Issue with Munton's Carbonation Tablets

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by rcjennings, Jul 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcjennings

rcjennings Savant (1,047) Jun 3, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

I have been experimenting with different carbonation methods recently. I found a bag of Munton's carbonation tabs at a homebrew shop in Nashville, TN and decided to give them a shot. The package recommends 3-5 tabs to each 12 ounce bottle. It also says carbonation will take about a week.

I have used other carbonation drops in the past and have observed active carbonation within a few days. But these Munton's tabs have barely broken up in the bottle after over a week; some of them still look like they did in the package. I'm worried that I've ruined potentially good beer by trying to carbonate them with a bad product. I've used them in three different beers, so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the beer, itself.

Does anyone know anything about these tabs? Has anyone experienced this issue? And do you have any suggestions for how to handle it?

2. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

I've always heard bad things about carb tabs. Table sugar works great, it's a PITA to pour in each bottle though.
    I'd recommend getting a bottling bucket so you can batch prime with table sugar. It's cheaper than buying those stupid tabs every time, and you get better results and better control over carbonation.

As far as your current situation you can try gently tipping the bottles upside down and rightside up a few times. I wouldn't want to shake up the bottles vigorously or anything though.

3. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

+1 on getting/using a bottling bucket. Or move to kegging.

4. kennyg

kennyg Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2007 Illinois

I've had great luck batch priming by adding a dextrose solution to my bottling bucket and giving a couple gentle swirls.
    http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

I realize this doesn't help with your current situation but figured I'd share anyhow.:slight_smile:
    Cheers!

5. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Maven (1,271) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

The solution to pouring sugar into each bottle in one word: Domino Dots

6. slusk

slusk Initiate (0) Sep 28, 2009 Virginia

I too prefer the batch priming method but when I did bottle prime, I had bad luck with muntons tabs. I found the coopers tabs dissolved better and were more consistent, and you only need 1 for each bottle. The down side of using drops IMO is the cost. 1 bag of coopers drops will do about 5 gallons. The bottling bucket costs $10 and the corn sugar is much cheaper. If you're set on bottle priming, I'd be inclined to go with Herb's domino dots... it's a cheaper option for bottle priming.

7. epic1856

epic1856 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2006 California

I have used them.

They do not take 1 week to carbonate. It is more like 3-4 weeks before proper carbonation. I would not use them as my primary method of carbonation though. I use them when I want to bottle condition a 6 pack and the rest of the beer goes in the keg.

8. basscram

basscram Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2006 Maine
    Deactivated

I have used the brewers best carb tabs in 22oz bottles with excellent results. Letting them sit for at least 4 weeks is good. Depending on the carbonation level you want, you may want them to sit longer but people I have given beers to which I have conditioned with these tablets have given me rave reviews of hissing and good bubbles and well, good results. Of course, this may be luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.