Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Winston_Smith, Dec 26, 2012.

1. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Initiate (0) Kentucky Oct 25, 2012

Has anyone found something really nice from these folks? I was given their winter seasonal variety pack as a gift today, and have since delved into it. Had the Honey Weiss a long time ago, tried the Creamy Dark, and the Snowdrift Porter. The porter is the only thing I've sampled from them that's anything I would seek. Recommendations, or is this brewery just not for me?

2. Northlax3

Northlax3 Savant (285) New Jersey Aug 19, 2012

they're owned by miller/coors and have been for a while now. They dont make anything worth seeking, other than the big eddy series which is decent, but you can find better examples of the styles that are offered for less money (SN).

BrettMcCal23 likes this.
  3. Winston_Smith

Ha, and I'd thought it was AB-InBev. Barely worth looking up I guess. Honey Weiss tastes like straight AAL. I could almost not distinguish it from Keystone or something of the like. Wish it would've been a SN variety pack, or New Belgium, but the guy I know was from up north. Beer for Christmas? It could've been a lot worse... like the sweater I received!

4. rvajohn

rvajohn Savant (260) Virginia Nov 22, 2012

When I first ventured into the world of specialty / craft beers in '95 or '96, this was one that we'd get from time to time. I'm not sure if I've seen it sense, but brings back some memories. It was slim pickins back then in the local grocery. There was one that came with a red label I enjoyed

5. krl2112

krl2112 Advocate (595) Illinois Nov 10, 2012

So instead of people bitching and moaning about them beig bought and saying they went downhill, I will actually reply to ur I itial question. I am actually drinking a Big Eddy Baltic porter right now and it is good. I would agree that you probably only want to look into the big eddy series. But I've also had their wee heavy scotch ale and it was ok as well. And oh, it was free beer so they all taste ok when they are free!!

missingtoes and dmeadows like this.
  6. The Big Eddy series is quite good other than the fact that the name on the label makes people think it tastes much worse. However, as mentioned, they aren't quite worth the $12-14 per 4pack that they cost. Still not bad beers though.

I have a hard time distinguishing between most of their beers, while their flavored beers are usually just nasty. I toured the brewery once and found out that all of their flavored beers including sunset wheat are flavored with flavor extract after all the brewing is completed. I thought this was really evident with the vanilla porter. To me it seemed like they took creamy dark and added a shot of artificial vanilla flavor. Pretty unappealing. Then again, they are in the business of mass-marketing a bland, accessible product as something that is a high quality craft product... and they succeed at that.

7. very meh but a good cheeper bulk option for drinking in larger amounts if thats what your looking for.

8. krl2112

I agree that while the big eddy series is ok, ur right IMO that they r not worth $12-$14 per 4pk.

9. Winston_Smith

I wanted to make this a fair, mostly positive non-shitting-on thread, so I didn't say this initially. You summed up my thoughts well. Here's to wishing I had NB Abbey inside me.

10. krl2112

Hmmmm seemed like u knew the answer u were looking for before this tread.

11. Winston_Smith

Well I'm not a Leinenkugel aficionado, and thought I may have overlooked something.

12. krl2112

Got ya. Confirmation is good as well. Hope u found the answer u were looking for and have a nice holiday and enjoy the free beer bro!!

13. Winston_Smith

And to you! A SN Celebration between Lienenkugels helps me drown my sorrows. ;)

14. leezy

leezy Aficionado (195) Minnesota Sep 13, 2009

Besides the Big Eddy series, sometimes a Summer Shandy (not any of the new varieties they're putting out now) really hits the spot on a hot summers day for me.

15. If you like the taste of their beer, drink it. If not, don't drink it.

16. this.

Summer Shandy was my gateway into beer, though I moved on pretty quick.

17. Summer shandy is quite refreshing and reminiscent enough of a beer I had in Germany mixing hefeweizen and grapefruit soda. It tastes great.. why not! + my girlfriend loves it..

18. Was this instead of a lump of coal?

19. Big Eddy RIS is pretty good.

Ri0, minnesotaryan and maximum12 like this.
  20. I like their Sunset Wheat, but haven't ever sought out their other offerings.

21. Sunset Wheat is totally decent on a hot day.

22. JimKal

JimKal Savant (325) North Carolina Jul 31, 2011

You may want to work on developing a sense of gratitude. It seems like the person who gave it to you wanted to give you something he thought you would enjoy. Perhaps he isn't a BA and doesn't know the lineage of this brand. Hopefully he won't see any of these posts and feel bad about the gift. Before I got back into beer ( the return was experiencing craft for the first time) I would give a BMC product as a gift and be both perplexed and put down by the lack of gratitude for a gift. If you don't like it you can save it for BMC drinking friends.

23. frazbri

frazbri Advocate (635) Ohio Oct 29, 2003

My take on Leinenkugel.

Basic line (non-fruit): solid standard issue brews.
    The Fruits (Sunset Wheat, Summer Shandy, etc...) : flavor-added abominations
    Big Eddy line: Good stuff that makes you realize the big boys can actually brew good beer.

24. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Avoid. Better than BMC but hardly craft.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  25. incutrav

incutrav Savant (315) Minnesota Jan 16, 2007

Agreed. I see its commonly 11.99 a 4pk now though. Thought it was more like 8.99 last year. At 11.99, ill save a couple bucks and get some Narwhal.

26. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Savant (370) Wisconsin Jul 24, 2008

In Wisconsin Leinie's is king with most people who are edging away from macro brews and starting to venture into craft beer. I first started drinking their beers but quickly transitioned to New Glarus. The majority of their standard beers are pitiful examples of what the style should actually be. Berry Weiss, Sunset Wheat, and Shandy are all artificially flavored and come off that way. Honey Weiss and Red are the only two worth a damn IMO, and I wouldn't seek those out unless I was in a crunch. I've grown so accustomed to garbage beers from Leinie's I don't really even consider them.

The Big Eddy beers are solid offerings, but ridiculously priced for what you are getting. Suffice it to say you won't see any of these Big Eddy beers in the BA Top 100. $12 for a four pack is too much. New Glarus Thumbprint 4 packs are two dollars less and almost always better. Founders Breakfast Stout is even cheaper. Plus you are supporting a true craft brewer instead of having the money go to MillerCoors.

27. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Savant (470) Wisconsin Jun 6, 2007

I love the big Eddy iipa. I thought it tasted alot like 90 minute. I heard the wee heavy was decent.

The snowdrift or snowflake or whatever is ok.

28. Cornbread

Cornbread Initiate (20) Dec 28, 2012

Unfortunately Leinenkugel discontinued the 1 beer that I truly loved!!!!! Fireside Nut Brown Ale was excellent IMO. It was a winter-only offering, but I'm told by one of their staff members they're not making it this year. Haven't had a chance to try any of the Big Eddy's yet, but the Honey Weiss, Sunset Wheat, and Shandy are all a little too light and fruity for my taste.

29. BrettMcCal23

BrettMcCal23 Zealot (75) Minnesota Nov 23, 2010

The Big Eddy series from them is a line of all damn good beers. The Imperial IPA was awesome and the Russian Imperial Stout is pretty good along with their Baltic Porter

30. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

I don't really care who owns them, they stink.

Hoozierdaddy and Blueribbon666 like this.
  31. I love and will always love some Summer Shandy! It's almost nostalgic thinking of hanging by the pool with a SS.

theCoder likes this.
  32. theCoder

theCoder Savant (340) Minnesota Oct 24, 2011

I absolutely love the Big Eddy line. That Russian Imperial Stout is amazing young and ages quite well. The Scotch Ale I actually prefer fresh now that I have just had a bottle with some age on it. The Scotch Ale Fresh is sweeter and actually a bit different than most Wee Heavy's out there, but aged that sweetness fades and its just a solid smokey scotch ale (that's obviously MO). The Imperial IPA was solid but nothing mindblowing, but that Baltic Porter is tasty. I love a good porter and honestly most just let me down but that one I have enjoyed on more than one occasion.

But to each their own, for those who don't feel its worth the money, more for me (and its only $10 around here a 4-pack).

33. Everyone is going with the Big Eddy series which I like and think is good, but for easy to get year round beer check out their Berry Weiss. Great tasting refreshing summer beer.

34. Ri0

Ri0 Champion (965) Wisconsin Jul 1, 2012

This is the only Leiney's I can drink.

35. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (550) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Never been blown away by leinenkugel's incl, the Big Eddy stuff, which is better but not much. I honestly find leiney's red, amber & the creamy dark to be the ones I'd pick under duress.

36. Bitter_Echo

Bitter_Echo Savant (400) Michigan Apr 13, 2012

I went to college in central WI decades ago, and drank Point and Leinen sure, but only because it really was the only option around (Anchor just gaining steam) and was a statement against the big boys for us (when that's about the only statement you could make, short of dropping the habit entirely); and but it really was about economics for us and not really anything to do with flavor or brand loyalty (or only a bit maybe) or anything. It fit the bill, as it were, and now the bill is paid and I'm done with those. And now, I look at those two, on the shelf rather longingly...but this is a nostalgia for time and place and not the beer, that's for sure. Sad in a way, how these meso-brews were sucked up by the ever consuming tide of capitalism and not honored or improved or anything...the price point still the one and only issue with these.

37. I put the Big eddy RIS in my top 5 imperial stouts. Don't get caught up in who makes the beer, if it's good it's good.