1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Jax/Tampa/Orlando BAs: Unusual request/questions...

Discussion in 'US - South-Atlantic' started by pixieskid, Jan 4, 2013.

1. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Here's the gist: Getting married the first week in February in St. Augustine Beach.

I know NE Florida quite well ( been to the jax area/st. augustine numerous times) but haven't visited anywhere else.

I'm quite familiar with the bulk of the breweries in your state (have had numerous good beers from CCB, Saint Somewhere, Tequesta, Green Room, Intuition, Swamp Head.)

What I'm trying to do is obtain a variety of kegs to serve at my wedding. I think I've got a jockey box secured from Mile Marker (but if anyone knows of one I can borrow/rent I would like to have a back-up plan). I've been in contact with a few breweries but would love to have a variety of beers from several breweries from Florida; anyone know a retailer/dist. that has a great selection of kegs that are available to the public? I'm willing/able to travel to Orlando and Tampa if that helps broaden my chances.

A few other random questions:

Does St. Somewhere offer their beer in kegs often?

Are there any new/unknown breweries I should keep an eye out for?

Trying to figure out what exactly to do for my bachelor party, any suggestions (aside from the obvious)?

Lastly, if anyone wants to get together for a beer while I'm in Florida I'm always down.

Cheers!

2. jloomis

jloomis Savant (280) Florida Jan 6, 2010

CCB has kegs available, just contact the Tasting Room manager (Billy) through their website.
    Congratulations!

3. Check out the brews from Green Room in Jacksonville Beach.

4. Check Total Wines. They have a fridge full of kegs. Some locals too. Bob at St Somewhere does keg. I'd message their facebook profile to inquire about acquiring one.

pixieskid likes this.
  5. crusian

crusian Advocate (620) Oregon May 14, 2010

About time! Why St Augustine though? I might have to crash this shindig. Lol.

6. BigGene

BigGene Initiate (0) Florida Oct 30, 2010

There is a company in the Orlanod area Tapsfromscratch.com, They rent customer fridge kegerators, Great concept and really reasonable. They will deliver to Jax, for a price.

Check them out.

7. pixieskid

Unfortunately for what I'm looking for, I just can't afford to work with them.

8. pixieskid

Been there a couple of times, solid beers. Unfortunately, they dont sell kegs to the public (just heard back from them via FB).

9. pixieskid

Haha, yeah it's getting close. Shit, I know you travel a ton, any chance you will be in Florida on SuperBowl weekend (our wedding is on groundhog day, the day before the superbowl). The more the merrier!

10. crusian

Beats me... But laurens parents live in st Augustine...

11. flabeer

flabeer Aficionado (160) Florida May 22, 2007

Your timing is perfect. Saint Somewhere just released Cynthiana draft this week. Should be available to order from Total Wine shortly. Florida exclusive this time. Saison brewed with Cynthiana grapes. Previously brewed for the Rare Beer Club.

pixieskid likes this.
  12. What about Engine15 in Jax? I know Intuition does as well.

13. pixieskid

Weird, small world. Well shit, you guys wanna come to the wedding? Guaranteed plenty of good beer and it's at the beach. Sounds like you'd already have a place to stay...

Sent you a bm.

14. pixieskid

Waiting to hear back about Intuition, Jonboat would be great for an easy drinking/approachable beer to everyone.

15. nickfl

nickfl Advocate (745) Florida Mar 7, 2006

You should contact Grassroots market in Jacksonville. I know people who have gotten kegs through them in the past and they have been willing to order anything that was requested. The only issue would be that they don't stock any kegs and have to order them for you and at this point you may be a bit short on time for that. Still, they might be able to get you beers from breweries that don't do dock sales such as Greenroom and/or things that you might not otherwise get your hands on.

pixieskid likes this.
  16. nulledge

nulledge Aficionado (170) Florida Jul 14, 2008

If you do go this route, I'd advise calling/stopping by and asking for Danny.

pixieskid likes this.
  17. crusian

We would love to. Our schedule, or rather my schedule is rough. I'll be in NJ I think then... or possibly LA. We have not been down to see her parents in a few years, so it would be a great reason!

pixieskid likes this.
  18. pixieskid

Im dead serious, you and Lauren are more than welcome; see if you can't swing it! Let me know asap...how's the attempt at moving to Portland going?

19. crusian

Heading up next week to look for a place or area, etc. so good, i guess. :)

pixieskid likes this.
  20. pixieskid

Thanks for your avatar (been trying to remember what the name of that new brewery is)!

21. drowland

drowland Savant (250) Georgia Jul 24, 2008

I am the aforementioned Danny that works at Grassroots.

We can get kegs, and if it's a common keg (Intuition, etc.) we can get it in a couple of days.

However, to be honest, it'd probably be easier for you to go snag one from Total Wine, though we'd be happy to help you out. We have good connections, so if you give me a call we might be able to find something...

I don't check BA much. You can hit me up on the other site (same name) or call the store.

Cheers!

sliverX likes this.