1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Jackie O's Release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by crxy49, Feb 12, 2013.

1. crxy49

crxy49 Disciple (70) West Virginia Nov 30, 2010

2. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

HELLS YA!!! IM THERE!!!
    gpawned likes this.
  3. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

I'll be there! I've already put out a call to O'Betty's about a bottle share for Friday, March 1st @ 9pm. Let me know if you're interested so I can give them an idea of how many people to expect.
  4. Keffa

Keffa Savant (475) Ohio Jan 8, 2009

I'm going to try my damnedest to make this one.
  5. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (360) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

Doesn't sound too exciting yet.. I might skip out on this one
  6. mellowmark

mellowmark Savant (465) Minnesota Mar 31, 2010

Oil of Aphrodite. :drool:
    leschkie and gpawned like this.
  7. gpawned

The exciting part is the experience. Don't be a stick in the mud, join us for the bottle share and drink a bunch of great beer on tap!
  8. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

Been a while since we had some Nanos available.... just sayin :)

Really looking forward to the Berliner. I have been waiting for this one to be bottled!!

Lets hope for no snow for the 7 hour trek.
  9. gpawned

I've lived here in Athens since July and haven't even caught whiff of a Nano. I second that motion.
  10. Corbet

Corbet Savant (330) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I was a bit bummed to have missed out on the anniversary party, hopefully we can make a day of this release.
  11. Bogforce

Bogforce Savant (360) Ohio Sep 2, 2010

Last time I did that I forgot half the night... So maybe I should come back mainly for the tasting.
    gpawned likes this.
  12. radio2525

radio2525 Savant (255) Ohio Feb 14, 2012

would love to go down but trying to save money hopefully next time
  13. clintonpuckett

clintonpuckett Initiate (0) Indiana Apr 29, 2008

I'm looking to set up some in person trades at Jackie O's on 3/2. I'd like to try to keep it close to $4$. BM if you have any interest. Cheers!
    Clinton

FT
    2012 Staff Only Kopi Luwak Bourbon BA Dark Apparition (multiples)
    2012 BA 4 Calling Birds (multiples)
    2012 BA Smoking Wood
    2012 Fruet (multiples)
    2012 White Chocolate (multiples)
    ISO
    2012 Oaky Golden Pucker
    2011 Brown Recluse
    2013 Berliner Weiss
    2011 Kentucky Monk (Batch 1)
    2011 Cellar Cuvee 6
    20XX Funky South Paw
  14. Keffa

Had an Oaky Golden Pucker today courtesy of InebriatedJoker. Fantastic beer.
  15. gpawned

Really a spectacular beer.
    miketd and MarcatGSB like this.
  16. Keffa

One of his best, most certainly. I think only Dynamo Hum was better, fresh or otherwise.
    leschkie likes this.
  17. I am literally drinkin bourbon barrel kopi luwak dark app.

Get yourasses to the release and hit me up for hill farmstead
    tat2dhllblly and gpawned like this.
  18. gpawned

I was constantly reminded of Dynamo while drinking OGP. But I'd take OGP over Dynamo...barely (and would make that trade if anyone wanted to).
  19. Keffa

I didn't get that same reminder. Honestly, OGP reminded me of the 6th Anniversary Blend, but with about 25% of the sourness. I want to see Dynamo again, it's soooo damned good.
  20. NABS

NABS Aficionado (185) Ohio May 11, 2011

I gotta check that I can get free from work, but I'm planning on making this. That December Anniversary party made me a Jackie O's disciple for life. And always up for another epic tasting.
    tat2dhllblly and gpawned like this.
  21. gpawned

I heard we should be seeing more Dynamo this year.
    tat2dhllblly likes this.
  22. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Oaky Golden Pucker was fantastic.
    Lansman and gpawned like this.
  23. pest

pest Savant (375) Ohio Sep 2, 2007

Staff members certainly will. I forget the specifics but it was called double dynamo hum iirc.
    gpawned likes this.
  24. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aficionado (235) Ohio Oct 20, 2007

Oh yeah. Pumped for Double Dynamo! I need to find the email about that so I can remember the specifics.
  25. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Even though I love Oil, I'm skipping this one.
  26. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (640) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

I have some personal reasons why I probably can't go, but I'd be wary anyways concerning the announcement of why they're doing the sale in the first place. It sounds like the typical release plethora of tap options will be greatly diminished this time around. I'm sure the bottle share and event will be great regardless, but if your main reason is to try 40 JO's beers, I'd be hesitant until a taplist is announced.

Cool to see Berliner in a bottle though, when that beer is on it's one of Brad's best imo.
  27. That Cuvée sounds fantastic! If anyone doesn't want one and is going let me know and I can work something out.
  28. stfun37

stfun37 Aficionado (175) Indiana Jan 16, 2008

I hope you are joking. Athens has a Pizza Hut and everything, dude!
    gpawned likes this.
  29. Athens has two Pizza Huts - hard to beat. Go to this release and grab a CC7 for me.
    Hoping to track down one or two CC7 afterwards from all you lucky folks that make it.
  30. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Wish I had the money for this one, but looks like it just isn't in the cards. Hope they get the money they need, I'm excited about the cans!
  31. miketd

miketd Savant (485) Ohio Mar 2, 2006

Haha! No, just can't justify the expenditure at this juncture. Get your sorry ass to Cleveland.
  32. pest

pest Savant (375) Ohio Sep 2, 2007

JO's is always a good time, I should be able to make it. B-rad if you need some funds get some of those staff beers bottled ;)
    gpawned likes this.
  33. vrbulldog22

vrbulldog22 Savant (405) Ohio Sep 5, 2010

Gonna miss this one due to work... but might be able to come down saturday night & enjoy tap leftovers!
  34. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Additional news (good and bad, from http://www.ohio.com/blogs/the-beer-...o-s-starts-production-in-new-brewery-1.374452):

The taproom at the new brewery is expected to have a soft opening in March with four beers on draft. An official grand opening will likely be sometime in April with an additional four beers available.

Some other positive news — again, push that bad news further down — is that Jackie O’s will have another bottle release event on March 2. There will be three beers available: Oil of Aphrodite, Berliner Weisse and a new Cellar Cuvee. Why only three? Read on.

And now for the crappy news. The boiler at the brewpub failed and there’s been no new beer made there in six weeks. The number of beers on draft is slowly dwindling and now stands at eight. That’s mighty painful for a brewpub that prides itself on turning out one unusual, tasty beer after another.

“For seven months or so, we were holding at 20 different beers on draft and we were hitting this great stride,” Clark said. “We got blind-sided and our boiler took a turn for the worse. Now everything is falling off.”
    He hopes to fire up a new boiler in three weeks or so. The brewing system has been shut down for lengthy periods before in 2007 and 2011 because of mechanical issues.

Clark is warning folks who show up for the bottle release event that the Jackie O’s-made draft selection won’t be as substantial as in the past. For awhile at least, Jackie O’s will resemble a regular brewpub — picture an amber, India pale ale, etc. — with the new production brewery providing the beer.

“Once we get all the engines going, it should be pretty awesome,” Clark said about the brewpub and the production brewery. “It’s all going to work out but we need to be patient.”
  35. AlexFields

AlexFields Savant (465) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

Hopefully there are at least some cool kegs from the cellar that can be tapped for the release. :(
  36. gpawned

Maybe I'm an optimist, but I don't think Brad will disappoint.
    crxy49 and tat2dhllblly like this.
  37. Keffa

38. gpawned

Not as much on tap Friday night...all the more reason to join the bottle share at O'Betty's! Glad to hear that things are starting to move along.

The bottles down in the cellar are pretty damn exciting! Anyone who comes is in for a treat.
  39. Keffa

I'm there regardless. I'ma put some money back for the May/June one. Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. Chunga and Dynamo= happy me and happy wife.

Brad, this is a good one, the post on the website mentioned Evelyn, which I remember as a STAFF beer, is it still only a STAFF beer, or is it a new release for everyone this time around?
    Photekut likes this.
  40. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (640) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

If Evelyn is actually hitting a public tap I might try to rearrange some stuff to get some.

Edit: Derp, I guess that's slated for the next release.
    gpawned likes this.