1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Jade.....to be bottled.

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by brstls4drmrs, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Now that's a quote worthy of a repost.

2. Hoppyum is average. Death By Hops is far above average and holds its own with West Coasters.

samtallica likes this.
  3. I should also say that my inclusion of what we now know is a reversion of Rocket Science shouldn't be used as an indicator that I'm hoping you do something more west-coasty. I for the most part was pointing out that there seems to be a lot of work on the style at the moment and I love that. I wasn't 100% sure what you were doing with Rocket Science, but I am happy to see its return.

Anyone who visits Fullsteam regularly knows there isn't really anything you guys (and ladies) do that emulates what's available in the market right now. That's what we like about you, it's why I envy my friends that are in walking distance.

<subliminal>First Frost Sour</subliminal>

peetoteeto likes this.
  4. nUgZ

nUgZ Savant (320) North Carolina Nov 4, 2012

The distribution will be VERY limited because I will be buying it ALL!!

flipdog0 likes this.
  5. Anyone heard anything on Jade in bottles? It's been all over the place on draft.

6. nUgZ

nUgZ Savant (320) North Carolina Nov 4, 2012

It'll still be a little while longer...things have been pretty crazy at the brewery recently.

7. Screw the bottles. I want to know if it will be order-able in keg form.

8. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Still working on labels. This is one brew that's all over the place, got a growler last week and it was just ok. Some batches blow you away, some just don't. Foothills is inconsistent as hell, the better Jade is as good as any IPA out there.

9. scifan

scifan Savant (285) North Carolina Aug 31, 2007

I feel the same way. I too got a growler last week and was a tad disappointed. Definitely not one of their better batches. Hopefully they'll get this dialed in before they start bottling.

10. That seems to be the case with alot of Foothills beers, very inconsistent. Unfortunately, with the exception of SC & BASC, I have found their beers to range from decent/mediocre to undrinkable.

11. FYI about jade. Paragraphs below taken from their newsletter.

What makes Jade so special? It’s the hops the beer’s named after... Pacific Jade hops are a relatively new varietal, first produced in 2004 and grown only in New Zealand (where there are no indigenous hop diseases). They’re known for their citrusy, peppery notes and are versatile enough to be used in all kinds of beer styles.

Jade will (hopefully) soon be available in 22-oz. bombers– but ‘til then it’s available at the pub, so come try it and see what all the buzz is about.

12. nc41

nc41 Advocate (745) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

Peoples Porter and the BA Peoples Porter are first rate IMO. A good batch of Jade is tremendous, hoppy, fruity lots of citrus. Some batches are all pine and resin, just depends, I prefer grapefruit bombs.

13. I think the Peoples Porter is decent, maybe a bit thin, but decent none the less, the BA Peoples Porter is actually quite good. The first time I tried the BAPP, it was a terrible mess of a beer, all bourbon no beer (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/11036/47378/?ba=CBlack85). Since then I have had it on several occasions and really enjoyed it, perhaps I had a bad batch that first time, I guess I should update my review...

I will give Jade a shot when I have a chance, hopefully it is better than their other hoppy beers

14. a little update via their facebook page:

[​IMG]

15. Here are my thoughts on some NC IPAs (single, not double):

-Jade - had it on tap at Good Bottle in CLT - delicious, juicy, good body & mouthfeel - one of my faves in NC easily.
    -Fullsteam Rocket Science IPA - had it recently at the tap room - amazing! Much better than I remembered and Sean's post tells me why. Reminded me of Odell IPA. Need to get a growler.
    -NoDa Hop Drop N Roll - really great west coast style IPA that's in cans now. Get it if you can.
    -Birdsong Higher Ground IPA - maltier and not as aggressive as others, but a very smooth, delicious local CLT IPA.
    -Triple C 3C IPA - very solid west coast style IPA out of CLT
    -Hoppyum - not my favorite, but not a bad choice for a local 6er

-Wicked Weed, Burial, Unknown, Wedge, and Steel String also make some really good hoppy beers. Not a personal fan of Big Boss' or Mother Earth's IPAs but they're solid. Just hard to choose over the local CLT and national IPAs we can get.

16. abb610

abb610 Savant (290) North Carolina Oct 14, 2010

I was up in Asheville last weekend and thought The Freak (Freak of Nature) had changed a little. I'm sure this may have to do with hop availability, but it tasted exactly like Foothills Jade. This is not a bad thing by any means, just not the same Freak as I have had before. For my tastes though, I would put the 3C up against any other single IPA in NC.

dailyminefield likes this.
  17. Hop Drop N Roll and Wicked Weed's Freak are what is blowing up in the Triangle right now. I think Freak of Nature has definitely changed with the last kegs that came here. I remember liking it better previously, its more boozy and pungent now it seemed when I had it a few days ago. I love some Jade.

18. Fonta Flora's Hop Beard is darn good as well (taproom & growlers only for now).

wolfeman007 likes this.
  19. ewright

ewright Savant (440) North Carolina Oct 25, 2007

Someone go like this for me. No tengo Facebook.

brstls4drmrs likes this.
  20. Jade in Kegs ?? It already is. Got a great Friend that picked up a 6tl in Blacksburg, VA.

21. Yeah, I wrote that a year ago before I tried NoDa HDR and Wicked Weed Freak :) I still have love for Jade though, just wish it had been packaged sooner. It is basically everywhere on tap now so I would assume orderable by consumers like me for home use. It'd be a fine beer to have on tap at home.

22. ben4unc

ben4unc Savant (250) North Carolina Feb 28, 2013

Gary,
    did your friend pick up a 1/6 barrel of Jade or a 1/2 ?

23. Said it was 6 gallons from Vintage Cellar

24. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

Those damned old English measurements! A sixtel, 1/6th barrel, something like 5.126 gallons. They should list how much stone it weighs. I drink Jade draft all of the time and will enjoy bringing bottles home to share with everyone. Cheers everyone!

25. I emailed Foothills about a keg of Jade about 6-8 months ago & they said they don't do 1/6ths only pony's & 1/2's anyone know if this has changed?

26. Jade currently is only available in 1/2 kegs. Not 1/4 (FH doesn't do 1/4)or 1/6s.They have not filled 1/6s for sale. FH says it will be available in bottles soon. How soon? As I've seen, "soon enough".

27. bottles are out at various bottle shops. Go get you some. FYI.

kristougher likes this.
  28. legend8706

legend8706 Savant (335) Virginia Oct 31, 2012

Do you know if Jade will see full distro (make its way to VA) or just stay in the great state of NC?

29. I suppose it depends on how much foothills bottled? Call your local store and ask them if they've heard anything about getting it

30. 22 ouncers are available at Wine 101 in Raleigh

31. I don't know exactly what the distribution footprint looks like, but I thought I heard/read that it is a permanent addition to the lineup not a seasonal release or anything. I'd take a guess that if that truly is the case it should eventually see full distro.

Cubatobaco likes this.
  32. next step.... 6 packs.

ben4unc likes this.
  33. What is the typical pricing on these bombers? I might've missed this first wave in CLT - hope there's more or at least hope they bottle more! Great beer.

34. Around $7 for bombers

35. Had my first Jade bottle last night, and it was awesome! Even better than I remember it on draft. Getting really psyched about the emerging NC IPA scene (picked up a few 4-packs of Hop Drop at the same time)!

36. rgordon

rgordon Savant (370) North Carolina Apr 26, 2012

Well, good gracious! I try to get to have one Jade draft a day, just for kicks, but bottles has been a plan that has happened. HD'nR is different than Jade perfectly. I really want to try the monthly IPAs AT Foothills. I have lunch and a beer or so calling. Cheers.