1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Ithaca Beer Co problems

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by Bentster, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Kiwi

Kiwi Aficionado (205) New York Mar 15, 2004

Indoor public area is small, I expect they will eventually expand down along the garden side of the building or three season enclose the existing outdoor seating. Founders and Victory have reconfigured and expanded their public areas after opening for a while with a larger pub environment popular at both. I see this place becoming a real crowd magnet year round.

2. shueyy

shueyy Aficionado (170) New York Nov 28, 2010

This might not be the best thread to put this out there but since it's about Ithaca Beer and most people seem to be in the know about Ithaca I'll throw it out there. I've been told recently by a few people that Ithaca Beer was being bought out by Budweiser in the near future. I've been told that Budweiser was a major contributor to their recent expansion ala Goose Island before Bud bought out the controlling interest there. Has anyone else heard about this? I hope it not true but the almighty dollar is powerful.

3. lovindahops

lovindahops Advocate (645) New York Mar 26, 2010

nope. No way. That is not Dan's style. He is in it for the long run.

fmccormi likes this.
  4. vonnegut21

vonnegut21 Advocate (545) New York Apr 27, 2012

It was at Brew Crew last week. Not sure if they have any left...

5. bosshop

bosshop Aficionado (220) New York Sep 13, 2012

Well, if you heard it on the internets it has to be true.

Absolutely false. I am not employed there, but I know peeps that are and the information you got is entirely bogus.

Very excited for Dan and everyone at IBC. While there are obviously some bugs to work out, i have a feeling we are going to see them do some things at this new facility will put them into the same lexicon as Ommegang and Southern Tier as a "must" visit location for beer fans.

6. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Savant (425) Connecticut Jul 16, 2005

That info is out on the street and it has more legs than I initially thought. Not sure it is true but...

Terrapin sold out the max they could to tenth and blake. It is entirely possible the some arm of AB bought the max they could of Ithaca. Just find out who financed their expansion and you have your answer...

7. Looking at Ithaca's distributors list and comparing it to AB Wholesalers just in the states I'm most familar with (NJ, PA, NY) it does seem that in a lot of areas Ithaca beers are distributed by the independently owned AB houses.

That does not mean there is any connection or financial interest between AB and Ithaca but it often does confuse people with little or no knowledge of the Three Tier beer distribution system - especially when they see Ithaca beers being unloaded from trucks emblazoned with Budweiser logos, the "Bud guy" selling Flower Power to a bar owner or tractor trailers from AB houses at Ithaca loading docks, etc.

As a publicly-owned company, ABInBev's corporate dealings would be difficult to keep secret. On the contrary, the previous deals AB made with craft brewers (CBA, GI, Coastal, Star Hill) have been accompanied by press releases, as was M-C's Tenth and Blake deal with Terrapin.

8. shueyy

shueyy Aficionado (170) New York Nov 28, 2010

Well I hope what you say is true but my friend works for AB so its not just an Internet rumor or I wouldn't have said anything. None the less I'm enjoying Flower Power right now and hope they contuine producing great beers. I don't mean to start rumors just wanted to know if anybody else heard anything that's all. Cheers

9. Hope to be in Ithaca by 1:00 this Sunday afternoon to start my week-long Finder Lakes vacation with a pint of Flower Power (never had it). Anxious to see the new place (better watch my speed on 81 North).