1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Comment IT Forward: To Like or not to Like, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Site' started by Todd, Apr 5, 2013.

?

Should Likes return to IT Forward?

Poll closed Apr 12, 2013.
  1. No

37 vote(s)
    13.1%
  2. Yes; rules apply

245 vote(s)
    86.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

We disabled/purged Likes in both the ISO:FT (ages ago) and IT Forward (this week) forms as we felt they weren't needed given the nature of the posts, and after reviewing the IT Forward forum we also discovered the many of the Likes were for memes, non-beer pics, videos or other nonsense posts; all of which are against forum rules. Basically, the Like system was being heavily abused and encouraged people to continually break the rules.

As with all changes, some people were not pleased with this. We understand, but we hope you understand where we're coming from too.

Anyway, perhaps we can meet in the middle.

Should we allow Likes again? We'd consider it, but only if those participating in the IT Forward forum abide by the site rules like everyone else.

No need for a discussion. Simple poll. Yes or no. We'll base our decision on the outcome in one week.

In the meantime, please follow the rules; this too will influence our decision.

Thanks.
    DBijnagte and duceswild like this.
  2. ehammond1

ehammond1 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008

Thanks for the opportunity at an open dialoge and a chance at an unintimidating conversation regarding the topic.
  3. claaark13

claaark13 Advocate (635) Indiana Nov 29, 2007

Well, I vote "Yes", as I just noticed I lost over 500 likes.

Also, in the IT Forward forum, the threads are more of one large conversation among those involved in the group trade. I've never looked at that forum in the same way that I look at the FT/ISO forum. The IT Forward forum has been more of a fun place to trade with a lot of people instead of the serious business that takes place in the FT/ISO, and I think that's how those involved like it to be.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

Todd I don't know what you expected with this poll, as anyone could tell you it is going to be a landslide victory for "Yes".
  5. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Virginia Aug 18, 2011

I've always enjoyed people responding with a subtle "like" to a post. it's a nice way to show you support what someone is saying or that you just "like" what they had to say. It's a great way to be interactive
  6. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

Yeah, the IT Forward forum is all about generosity, so likes seem pretty valuable there. Some people were breaking the rules, but it's not clear to me that eliminating likes has really changed that very much. I voted for bringing them back, and think that's the best course.
  7. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 7, 2011

Agreed, there was a post up briefly last night that pointed directly to this. The IT Forward forum is all about generosity, have you seen the YMBBIF, there are some crazy boxes being sent there. Those hauls definitely deserve the likes.
  8. MikeTen

MikeTen Initiate (0) California Apr 3, 2009

I always liked seeing the memes and stuff in the BIF forum; it reminded me how much fun people have with trading and how generous they can be. It also seems like a lot of people there are good friends despite never having met each other in real life. The ISO/FT forum is bleak and depressing by comparison.

I realize you guys are against 'memes,' but short of insulting ones, I hope you'll reconsider your stance (or at least permit it again in BIF). They are part of internet culture and don't detract from the site. There's nothing more I enjoy than getting a good buzz on and giving an internet toast / getting laughs from my internet friends. BIF was consistently the friendliest place on the site, and I've never done a BIF.
  9. If you felt that removing likes from the IT Forward forum was a good idea, it's pretty obvious you have no idea how that forum works.
  10. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

It seems the idea that likes should be added back is spreading in the minds of forum users. Therefore it is now, by definition, an internet meme.
    Kuemmelbrau, quirkzoo, uwotm8 and 6 others like this.
  11. Agree with nearly everything above and hope this is reconsidered. No need for a few unruly kids to ruin things for the rest of the class.
    match1112, mcaulifww and ehammond1 like this.
  12. I think the displeasure stems from not understanding where you're coming from. I understand that likes weren't always being used as intended, but what was the harm? A lot of very generous BA's who hosted LIF's, destroyed porches with BIF boxes, etc. etc. lost likes as collateral.
  13. In my overblown opinion the discussions of beer should be fun and lighthearted. The world is serious enough and it's fun to "blow-off stem" over a couple of beers with great friends.

Unfortunately a lot of the guys that have made talking about beer fun on BA have left in recent months mostly due to the crackdowns that have occurred (talking away profile posts, disabling likes, deleting posts without comments, over enforcement of the rules, etc).

Honestly, I was pretty disappointed when likes in the It Forward section, most lighthearted section of BA, were disabled without a comment. One hour you could like something the next you couldn't. There is no other section that is a better representation of the generosity and sense of community than the It Forward section and the like button is a chief part of that.
  14. ^ Also this
    match1112 likes this.
  15. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

not sure how someone can abuse the like system. it is a link, you click it and your name appears in the like list...you can unlike if you changed your mind. the only way i can think of abuse is liking/unliking at a frantic pace...otherwise, ????

i voted no for the simple reason that i participate in this forum and although it is nice to be liked...it clogs up the alerts. i'd be into likes if there was a way to turn off the alerts for them.
  16. cosmicevan

not sure if intentional, but i appreciate the irony of breaking the rules in a discussion about the rules :eek:
  17. I feel like such a noob but what is the IT Forward Forum?
  18. mcaulifww

you can change this in your alert preferances
    cosmicevan, jedwards, uwotm8 and 2 others like this.
  19. mcaulifww

no worries pal. The it forward forum was a sub-forum of the trading forum where broskis got together, gave beer away, traded mystery boxes, had a general great time foolin around with each other. I've made some great friends there
    uwotm8, match1112, ufmj and 2 others like this.
  20. Hover over your user name at the top of the page and select Alert Preferences. Uncheck the box where it says "Receive an alert when someone... Likes your message."

Are you one of those 2012's I've been reading about?? ;)
  21. mcaulifww

AWWW No he Didn't!!!!
  22. ant880

ant880 Advocate (635) New York Nov 7, 2010

As others have said, the IT Forward section of the site is probably the most laid back, feel good area and being able to toss around some "likes" just seems natural. People are giving stuff away, others are trying to outdo the generosity of those that came before them by nailing BIF targets with 30lb boxes of goodness, there is good-natured trash talk in the sports-based BIF/LIFs...basically, this is the area that "likes" should be allowed above all others. I totally get the blocking of memes, jpegs, etc (I certainly have posted my fair share over the last few years), but after a certain point, it gets a little boring "liking" the same mundane posts about who enjoys Heady Topper or Pliney.

Plus, the loss of about 250 "likes" has left me feeling very unliked today :(
    Kuemmelbrau, adamdd, libbey and 8 others like this.
  23. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

Sorry to hear that friend. Here ya go...
  24. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

[​IMG]
    Rohkey, kemoarps, cosmicevan and 6 others like this.
  25. dvelcich

dvelcich Savant (330) Illinois Feb 6, 2008

I too would really appreciate knowing what the harms of "Likes," memes, and videos are. I understand you and a lot of users here are very computer savvy, but a lot of us aren't. Do they slow the site? Are they rough on the servers? Maybe if you explained, people would be more willing to follow the rules.
  26. Agold

Agold Advocate (510) Pennsylvania Mar 13, 2010

I voted for "yes; rules apply", but only because "yes; rules are for fools" wasn't an option.

Seriously though.I don't understand why likes were taken away in either place, especially in the IF forums where the culture has always been more laid back than everywhere else.
    WillCarrera likes this.
  27. I seriously don't understand the policing of the IT forward forum. The spirit and content of that forum is BA at its finest. The rule is that "nonsense posts" aren't allowed, yet we have this little gem on the "latest" feed in the homepage:

.........?

I'm really not trying to be a jerk, so please excuse me. I'm simply trying to say that the beer talk forum is chock full of nonsense and garbage, tons of which are "liked." It just seems that there are a lot of areas that could use moderating effort other than the IT forward forum.

Another thing, look at the traffic in the IT forward forum, tons of the threads are 7,000-8,000+ views. That section generates tons of traffic, page views, etc. Plus it seems a lot of really great BAs make it a home base of sorts. It would seem to me that over policing that forum is counterproductive in a lot of respects.

tl:dr - I voted yes. IT forward is great
  28. cosmicevan

i just don't like the alerts from the IT Forward forum though ;)

got all of 4 months on me and you are gonna play me dirty like that?

i'd like this, but you'd never know.

also, it talks about commenting on your profile...how do i do that? that sounds like it could be fun?
    yamar68 likes this.
  29. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

No disucussion here but appreciate you asking for our opinion. Lets hope everyone can follow the rules, myself included.
    Kuemmelbrau likes this.
  30. I might be in the minority, but I think you should remove comments from ISO:FT again. 99% of responses are trash or should be in a BM anyway. Then no need to discuss likes too.

Cheers!
  31. cavedave

cavedave Champion (930) New York Mar 12, 2009

I think the idea of a like button on BA is one of the ideas that really improved things here. Limiting it in any way cannot, IMHO, help solve any other problem.
  32. This poll is not in reference to the ISO:FT forum. IT Forward only.
  33. shuajw

shuajw Savant (485) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

Agreed, anything that can make this place feel like more of a community should be embraced, not thwarted.
    dvelcich and Beerontwowheels like this.
  34. mattafett

mattafett Savant (465) Iowa Mar 9, 2009

I don't understand the fun-hating. This isn't North Korea. If people are using these forums differently than originally intended, make them subscription only. Create a simple process, and make users who want to trade meet the rules. Then they are in, and let the mods keep things civil. This way the free-for-all fun is not seen by other users who may be offended or whatever. Another forum I belong to uses this method, and it works well.

Keep the likes, no lame rules.
    beerme411 and Kuemmelbrau like this.
  35. aasher

aasher Champion (900) Indiana Jan 27, 2010

I'm definitely for likes and I'm especially for people NOT liking haul photos that dont' live up to the BIF.

People need to get called out more often but apparently doing so in a passive agressive manner tends to be the trend around here ;)
    DaveHack likes this.
  36. I voted Yes because as a host of many a BIF, I view the Like button as a good ol fashioned pat on the back. A way of getting the "attaboy" with out someone having to type it out.
    YaKnowBrady and match1112 like this.
  37. Todd

Todd Founder (1,410) Colorado Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

Thanks to everyone who voted and provided their feedback.

We'll be re-enabling Likes in the IT Forward forum shortly. All we ask is that you post using the same rules that apply to the rest of the site; example: no memes, non-beer images/videos, etc.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.