1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Isohumulous ( Bitterness acid found in hops ) may reduce chances of obesity and diabetes!

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by matthaslaservision, Dec 2, 2012.

1. AmitC

AmitC Advocate (545) New York Sep 21, 2012

That is one more reason for me to drink my favorite style.
  2. Cerveza

Cerveza Aficionado (125) California Jun 26, 2012

Yeah..... that's the only reason why I drink.
    jbeezification likes this.
  3. JSaint

JSaint Aficionado (110) Wisconsin Aug 26, 2010

Now this is means for a SN Celebration. Ha!
  4. Doctor says this therefore it must be true []-[]
  5. Hows the whole liver problem thing coming along?
    franklinn and Azzy like this.
  6. So why am I still developing a beer belly? :rolleyes:
  7. It's the snacks you eat along with the beer, not the beer itself ;)
    Dannywhitewash likes this.
  8. Kopfschuss

Kopfschuss Advocate (520) Oregon Aug 19, 2009

So the acid from the hops does wonders, but what about all the calories that are needed to intake these in beer form? Seems that if taken as a supplement vs beer it would have more positive affects. More research is needed I am sure, but it seems a little far fetched that, beer = weight loss. Interesting article nonetheless. I hope to hear more from this research as time goes on.
  9. This doesnt concern obesity, but I just bought Tom's deodorant to try it out and low and behold it contains Humulus lupulus, aka HOPS.

From the web site;

Unpleasant odor is caused by skin bacteria when we sweat. The “bitter principles” that help hops to preserve beer also, it turns out, fight odor. Our research team has shown that our hops extract inhibits the growth of odor-causing bacteria (J Cosmet Dermatol. 2009, 8: 197-204). Hops acts by causing leakage in the bacterial cell membrane, which impairs bacterial function and therefore prevents odor formation. In addition, our special combination of hops and chamomile CO2 extracts used in the Natural Sensitive Deodorant Sticks has been tested in a clinical study for its soothing properties. We use hops in our Natural Original Deodorant Sticks, our Natural Sensitive Deodorant Sticks and our Natural Long-Lasting Deodorant Sticks
  10. Wait...what? Reduced chances of obesity and body odor control. I'm doing something wrong here......
  11. Isohumulones.
    Patrick likes this.
  12. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (685) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Not enough beer, obviously.
    ImJ2x and jbeezification like this.
  13. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (820) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

Meth produces faster weight loss results.
  14. parris

parris Savant (270) Massachusetts Jan 18, 2010

I'm going to referring to double IPAs as diet beer.
    afrokaze likes this.
  15. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (915) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

I have noticed that I have started drinking much since I got into craft beer this year and I have not had the typical weight gain as I have had in the past once October comes around.
  16. MaineMike

MaineMike Savant (290) Maine Jan 22, 2011

So at what point does an IPA's ability to fight obesity begin to fade? I wonder if Pliny is more or less effective at preventing obesity than Heady. Then there's the whole "drinking form the can" debate...
    ericj551, jbeezification and jrnyc like this.
  17. DIPA = Diet Beer?
  18. This actually is true, to an extent. Bar snacks tend to be calorie dense carbs or fat, and when you're drinking, it's very easy to lose a feel for when you are 'full'. And while your body is busy burning off the beer, it just can't handle all those extra calories from the snacks. To look at it another way - a single handful of nuts or pretzels might have just as many (or more) calories than the beer you are drinking.
  19. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

So that's why I keep gaining weight. Not drinking enough DIPAs.
  20. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Diet IPA
  21. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Champion (890) New York Aug 25, 2010

Well, they're saying the isohumulones are causing the weight loss, but they aren't taking into consideration the fact that the isohumulones are in beer, which has calories and alcohol. So it's like drinking Diet Coke and eating a cheeseburger with fries: You're not kidding anyone but yourself.
    Maybe there's a compound in beer, that, when isolated, seems to demonstrate a beneficial effect in mice, but the beer we're drinking tonight is definitely not staving off diabetes or weight gain.
    Some folks have to cut back on drinking beer precisely because it can directly contribute to health issues like weight gain and diabetes.

Sorry for the sour grapes, but let's not kid ourselves, eh? Just make sure the beer you drink is worth the death you will suffer...

;)
  22. start chewing hops instead of gum.
    fmccormi likes this.

23. the study is about hops not beer. I wasn't suggesting drinking more beer promotes good health, i'm saying incorperating hops into your diet if at all possible may have some positive results.
  24. yes im aware of the typo.
  25. Humulone has to isomorized to isohumulone by high temperature and time at the temp. That is why the bittering hops that result in the isohumulone in beer at put in the boil for 60 minutes or more. You will get isohumulone at lower temperature (as long as >180F or so) and time, but the amount produced drops off dramitacally.

Eating raw hops would rather be like wearing a hair shirt. Edit - they taste bad.
  26. i actually really like chewing on hop pellets, but that's just me i guess haha
  27. This is great news but I do have a question:
    When will the thread start about breweries needing to put this info on their labels?
  28. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (750) New York Oct 24, 2010

Yep, I'd like to try it.
  29. lester619

lester619 Savant (325) Wisconsin Apr 17, 2009

So all I have to do is drink a bunch of 300 calorie beers and I will never have to worry about being obese. This is great news!
  30. I had hops blended into vanilla ice cream and it was horrible. I will stick to getting my hop doses via beer.