I expect him to send me back something ultra rare? Nah. But beer karma will hook me up at some point in time. Being generous with hopes of it being repaid is completely going about it the wrong way.
    huskermike12 likes this.
  16. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Wow, someone broke your heart and spirit, it is becoming more obvious how damaged you are! ;)
    bugdoc, pschul4, cavedave and 6 others like this.
  17. SpeedwayJim

SpeedwayJim Advocate (700) New York Jun 19, 2009

In my experience, the people who are generous never need to be told they should be and the one's that aren't, no amount of encouragement will cause them to act differently. So I guess I agree, there's no real point in encouraging someone to "send it as an extra".
    VonZipper, cavedave, Photekut and 2 others like this.
  18. Pliny sux
    Knifestyles likes this.
  19. what's the difference between the certainty of "beer karma will hook me up" and expecting generosity to be repaid?

i don't believe in karma, beer or otherwise. the idea that the universe plays a zero-sum game with sins and boons is fundamentally ridiculous to me. while the community can be quite generous, you can't really undo, say, a bad trader who makes off with beer. you can dilute it, as people will frequently send the victims hookups, but it doesn't exactly go away: someone is still out beer. so we already know it's not zero-sum.

anyway, i don't believe most people are all that zen about expecting to be repaid. i just happen to voice it, but anyone saying otherwise is probably being a little dishonest with themselves. look at the angst in the "are extras mandatory?" thread, or over the brendanrandomnumbers guy taking advantage of bifs (which are karma/trust games). most people have significant expectations when they send out a nice bottle or are otherwise generous.

i felt like i learned this lesson early on, and was honest enough with myself to know that i'd be unhappy with it in the future. now, when my buddies start expressing some of the same ideas, i'm not big enough not to say, "i told you so..."

you have no idea.
  20. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Namibia Nov 8, 2012

Thanks for bringing some levity to the situation.
  21. Thanks for the info. I honestly was more curious than anything. I will likely send it to some good beer friends who wouldn't normally have the chance to try PTY. I am very new to BA FYI. So no trading references to speak of on BA. Hopfully that will change in the near future :)
    MordorMongo likes this.
  22. When I say beer karma I mean if I happen to stumble upon something at a shop I wasn't expecting to get, something along those lines. I understand everything you're saying, and maybe it's because I'm a noob and haven't been burned yet, but I am being completely honest when I say I wouldn't expect anything amazing in return if I send something amazing. Now, if I get a cellar full of hard to find whales and I get burned will my outlook change, that may very well be the case. But I can genuinely say as a person I enjoy being generous.

As for the brendanrandomnumbers BIF situation, I think it was more of a repeat offender thing that ticked people off. Again, I understand everything you're saying, but I truly think that sending generous extras to an established partner is better than auctioning it for whales. IMO.

Talk to me if and when I get burned and I may have a change of heart
  23. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I don't expect anything, and I replied in the Brendan thread not because I was hurt personally but because BIF's should be about sharing not profiting, and that expectation is not selfishness it is justice-mindedness.

I replied in the extras thread, not because I feel entitled to extras, but because they are de rigeur, and anyone who doesn't send them without telling their trading partner first is looking to win the trade. Not getting extras in a trade means only one thing to me, that person isn't someone I want to trade with in future.

Regarding Beer Karma, I have found it works. Consistently the more beer I share, the more I get and have shared with me. I just brought 17 bottles to a stout tasting. Guaranteed I will have more than 17 bottles come my way in near future. Perhaps your problem is with the name Karma? Sounds more to me like you are just a cynic, and cynics are the most self actualizing of all folks in my experience. For those convinced that nothing that goes around comes around, nothing invariably does.
  24. but bif's are a closed system - everyone gets something back. wouldn't sharing be better exemplified by lif's?

that's what i said: there is an expectation of extras. you were generous, so you expect them to be generous. whether the motivation is because it is "proper," "customary," "justice-minded," etc. doesn't matter; the expectation is there.

sounds like an expectation.

yes, i am a cynic. i consider it a more realistic worldview.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

Well I won't argue the semantics of your arguments, as that is their sum total, but the idea that a cynic finds his views to be confirmed in the real world surprises me not at all.
  26. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) California Jan 27, 2012

Levitation just needs a hug.

A realist is a realistic world view.
  27. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

someone would have to find her first, she hides among us in plain sight. :cool:
  28. evilc

Why is that?
  29. because some people react badly to my posts, so i stay anonymous.

there's only one person who has ever seen me log in as levitation... try asking that woman to do it sometime.
    MordorMongo likes this.
  30. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

You missed a perfect chance to quote Archer. hope you can live with yourself :p

This depends on what the end goal is. If the end goal is tangible (beer) then I agree with you. If the end goal is intangible (happiness) then I completely disagree with you, at least in this example. Sure the person that sent the victim of the bad trader some "I'm sorry that happened to you" beers then that person is out those beers, but sender gets a much better feeling inside than they would have otherwise. I like to think, in terms of happiness, this whole beer world we live in is obscenely plus-sum.
    libbey, VonZipper and RochesterAaron like this.
  31. from what i've read in the trading forum, i'm not sure...
  32. evilc

I doubt you care! Are you in the local SD "scene" too? Like we can't walez bro at a tasting room sometime?
  33. evilc

Troll account? You mean to tell me his real name isn't Levi Bruh?
  34. I will take my generally optimistic nature in addition to getting burned a few times over a cynical nature any day.
  35. pschul4

pschul4 Advocate (615) Illinois Jan 7, 2011

That's where I've encountered the most happiness. Countless amazing relationships I never would have had if I hadn't ventured into the trading ring. Don't let a couple bad apples ruin your whole pie
    libbey likes this.
  36. Levi Bruh directly translates to Whales Bro in a lost Indian tongue - think about it
    Levitation and ehammond1 like this.
  37. crushedvol

crushedvol Savant (265) Illinois Jan 29, 2008

ISO
  38. it doesn't matter who i am... what matters is my plan. no one cared who i was until i put on the mask.