1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ithaca Beer Co problems

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Bentster, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Bentster

Bentster Zealot (75) New York Sep 18, 2012

Does anyone have knowledge about Ithaca's production problems of their Flower Power beer. I was told they would be filling kegs and bottling last week. The beer store told me that Ithaca is having problems. They have not been answering their phones for the past week as well. Can anyone fill in the blanks here? Thanks

2. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

3. Bentster

Thanks Mark for the good news! When i reached a sale person at the brewery a couple of weeks ago, they told me that I could not stop by the brewery and pick up beer directly when it was ready. I had to wait until they ship to my area if my area was scheduled to receive the beer. In other words..we are sending our beer down state and out of state and then eventually we'll get some beer out towards Buffalo. Don't come here (where the beer is)...you'll have to wait until it finally makes its down the priority list.
    At least the product is finished and someone will be enjoying it soon.

4. bosshop

bosshop Aficionado (130) New York Sep 13, 2012

5. yarp. just drank a glass of it the other day kegged 9/20 outside of philly

6. Just picked up a 6 pack of Flower Power that was bottled on 9/26. Thanks david23!

SteelersX likes this.
  7. darknova306

darknova306 Initiate (0) New York Jan 13, 2005

The bottle I bought yesterday in downtown Ithaca was packaged this week. Super fresh Flower Power... I think that was the best IPA experience I've ever had. Just... wow.

8. Bentster

Picked up some Flower Power (date bottled 9/26) on the 28th. It was going fast. Faster than usual. I drove 2 hours round trip to acquire this beer from south Rochester. Buffalo area still has not received any yet (Oct 1st)
    ...perhaps they will be on a list for a batch in the next week.
    Excellent beer. So refreshingly fresh.
    I think all IPA producers should take a month off of production yearly and sell off the existing inventory in stock.
    This beer is worth enjoying as fresh as possible as are the other west coast IPA s.
    Thanks for the update.

9. Premier was ordering it this morning from their distributor so I'd guess later this week.

libbey likes this.
  10. Horbar

Horbar Advocate (555) Rhode Island Feb 24, 2012

Can't wait for it to come back to Mass/RI. We haven't had any fresh bottles since before June.:(

11. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Just got ours onto shelf today. Man it's good to have my favorite regular back. And it is freakin delicious. I can't wait to see how it's gonna be once they get the new system dialed in!

merc7186 likes this.
  12. Bige413

Bige413 Aspirant (40) Sep 25, 2012

Any spottings in Mass? Boston area? its been too long since ive seen flower power on shelves!

13. Any FP sightings in Bergen Co., NJ yet?

ETA: I'm on the Rockland Border, too, so that's a possibility.

14. cpjtr9559

cpjtr9559 Initiate (0) New York Nov 30, 2007

upstate ny?

15. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (185) New York Dec 25, 2008

Where does the bottled-on date appear on Flower Power bottles? The ones in my fridge only have a best before chart on the edge of the labels with a notch on the January mark.

16. Its in Buffalo, well was at Orchard Park Consumer's a couple cases worth at the least.

libbey likes this.
  17. Fresh FP at Gary's in Wayne (dtd 9/27/12) Not all that bad a ride from Bergen Co.

18. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Savant (285) New York May 15, 2011

I just picked up 12 today. I love this beer.

Make a RIS already, damn you.

19. The bottled on date is stamped on the top of the cases - Ithaca claims that their "Best before" label notch is based on a 3 month shelf life but that is obviously going to be imprecise.

[​IMG]

Lower right hand corner (altho' if it's missing, check the opposite corner)​
    Example from the box I keep my workboots in out in the garage ;)

brystmar likes this.
  20. Good to know- thanks!

21. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (185) New York Dec 25, 2008

Thank you. I bought mine in a six pack and the case it came out of was nowhere to be seen. I guess my bottles with a best before January notch must be from that late September batch.

22. I just tapped my keg dated September 26th. Can it get any fresher?

23. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (600) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

Classic case of misinformation from store clerk/bartender. "We didn't get any like we thought we should have, so I'll make some wild assumption about the brewery so this customer will stop bothering me."

24. jamvt

jamvt Savant (490) Massachusetts Aug 5, 2005

Redstone Liquors in Stoneham recieved Flower Power bottled on 10/3 last Friday 10/5. They were limiting purchases to 1 6pk/person.

25. For the Rockland County folks- Cable Beverages definitely has Flower Power.

26. patmcd

patmcd Aficionado (220) New York Jul 5, 2008

I got a case at Hoboken Vine last Friday with the the 9/27 bottle date as well.

27. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (420) New York Jan 30, 2011

We just got a shipment that was bottled 2 days before
    Awesome
    I'm buying a 1/4 barrel!!

TheBigEast likes this.
  28. nh2032

nh2032 Advocate (555) New York Oct 15, 2009

Did anyone go to the opening of the new place today?

29. I think I talked the wife into making the drive on saturday. I promised her "pretty leaves".

libbey, akukucka and DaveHack like this.
  30. Please let us know how it is. I'll be stopping by on 10/21.

31. We ended up going this afternoon for about an hour. It's a really nice building, about 4x the size of the old location and much more conducive to drinking. 2 long standing tables and a shuffleboard table in the tasting area, a bar that seats 20ish, and a bunch of tables in what I assume will later be the restaurant. There's an open window to the kitchen (looks like a pizza oven in there). The place was packed the entire time I was there and they were a bit understaffed. (3 behind the bar, 1 busing tables, 1 selling merch, but 50-100 people there). Outside areas are gorgeous. They have lots of tables on the patio, hop trellis, garden, bocce court, adirondack chairs, etc. The taproom also has huge windows to the brewery floor.

They had 12 beer on tap and both sodas. Everything is available as a full pint or a half pint. It looked like there was room for 3 or 4 more on the tap wall. Prices were reasonable and there were 3 flights available (no substitutions on flights). The cheese plate was pretty weak looking (one piece of cheese, some bread, and a tomato jam), but they're definitely set up to serve real food from that kitchen. For those that were at the LeBleu release - everyone's favorite cash register is still temporarily in use at the bar.

The new place is huge step up from the old and I can't wait to see how things go once they're running smoothly. If I lived closer I could see myself stopping to drink here regularly. I had planned to take a bunch of pictures, but I was more interested in drinking.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

libbey, ClockworkOrange and nh2032 like this.
  32. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

ARE THEY STILL BREWING THIRTEEN?? God, I hope so . . . I'd like them to brew that annually.

33. I thought it was odd that they had it on tap. No idea if they were held back kegs or freshly brewed.

Forgot to mention - there was a wine fridge behind the bar (not turned on yet)... I'm curious to see what ends up in there.

libbey and fmccormi like this.
  34. fmccormi

Nice! That's good news to me because my dad has celiac disease and I wish we could do more brewery visits, that kind of thing. But nope. Did you try the Thirteen? It's hoppy as shit so you should have a decent sense of freshness when you taste it.

RochesterAaron likes this.
  35. I did the seasonal flight because Outdoor Ale was the only beer of the 12 I haven't had before. I was about to order a full glass of Thirteen (I love it), but my wife wanted to get home.

libbey and fmccormi like this.
  36. fmccormi

Bahaha and it does get exponentially more difficult to get home after full glasses of beers like Thirteen.

37. bosshop

bosshop Aficionado (130) New York Sep 13, 2012

Nice update, thanks. I've been dying to get down there but forces beyond my control have prevented me from doing as such yet. That line up of beers may be the trump card I need (I see some hooky in my future) .

38. rab53

rab53 Advocate (615) Washington May 1, 2005

And sold out in 2 hours.

39. Kiwi

Kiwi Aficionado (205) New York Mar 15, 2004

Was there around 4:30 in the afternoon on Saturday. Only about room for 8-10 more cars in the parking lot-all indoor tables were taken-waited 10 minutes for a beer. Face it- the place is too damn small already. Congestion behind the bar at the taps -staff bs-ing with customers and ignoring those waiting to be served-not ready for prime time IMO.

40. I was there at the same time and would agree with all of this. Very understaffed, but I think it was pretty clear that this was not a full opening. The kitchen isn't open yet, the POS system isn't fully in place, and they are still hiring. I would hope they increase staff and adjust. Also keep in mind that this was reopening weekend (sure to attract crowds) and that it is prime time for visiting the finger lakes region. I saw many people from out of state stopping in.

libbey likes this.