1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

It's Ash Wednesday which means it's Dopplebock season.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by fx20736, Feb 14, 2013.

1. fx20736

fx20736 Member

Originally Dopplebocks were drunk by German monks during Lent, so in their honor I am drinking an Ayinger Celebrator and o, my is it tasty. Tomorrow is Weihenstephan Korbinian.

Who else likes Dopplebocks?
  2. BeastLU

BeastLU Member

Dark Horse coffee dopplebock is great for the current season.

But yeah in general these beers are my most preferred lagers.
    TwelveOunces likes this.
  3. Sneers

Sneers Member

I love doppelbock. I haven't had one in a while, but 'tis the season.
    SnowFlowMfg and yemenmocha like this.
  4. biercycle

biercycle Member

Dopplebocks were some of my early craft beer favorites. Ayinger Celebrator, Spaten Optimator, and EKU 28 are all some of my favorite "comfort" beers. Making me want one now!
    darky and yemenmocha like this.
  5. jmgrub

jmgrub Member

The same for me. Doppelbocks have a soft spot in my beerheart because they were the first style I latched on to when I was getting in to craft. I still revisit old favorites like Celebrator, Korbinian, and Asam Bock all the time. Some of the better American versions I've had are Thomas Hooker's Liberator and Victory's St. Victorious.

Thanks to this thread, I'll be purchasing a few doppelbocks on my next trip to the store.
    CurtFromHershey likes this.
  6. Chickenhawk9932

Chickenhawk9932 Member

I have to try the Korbinian, My favorite is S'muttonator.
  7. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Member

Like several others in this thread, doppelbocks were the first style of beer I truly enjoyed (namely troegenator). I'm taking a few days off from beer after overdoing it a bit the last few days, but I'll certainly break a couple bocks out before lent is over. Don't sleep on maibocks either come spring!

Quality thread.
  8. keithmurray

keithmurray Member

Korbinian
    Optimator
    Celebrator
    Ettaler Curator
    Troegs Trogenator is a respectable American Version
  9. Ri0

Ri0 Member

Capital Brewery in Madison,WI makes many fantastic Doppelbocks.
  10. Droogins

Droogins Member

Celebrator is freaking divine.
    CurtFromHershey and yemenmocha like this.
  11. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Member

Love German Doppelbocks.

Top Shelf for me are Celebrator and Korbinian.
    Will happily drink an Optimator or Salvator though.

Don't care for the vast, vast majority of American attempts.
    TongoRad likes this.
  12. benbking

benbking Member

13. wesbray

wesbray Member

I love Celebrator. Can't think of many other dopplebocks i've tried (or that I could even get here).
  14. TwelveOunces

TwelveOunces Member

underrated style
    Providence and BedetheVenerable like this.
  15. dgugliuzza

dgugliuzza Member

Such a wonderful and classic beer style. This thread reminded me that the season is upon us and I couldn't be more excited. Hoppin' Frog just released a dopplebock that sounds intriguing.
  16. acevenom

acevenom Member

I'll definitely have a few doppelbocks this Lent. This is still one of my favorite styles.
  17. TongoRad

TongoRad Member

I'm sure there are some really good American ones out there, but honestly none come to mind. And my guess is that the best ones couldn't compete dollar-for-dollar with something like Optimator.

The four you mention are top quality, pretty available, and really well priced. Beyond them, though, are a few others I like to get from time to time, just to mix things up:

Doppel Hirsch- not a great value, but still up there in quality. Tremendous nose, too.

Augustiner Maximator- more of a bock-plus. Pretty elegant for a doppelbock, it doesn't bowl you over but really shines if you are having 2 or 3 at once.

Schloss Eggenberg- as pricey as Celebrator, and definitely not in its league, but take that out of the equation and it represents a nice balance point between power and finesse.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  18. darky

darky Member

Celebrator and Optimator ftw. I haven't had Optimator in nearly a year, time to fix that...
    yemenmocha likes this.
  19. litheum94

litheum94 Member

I just got a bottle of Grand Teton Double Vision Dopplebock. I'll definitely have to throw it in the fridge since it's apparently the season for it.
    BedetheVenerable likes this.
  20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Member

Gotta go with the og, salvator. On another note as a Knight of Columbus I whole heartedly wish I could fast this lent and sustain myself on doppelbock until easter... ;)
    mecummins likes this.
  21. jwheeler87

jwheeler87 Member

Liquid Bread! I will have to grab some celebrator. That is such a great beer.
    yemenmocha likes this.
  22. fx20736

fx20736 Member

had a korbinian last night. It was great.
  23. Bung

Bung Member

American versions, Bells Concecrator is descent. The Capital stuff is good as well.
  24. smakawhat

smakawhat Member

I enjoy them on odd occassion, never heard of the Lent business.. had a Smuttonator last night which quite nice..

So it's officialy doppelbock season or rabbit season? or is that duck season?

Good time of the year to be enjoying one without question.
  25. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Member

As mentioned above, I would put Capital Dark Dopplebock right there with the German's. Tastes alot like Optimator but a bit better to me.

Love Autmnal Fire as well, but i do not think of it as a classic dopplebock.
  26. Providence

Providence Member

Korbinian, Celebrator, S'muttanator are all kick ass. Haven't seen S'muttanator in a bit though.......