1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Jean-Marie Rock, Orval brewmaster, leaving to open new brewery

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by od_sf, Feb 26, 2013.

1. od_sf

od_sf Savant (430) California Nov 2, 2010

PaulQuinn and BedetheVenerable like this.
  2. digita7693

digita7693 Advocate (600) Germany Jan 19, 2010

Interesting, albeit brief article. Quite curious what this style that's been lost is going to be. Guess we have a bit of time to wait, but my curiosity is most definitely piqued.

3. trevorjk

trevorjk Savant (330) Netherlands Aug 28, 2009

4. bultrey

bultrey Savant (365) New York Jan 30, 2004

Still one of the greatest beers on earth.

poopinmybutt likes this.
  5. Monks don't brew the beer at Orval?

6. Wonder what the mysterious, lost "method" is he's talking about. Anyone have any insights?

7. To be Trappist the monks just need to oversee the process, not actually be brewmasters themselves.

From the Trappist Association Website...
    A “Trappist” has to satisfy a number of strict criteria proper to this logo before it may bear this name:
    1. The beer must be brewed within the walls of a Trappist monastery, either by the monks themselves or under their supervision.
    2. The brewery must be of secondary importance within the monastery and it should witness to the business practices proper to a monastic way of life
    3. The brewery is not intended to be a profit-making venture. The income covers the living expenses of the monks and the maintenance of the buildings and grounds. Whatever remains is donated to charity for social work and to help persons in need.
    4. Trappist breweries are constantly monitored to assure the irreproachable quality of their beers.

8. PaulQuinn

PaulQuinn Savant (295) Brazil May 27, 2011

Interesting. A forgotten style always calls you attention. OTOH, Orval is one of my favorite brews, hope it doesn't lose quality ofter his departure.

Anyways, another brewery to visit on my next trip to Belgium.