Jack's Abby Brewery

Discussion in 'New England' started by RichD, Jan 9, 2013.

1. RichD

RichD Champion (905) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012 Verified

Basically, I'm just wondering about a few things regarding Jack's Abby. I am going up to the brewery on Friday. Does anyone know if it costs money for the brewery tour or tastings? Also, how much do growler fills go for? I'd be buying a growler and the beer that will go in it. Lastly, does the growler fill prices vary? Thanks to whoever answers this. I sent a tweet to Jack's Abby, but I'm a little impatient and would rather have my fellow BA's help me out on this one.

EDIT: Right after I posted this, they answered my question. However, if anyone would like to provide any opinions about the actual brewery, it would be welcome.

2. RichD

By the way, they have barrel aged Saxonator for 18 bucks a growler! I've never had this, but a doppelbock that's barrel aged sounds awesome!

3. Pahn

Pahn Champion (815) New York Dec 2, 2009 Verified

opinions about the brewery: excellent beers, really well rounded flavor. their hop use is particularly good.

AndyAvalanche, ABinaco, JrGtr and 3 others like this.
  4. RichD

I've only had their Hoponius Union and it is amazing. I'm really looking forward to trying some other offerings of theirs.

TWStandley likes this.
  5. The brewery is very small so it will only take a few minutes to see. Make sure to hit up Julios in Westboro while you're close by!

RichD and BlackBelt5112203 like this.
  6. BlackBelt5112203

BlackBelt5112203 Advocate (520) Michigan Jan 2, 2012 Verified

When I was at home over the holidays, that is exactly the trip that my sister and I made. Jacks Abby for a tasting and a growler and then Julio's for a couple more things. Both really awesome. All of Jacks Abby's beers are crazy good.

RichD likes this.
  7. seanwhite

seanwhite Advocate (500) Massachusetts Jan 31, 2008 Verified

They have some good swag for sale at the brewery too. Great people making great brews. It will be hard to pick a favorite for a growler fill.

RichD likes this.
  8. Great stuff from Jack's Abby. See if you can fine out when the Leisure Time Lager is coming out of the Chardonnay Barrels W/ Brett for me? I need some of that!!!

9. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (435) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

I had a Saxonator out of bottle. Good stuff. I still think Kiwi and Hoptonius are their best. Sax tasted like a Quad. Am I correct in sayong that? Anyone try? So a barrel aged could be interesting. At 9% and under $8 gotta love it

10. I am planning on making my maiden voyage as soon as the Framinghammer is released, their website says it is "upcoming" anybody seen an exact date?

11. RBCORCORAN

RBCORCORAN Savant (430) Massachusetts May 18, 2009 Verified

Great beer - Great people , worth the trip and they have some nice gear as well . I love my hoodie.

12. I mean, it's a big doppelbock. Definitely a different style than a quad, and unlike your "india pale lager", this is definitely a style that is normal for lagers. There are certainly similar flavor notes, it's definitely a "strong lager" and a quad is really just a "strong ale", and they have sort of similar mouthfeels - I don't think the comparison is silly by any means.

13. Pahn

he'brew do a dubbel / doppelbock blend beer due to the similarity, and quads are just dubbels.

14. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Massachusetts Aug 13, 2007

That's an interesting view.

15. RichD

Regardless, to me, at least, it sounds like a very intriguing brew. I've never had Jack's Abby's doppelbock but judging from my other doppelbock experiences, they're quite sweet and barrel aging it would make for an extremely sweet tasting beer. Also I don't think I've ever seen another brewery barrel age a lager. I could be wrong though.

16. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Savant (430) Massachusetts Jan 6, 2010 Verified Subscriber

Had the Saxonator on New Year's Eve, definitely sweet, definitely delicious. Might try to snag the BA version this weekend, if I can get down there.

17. Can't think of one I've seen besides stuff from JA! Had the JA Brett Biere de Garde which was BA, I was not a fan of the beer, to be honest, but I've heard amazing things about the BA Framinghammer.

18. RichD

I definitely tip my hat to Jack's Abby because they're doing something different from other breweries. Nonetheless, I'm quite excited to go to the brewery and sample all their available offerings. Should be a real treat.

JrGtr likes this.
  19. it's fun. surprisingly large, made me understand how the hell they sell their beer so cheap when i finally saw the place. also, the extremely reasonable growler pricing is fantastic.

20. MyIronLung

MyIronLung Savant (255) Massachusetts Oct 28, 2011 Verified

Great beers, great guys. Just dont plan on going for a walk around the neighborhood, its in the ghetto of Framingham.

JrGtr likes this.
  21. RichD

I'm assuming they also can sell their beer so cheap because they make lagers as opposed to ales. That's just my guess though.

Do you know what size their growlers are? Do they sell just one size or multiple sizes? I'm planning on getting at least 2 growlers, depending on the price and sizes. Also, I might even bring my camera and take some cool pictures of their brewery and tasting room.

22. As they will tell you at the brewery, lagers actually take longer to condition than ales, so they are less cost-effective.

Only one size of growler - 64oz

FrankLloydMike and RichD like this.

23. Not to mention refrigeration costs to keep fermentation/conditioning at a much lower temperature than the same for ales.

24. Doppeldubbels?

I just came across bottles of Saxonator, which I've never tried, last night and grabbed two. The fact that I got more than one without knowing what it tastes like is a fair indication of the trust I have in the brewery.

25. Pahn

in case theres any confusion, i'm not saying dubbels are doppelbocks, just they have known flavor similarities / compatibility, so.if you think one doppelbock tastes like a quad, that's not weird.

however, i am saying that quad is just a marketing name for dubbel.

26. what is generally listed as a quad is typically stronger than a dubbel though, no?

27. Pahn

no, it moreso varies from brewery to brewery. in general, if someone has a beer called a dubbel and a beer called a quad, the quad is stronger--though saint bernardus 12 is called a dubbel on the label, and they also make 2 other dubbels (6 and 8). in truth, quad is just a marketing name that koningshoeven came up with. belgians aren't as style-definition-happy as americans, british, germans.

it's sort of like how one brewery's "india pale ale" is lower ABV and less hoppy than another brewery's "american pale ale," but if some brewery puts out an APA and an IPA, chances are the IPA is hoppier (see oskar blues, maine beer co., hill farmstead, etc etc).

28. iwantmorehops

iwantmorehops Savant (420) Vermont Sep 25, 2010 Verified

Anybody who might be able to swing by and grab a growler of ba saxonator on their way to VT shoot me a bm and I'll make it worth your while.

29. Yup, gotcha. Makes perfect sense.

30. dunix

dunix Savant (495) Vermont Jan 26, 2011 Verified

Not enough Smoke and Dagger love in this thread. Love that beer.

RBCORCORAN and franklinn like this.
  31. Coffee smoke & dagger is where its at!

pjl44 and Rekrule like this.
  32. dunix

dunix Savant (495) Vermont Jan 26, 2011 Verified

Oooo, ISO coffee smoke & dagger.

33. MVP09

MVP09 Savant (435) Massachusetts Oct 19, 2012

Framinhammer is much anticipated. Baltic Porter I believe somewhere around 11%. Plus I think they do a barrel aged version. Might give smuttynose a run for their money.

34. bpk59

bpk59 Savant (260) Massachusetts Apr 27, 2011

Love going to Jack's Abby. Cool guys, great beers, and it's pretty inexpensive. Their Framinhammer was awesome, tried it last year. Enjoy!

35. geoffpm

geoffpm Aficionado (215) Massachusetts Sep 10, 2007 Subscriber

I disagree with your description of the neighborhood. Light industrial around thebrewery itself but the actual neighborhood is latin and there is a fantastic El salvadoran Pupuseria right around the corner -Pupusas Y Tacos Doña Sofia a delightful place where two people can eat well for 15 bucks . I would walk anywhere there.

36. That area is pretty ghetto, my buddy lives a few blocks away and there is always some kind of disturbance resulting in cops coming by. There was a murder next door to his house a month or two ago as well.

37. MyIronLung

MyIronLung Savant (255) Massachusetts Oct 28, 2011 Verified

Yeah, I gotta say, it's not the safest neighborhood. I should know, I grew up there.
    And yes, that taco place has some pretty killer food.

38. ljkeats

ljkeats Fest Captain (305) Massachusetts Jun 27, 2007 Verified Subscriber

Website says Sax and BA sax on tap at the brewery.

39. Agreed. Brilliant brew. I can't say it's my favorite of theirs, as that would be Hoponious- but Smoke and Dagger is just a near-flawless beer.

40. Bottles have been gone for a while, it'll take some looking.