1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Jackie O's Release

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by crxy49, Feb 12, 2013.

1. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (395) California Nov 7, 2011

ISO !! All three :)

2. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Maybe I'll open my bottle of Evelyn if you come.

3. If anyone happens to go to the release... and happens to pick up a bottle of a saison/wild style beer... please keep me in mind for a future trade.

gpawned likes this.
  4. Spider889

Spider889 Advocate (650) Ohio Mar 24, 2010

I'm trying to work it out but I wouldn't count on it. There might be a family birthday dinner going on that weekend that could prevent a trip down. On the plus side I'm skipping the third trip to Cleveland in two weeks this Saturday, so there's that.

5. lftwng4

lftwng4 Aficionado (230) Ohio Oct 12, 2007

My wife and I are thinking of coming down for this event. I'd really like to see some live music in Athens one of those nights. Of course I'm aware of The Union, looks like Casa Nueva and Smiling Skull might have some bands too. Anyone know the skinny on music venues and lineups that weekend?

6. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

bumping this with new info from the blog...

Things are starting to shape up nicely for the upcoming release. After tasting some barrels this past weekend, Kentucky Monk is ready to be bottled after a year of aging. So, Kentucky monk will join CC7, Berliner Weisse, and Oil as bottled offerings at our 3/2 release. We will also be doing a very soft opening of the Tasting room at our new production facility on both Friday 4 - 10pm, and Saturday 4- 10 pm. Please stop on by check out the new digs and enjoy a Firefly and maybe a Razz Wheat if it is ready.

MarkIntihar, gpawned and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  7. gpawned

I stopped in last night and tried CC7 and it is fantastic. Lots of the Dark Robustic 1 comes through.

8. normyk

normyk Savant (260) Ohio Dec 10, 2007

Kentucky Monk? Oh, yeah. Saturday somehow improves. This week will take SO long to get through.

MarkIntihar and gpawned like this.
  9. howopeeps

howopeeps Aficionado (175) Ohio Mar 7, 2011

Damn family party. If anyone wants to do a trade interested in one of each. Got fresh heady and a lot of other stuff

10. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Michigan Mar 17, 2010

The Monk!!!!

AlexFields and gpawned like this.
  11. You headin that way, Mark?

12. MarkIntihar

I'll be there fro sho.

bobertkuekn, eyeenjoybeer and gpawned like this.
  13. Corbet

Corbet Savant (340) Michigan Nov 7, 2010

I won't be making it down this time around but I really want a couple of those small tasting snifters from the anniversary party. Anybody willing to pick up a few for me?

BM me and I'll make it worth your while.

gpawned likes this.
  14. gpawned

BM sent.

15. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

I work on this day and have to drive three hours so the soonest that I can get there will be 8- ten p.m. Does any one have an educated guess as to whether or not there is any point in going at all If my only goal is to acquire bottles? Will there be any left at that point? I have never been. Thanks!

16. gpawned

It is very difficult to say. Last release you would have gotten less than half the allotment and missed out of 3 beers altogether (at least). At previous releases, 10pm would have been fine. It seems that this one may be less crowded than usual and thus you may be fine, but it is certainly a gamble.

Edit...personally I would easily take that risk with an 8pm eta. 10pm is a tougher call. You are welcome to text me before you leave and I can tell you what the number situation looks like. BM me for my number.

17. crytion

crytion Savant (255) Ohio Jun 24, 2010

will do man thanks so much!

gpawned likes this.
  18. pyite

pyite Aficionado (205) Ohio Feb 25, 2013

New member here on ba. Been to jackie o's a bunch see you all for the release on Saturday

Caterwaul, tat2dhllblly and gpawned like this.
  19. gpawned

Welcome! I look forward to meeting you this weekend. Hope to see you at the bottle share on Friday night as well.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  20. jeffdill

jeffdill Aficionado (145) Ohio Apr 26, 2012

How do these usually work? Can I just drive in Saturday morning/early afternoon and get whatever, or do I need to show up on the Friday? I thought I saw something about him handing out tickets on Friday starting at 5PM, or was that something else?...

I'm in Columbus a bit over an hour away, trying to figure out my plan for the weekend. Never had Jackie O's beer!

21. gpawned

IF this release is the same as the last few, it would be safer for you to show up on Friday to get a ticket (to secure your spot in line for the sale). They will take people in number order so if you show up on Sat. and are too far back, you'll get shut out (which happened to many people at the last release). It seems like attendance will be down quite a bit from the last release but it would be reckless to bank on just showing up on Saturday and being assured of bottles.

I plan to be at JO's a couple hours before the tickets are given out just to be safe. I know I a number of people who are coming to town Friday eve to get tickets then going home (mostly those in Cbus) after getting a ticket.

Either way, you're in for a treat!

22. jeffdill

I wouldn't be able to make it there until at least 7 anyway...

How many bottles do they usually allot per person?

23. MarkIntihar

Anywhere from 1-3, typically. Subject to change day of the release.

gpawned likes this.
  24. MarkIntihar

25. clintonpuckett

clintonpuckett Initiate (0) Indiana Apr 29, 2008

Will you be making this release?

26. Lansman

Lansman Savant (400) Illinois Mar 19, 2011

Unfortunately can't swing it this weekend but let me know if you're going to KBS Day or DLD and I'll buy you a few long overdue pints!

MarkIntihar likes this.
  27. jeffdill

All right, I'm gonna get there on Friday and try to get a ticket.

What time does it start on Saturday? I don't think I've seen that anywhere

28. gpawned

Typically the sale starts around 11 but people get there early for breakfast/brunch and to get seats.

29. Looking forward to seeing everyone at the release! What are you guys bringing to the O'Betty's Friday night bottle share?

gpawned likes this.
  30. gpawned

I've got a cooler full of beer to open, just in case turn out is significantly smaller than last time.

31. crxy49

crxy49 Disciple (70) West Virginia Nov 30, 2010

I will be bringing a cooler as well(12 bottle cooler). Not sure what all i am going to bring yet.

32. gpawned

If you are coming to the bottle share, please try to remember to bring a tasting glass! They only have plastic drinking vessels at O'betty's. Here is the menu (http://www.obettys.com/west-union-street) and they have a special for happy hour prior to 8pm. Please try to spend some money there to support our local bottle share venue (and tip generously!)

bobertkuekn and crxy49 like this.
  33. I'm thinking maybe Arctic Devil, Cafe Royale, Hardywood Sidamo, no clue what else.

gpawned and crxy49 like this.
  34. AlexFields

AlexFields Advocate (540) Tennessee Dec 13, 2009

Anyone wanna bring a 6 pack of Columbus IPA to trade for something from TN?

35. MarkIntihar

Not really looking for anything from Tennessee, but I'd be more than happy to snag one for you at cost (I think I can get them for $9 by me).

gpawned and AlexFields like this.
  36. AlexFields

Mark, I'll have $10 for you!

37. MarkIntihar

Sounds good man, are you guys planning on getting in tomorrow night?

38. AlexFields

I think we'll be there tomorrow afternoon, three or four.

gpawned likes this.
  39. MarkIntihar

Cool, that's about when I'm planning to get there as well. I'll keep an eye out for you guys.

Photekut and gpawned like this.
  40. DrSilverworm

DrSilverworm Aspirant (30) Jun 3, 2012

I'm the bearded guy that was furiously taking notes on every beer that passed under his nose at the last release. I'll be getting there around 8pm on Friday, plan on bringing a couple bottles to share, not sure what yet.

gpawned likes this.