1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Jack's Abbey Question

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by MrHolland10, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Hey guys,
    Just wanted to see what the availability of Kiwi Rising is? Reading some reviews about it and it sounds just damn amazing.
    Flashy likes this.
  2. I think it came out in November sometime and was a pretty limited release. Would be surprised to see any around at this point.
  3. Yeah its all gone. Sounds like they are making another dIPL with some different hops for spring season.
  4. I think it's still around some places but why would you want it this old?
  5. Wasn't sure if it was a year round brew or a 1 time thing. I definitely do not want it old.

Thanks for the info guys.

Cheers
  6. More seasonal than 1 time. It'll be out again around Thanksgiving!
  7. Is Hoponius Union hard to come by up there? and do they have any bottle dating?

8. Hoponius ages more gracefully than your typical IPA, so it would stand to reason that Kiwi is probably still pretty drinkable after 3 months. That said, even the little hidey-holes where it sat around for a while seem to be out by now, so it would take quite a bit of searching...
  9. Easy - 4-packs at good beer stores everywhere. They month date on either the bottle or the 4-pack holder, depending on the beer.
    MrHolland10 likes this.
  10. Probably will just wait till it comes out again and just try to get some of their other brews.
    CypherEnigma likes this.
  11. Hoponius is all over the place here, any decent MA shop has plenty
  12. Pretty easy to come by and a new batch came out a few weeks ago. It is great, Kiwi was spectacular though. It was an extra in pretty much all my trades in Nov and Dec and everyone loved it.
  13. Hoponius Union is easy to find in the Boston area. Can't speak to the rest of Mass. I don't remember if the regular release bottles (Smoke & Dagger, Jabby Brau, Hoponius) are dated or not (I think they are not dated), but IIRC, 4pks are? Rotating releases are bottle dated by month only.
  14. I've seen HU around recently...They date the 4pack, but not the bottles from what I could tell...One local store had some from mid-november, but another had a small batch from end of January (although I think it sold out)
  15. It's just over 60 days since Kiwis late nov release - not that old. I had one Wednesday and loved it just as much as that 1st sip I had in December. Granted it's tough to find, i did find some this week in Boston.
  16. Already working on getting some Hoponius soon! Will definitely grab some Kiwi when it comes back out.

It seems like Jack's Abbey is getting pretty big up there? I've been hearing more and more about their beers. What's y'alls over-all opinion on what they have done so far?
  17. RichD

RichD Advocate (615) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

I haven't been able to find any Kiwi Rising and I've been searching pretty diligently on the Mass/RI border. I'd love to get my hands on a 4 pack. I've been to the brewery a few times and haven't been able to find any. And to answer your question, it's Jack's Abby. No E.
  18. Where in Boston? I havent seen it since the first week in Jan.
  19. Heads up - single bottles, not 4pks.

They're pretty much killing it, IMO. I love basically every beer I've ever had from them except the Brett Biere de Garde, which anyone else I've ever talked to liked a lot. The things they can do with lager yeast is just unbelievable. And Hoponius Union should be on tap in every bar in Massachusetts.

I know other people have differing opinions on this, but I also love the fact that they put out a new beer seemingly every couple weeks. It can make finding a particular bottle hard-ish, because their batches sell out relatively quickly, but I've probably had ~20 beers from them, and I didn't start drinking them until this past summer. And given that they're all great, I love the variety.
    Jnorton00 and MrHolland10 like this.
  20. RichD

RichD Advocate (615) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

Their regular Rye Biere de Garde was pretty damn good. And as for Kiwi Rising, I haven't even seen a single of it. Actually, I think I've seen it once at Yankee Spirits in Attleboro, but I didn't grab any because I wasn't really educated on how good Jack's Abby beers are. Huge mistake, there.

21. I don't know the name of it but its directly across the street from my office (28 State St). If your at the old courthouse ( State St T stop) its right there. Small wine/Liquor shop. They had 6-7 Kiwis after I bought my 2 on Wednesday after work.
  22. I think I know which one your talking about...kind of out of my way and certainly wont make it that way this weekend. I may or may not check it out early next week though. Thanks for the heads up.
  23. If all goes as planned, ill be back at work on Monday and I can check during my lunch break. Ill get the address and bottle count then too.
    omniscientcause likes this.
  24. They're priced right that's for sure. A single 16.9 fl oz bottle of Hoponius Union goes for around 3 bucks which compared to Maine Beer Co. for example, is a damn steal. I've yet to have a beer from them I have not liked.
    MrHolland10 likes this.
  25. Appreciate it
  26. Upper Falls liquors on Needham St in Newton still had a bunch of Kiwi Rising on the shelves about a week ago. I had a ton of them when they were fresh but couldn't pass up getting another one. Haven't had it yet so I can't speak to how it's still drinking, but my feeling is its worth a shot.
  27. I just went by there. 29 State Street - 2 bottles of Kiwi at $4.95 each.

Cheers ~~
  28. Thanks...ahh Idk thats 20 mins from my office. I dont forsee myself going over there with the sidewalks the way they are currently, thank you for the heads up though.
  29. None left as of 11:00 am today
  30. tehzachatak likes this.
  31. I'm as impressed with you trying 20 different beers from them in 6 months as I am with their beer. I thought I was doing good with 11. Do you live at the tasting room? Because I'm sure most of those beers must have been brewery only.
  32. I drank my last Kiwi a couple weeks ago with a buddy who was in town. Although I do think it has fallen off to some degree since I first had it early in December, it was still awesome. When it was fresh I honestly thought it stood up to almost any IIPL/IIPA I've had (only exceptions maybe a little behind Heady, and a decent step behind Double Galaxy.. which is no insult)
  33. Ok, looks like it's only 18... All distributed and had outside of the tasting room/festivals except Coffee Smoke and Dagger and Hoponius Ginger Union!
  34. Flashy

Flashy Advocate (525) Vermont Oct 22, 2003

LOVE what I had from Jacks Abby- and they aren't ripping anybody off with their prices. There was plenty sitting at Ryan and Caseys in Greenfield on Monday. Most excited I've been for a brewery I've had since The Alchemist and Heady Topper. Before that it's been few and far between.
  35. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kiwi Rising won't be back until the New Zealand hops are once again back in season.
  36. Makes sense to me.
  37. I finally drank the Kiwi I bought at Upper Falls last night and it was fantastic. It was a bit more malty/sweet than I recalled so I'd say the hops dropped off a bit, but it was small enough that I don't really know how much of it is real versus my perception. One way or another, it held up quite well for a few months old. It remains one of the best local hoppy beers we have.
    ICCULIS likes this.