1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Introduces A New Winter Seasonal, Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Jason, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (1,320) Massachusetts Aug 23, 1996 Staff Member

CHIPPEWA FALLS, WI (Nov 2012) – With colder months closing in quickly, Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company is introducing a new winter seasonal inspired by dark, snowy nights in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin. Snowdrift Vanilla Porter, available November through February, is brewed with seven malts and aged on real vanilla, delivering a creamy body and smooth finish.

Featuring fresh cream and vanilla aromas upon the first smell, Snowdrift Vanilla Porter reveals layers of caramel, chocolate and coffee notes. The beer, which pours clear walnut brown with ruby hues, finishes with sweet flavors of vanilla, dark fruits and cinnamon. The new seasonal’s seven malts include two- and six-row Pale Malt, Caramel 60, Carapils, Special B, Dark Chocolate and Roasted Barley, which combine with Cluster and Wilamette hops.

“With a medium body and creamy texture, Snowdrift Vanilla Porter is a unique beer that adds flavor and warmth to holiday gatherings with family and friends,” said Jake Leinenkugel, fifth generation brewer and president of the Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company. “This porter is hearty enough to warm you up with a hint of vanilla, which makes it a great complement to a wide range of seasonal meals.”

Leinenkugel’s Snowdrift Vanilla Porter pairs well with heart-warming holiday favorites such as Marshmallow Sweet Potato Casserole, Glazed Ham with Cherries, Long Roasted Meats with Mole, Bananas Foster and almost any combination of chocolate and cherry.

Snowdrift Vanilla Porter is available nationally on draft and at retail in six-packs and 12-packs. The beer’s alcohol by volume is 6 percent.

About Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Co.
    Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, based in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin since 1867, is the leading craft brewer in the upper Midwest and is distributed nationally. Year-round offerings include Leinenkugel’s Sunset Wheat, Honey Weiss, Berry Weiss, Leinie’s Red, Creamy Dark, Original, Light, and Leinenkugel’s Classic Amber Lager. In addition to the limited release of Leinenkugel’s Snowdrift Vanilla Porter, the brewer offers three seasonal beers including summer favorite Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy, Lemon Berry Shandy, and Oktoberfest. Leinenkugel’s also offers limited-release, robust beers from its Big Eddy series. For more information on the rich history of Leinenkugel’s, visit www.leinie.com or join virtual Leinie loyalists at www.facebook.com/leinenkugels.

###
    SWChi likes this.
  2. I'm looking forward to finding this beer. I grew up near Chippewa Falls and there was always a case of Leinie's when family came to visit - of course none for me when I was a kid! I have lived in Washington State since 1980 and until about a year ago, I wasn''t able to enjoy a Leinie's unless I went back home. I was delighted to find the Red Lager locally and I enjoy that much more than original Leinie's but my grocer doesn't always have it in stock. After a rough day at work today I shopped for groceries and I planned to buy Michelob light but the price had gone up about a dollar and then I noticed they had Leinie's Lemon Berry Shandy for about 50 cents more so I thought I would give it a try. Now I have another new favorite. I was quite surprised - it reminds me of wine cooler but it's definitely beer and not too sweet. Very enjoyable. Now if I can just find some of that Snowdrift Vanilla Porter. I may have to drive to Portland, Oregon to find it but it sounds delicious. Cheers!
  3. Not a fan of Leinie's but this sounds right up my alley. Worth a try
  4. JKIRBY

JKIRBY Aficionado (225) Wisconsin Apr 4, 2010

Leinie's is doing some good stuff. They're pushing their own envelope, and that's good. It is good that MillerCoors plays nice and basically keeps their hands out of Chippewa Falls. The Big Eddy Series expansion has been very good. Good to see. Looking forward to this one.
  5. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

Got my hands on a couple of these and four Stone Mint Chocolate Imperial Stouts this morning. Stoked to try them both.
  6. Scalzo

Scalzo Savant (375) Illinois Feb 27, 2012

:confused:
  7. Tried this at a store tasting, along with their other new release Berry Lemon. Using a qualifier, Snowdrift isn't bad for the money. Don't know about you guys, but once falling in love with craft, it's at times hard to find something of worth without breaking the bank. Of course there are example where price to quality isn't too bad. I'd say this so an ok low price point option.
  8. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

Already had this, and unsurprisingly found it mediocre. No vanilla to speak of. For the price though, perhaps not bad.
  9. I found a lot of vanilla; not much of what makes a porter a porter. Very little in the way of roasty malt goodness. Hops were nowhere to be found. Approachable, but anyone who's a fan of deep, complex porters will find it boring. Not a drain pour, but I won't be buying it again.
    craft_shannie, Ford and Blueribbon666 like this.
  10. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Savant (425) Michigan Jan 27, 2012

I'll agree on the lack of roast character. It's just another example of a beer being made with mass appeal more in mind than anything else. I also will not be purchasing again. I really only bought it in the first place as something on the cheap side for tailgating.
    Blueribbon666 likes this.
  11. Still, might be a good gateway beer for those looking to get into dark beers.
  12. crossovert

crossovert Champion (765) Illinois Mar 29, 2009

Saw these on the bottling line when i toured the brewery. Also all of thier beers are lagers.
  13. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (725) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Yes...exactly....a lot of vanilla but lacking in the other areas...it's ok...won't buy again though
  14. Had one last night. I thought it was not bad, not great, but decent taste. I'm a Vanilla fan, big time.
  15. MUMike

MUMike Aficionado (145) Missouri Feb 3, 2012

Agreed. I friend gave me a bottle of their Big Eddy RIS and it was very tasty. I would buy it.

On the flip side, I wouldn't buy the Vanilla Porter. It was ok, with lots of vanilla, but got boring very quickly. I do think it could be a good beer for those BMC drinkers wanting something more, though.
  16. Brenden

Brenden Champion (815) Ohio Feb 25, 2008

I JUST saw this and was scratching my head wondering if there was one I hadn't known about or they'd really rolled a new one out. With Leinenkugel, it seems evident that the focus is gateway: getting macro drinkers, more like gently edging them, into craft. The Big Eddy series really is good, and consistently so.
    BeerKangaroo likes this.
  17. JediMatt

JediMatt Aficionado (210) Iowa Jun 18, 2010

I thought it was okay. Definitely geared towards "beginner" dark beer drinkers, IMO.
  18. Preluderl

Preluderl Savant (340) Pennsylvania Sep 27, 2012

I didn't smell or taste vanilla in it at all. Highly disappointed. I have one left, will likely throw it into a trade at some point.
  19. Miller/Coors owns them? What rock did I crawl out from under?
  20. tourdot

tourdot Savant (415) Wisconsin Mar 3, 2012

I grew up on Leinie's as I grew up in WI and that being said my opinion is somewhat biased because I want them to succeed. With that said, I had a pint of the Snowdrift Vanilla Porter and was quite disappointed. IMO it is very thin, little carbonation, virtually no head, with a very dull initial taste and a overwhelmingly sweet finish. I guess I should not expect anything of quality from the basic lineup anymore. In Leinie's support though, the Big Eddy series is awesome! I'm thrilled that they have this seasonal series of some higher quality brew. The Wee Heavy and RIS are very very good and if I want a Porter from Leinie's, I'll be sticking to the Big Eddy Baltic Porter.
  21. MagillaGriller

MagillaGriller Savant (315) Aug 20, 2012

If is 10 x better than their " shandy" , I may take as much as 30 seconds to drain pour it rather than spitting it out immediately.
  22. I was happy to find Leinie's Snowy Vanilla Porter in Longview, Washington at my Fred Meyer store. I didn't notice chocolate or vanilla as much as the coffee flavor. I did enjoy it and it's not the type of beer you throw back on a hot day. It's good to sip and has a dessert flavor quality so it makes a good after dinner drink that isn't too sweet. Personnally, I just cannot pair beer with dessert. Happy holidays everyone!
  23. devlishdamsel likes this.
  24. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

Leinenkugel just makes me nuts. I always seem to try things incl., The Big Eddy stuff and I'm always left underwhelmed & feeling like that price point would have been better spent on a company NOT treading water in the craft end of the pool. They are more of a gateway, so much like Sam Adams, they try to present styles in an easy drinking fashion but honestly I wouldn't suggest them as a gateway. To the Big Ed, nice try, thanks but no thanks. I'd buy Sam's Imperial series stuff again before going near Edward & I find the Imperial stuff to be just okay. I gotta believe they are cleaning up w/more non-beer drinkers(don't like the taste of beer) w/Lemon & Lemon Berry Shandy.
  25. Very good points Indeed. When i saw this post, I had neglected to actually do research and see if the beer was out yet ( which it is). Pretty poor rating points ( especially considering the porter i was weened on when i was 21 or so has some of the highest rating points on the site). Not a huge fan of gateway beer, I like the more serious beer these days ( and back in the day for the most part). Since porters are heavy on my stomach, perhaps I will pass and pick up some youngs double chocolate stout instead ( does the same thing but IMO worth it, if i am drinking chocolate milk style beer).
  26. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Advocate (500) Ohio Jul 4, 2008

I haven't had the Youngs Dbl Choc. Stout in so long. Ever since Well's bought & merged Youngs they have eliminated a once solid lineup of English beers in favor of only the aforementioned Dbl. Choc. Stout.:( Matter of fact in NE Ohio anyway that's the only Youngs offering to be found usually alongside Wells Banana Bread, which I haven't tried as of yet...IDK, banana bread?
  27. The Wells Banana Bread is incredibly sweet. Cloyingly so. Otherwise it's really not that bad. Tastes a lot like banana bread.

I tried the snowdrift vanilla porter last night. Lots of vanilla, not a lot of porter flavor. Honestly wish there was a little less vanilla and more beer flavor.
  28. One word describes this beer for me: meh. It's mostly what I expected in that there is nothing "wrong" with it, but there was nothing about the flavor that made me want to drink a 2nd bottle. I prefer Breckenridge Vanilla Porter by comparison.
  29. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Had this along some really good Porters a couple of days before Christmas.. this one was just fine.. but I drank three or four others that simply blew it away... too many good porter options out there to buy this one.