Jester King bottles

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by FUNKPhD, Apr 3, 2012.

1. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (355) Texas Aug 13, 2010

Copied at pasted from a certain Chicagoland bottle shop's webstore.
    Farmhouse Black Metal - Jester King Craft Brewing, Texas (750ml)
    Farmhouse Wytchmaker Rye - Jester King Craft Brewing, Texas (750ml)
    Mad Meg - Jester KingCraft Brewing,Texas(750ml)
    Noble King - Jester King Craft Brewing,Texas (750ml)
    Boxer's Revenge - Jester King Craft Brewing, Texas (750ml)
    Le Petit Prince- Jester KingCraft Brewing,Texas(750ml)

I wish we got a case of any of these beers.

2. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (415) Texas Jun 28, 2010

I'll have to bring more over to Whip In this afternoon.

- Jeff

3. Krumb

Krumb Savant (290) Texas Jan 30, 2008

Fern had one in the back. Maybe the last one. (hall's)

4. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (525) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Jeff

How does a shop in Chicago have Mad Meg and Boxer's Revenge on the shelves, but they aren't even readily available here in Austin yet? Is this based on the distributor sending them out before they land on the shelves here? Just seems strange, although I'll readily admit to not exactly understanding how distribution works!

5. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (390) Texas Dec 28, 2011

It probably has to do with having to wait for label approval

I think it's frustrating. I also think that we need to keep our frustration aimed at our goofy ass state laws making things difficult for us and not at a brewery that is helping us to change those laws.

6. kmello69

Ah yes, I momentarily forgot about the dreaded TABC. I figured label approval was needed before any bottles could be sent out, but from what I could see on the TABC web site,

"The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission regulates every phase of the business relating to alcoholic beverages, including labeling. A certificate of label approval, issued by this office, is required for all alcoholic beverages marketed in the State of Texas."

7. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (430) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Probably speaking out of turn here but I've seen Boxer's Revenge on the shelves here in TX already (perhaps last batch), so unless I'm missing something I don't think the label is an issue.

8. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (310) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011

Boxer's Revenge became available this week in Texas, so seeing it on the shelves isn't out of the ordinary.
    AFAIK this is the first time it's been released in bottles, so there is no "last batch."

9. BgThang

BgThang Savant (455) Texas Dec 23, 2007

I got three das today as well, and it was their last.

10. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Jeff has explained in the past that they send small amounts of beer to other states in order to make room for more cases at the brewery. They generally do this with beers that are awaiting TABC approval and are taking up space in the meantime. I have no problem with them sending beer outside of TX if it means they have room to bottle more.

http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/jester-king-in-california.3842/page-2#post-48384[\url]

11. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (415) Texas Jun 28, 2010

We just posted this blog entry on that topic. Cheers.

Mad Meg around the Globe, Boxer's Revenge in IL; Texas Next!

As we’ve talked about on a variety of other occasions, the process of getting labels approved in Texas is a bit more involved, and significantly more time consuming than it is is most of the rest of the country. Apart from a few specific exceptions, which we won’t get into here, all alcoholic beverages that are to be sold in the United States must receive a Certificate of Label Approval (COLA) from the U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB). In many states, a federal COLA is all that’s required for a licensed brewery, winery, distillery, or importer to register and start shipping any new products that they might wish to offer, but a few, including Texas, have additional requirements that can slow down the process significantly. In addition to the $25 label registration fee, which is fairly standard, Texas requires that the alcohol content of all malt beverages (but not wines or distilled spirits) to be tested either by the state laboratory, or by some other independent lab. This means that, whereas federal COLAs can be obtained as soon as the label design has been completed, well before a given product has even been made, malt beverages can’t be submitted for approval in Texas until the beer in question has been brewed and is ready to go.

For this reason, every beer, regardless of where it’s made, will always be legal to sell elsewhere before it’s legal to sell in Texas, and Texas breweries are often left in the position of sitting on finished beer, while they’re waiting for the labels to be approved.
    [​IMG]
    We received federal label approval for Mad Meg on February 19 at which point we sent bottles off for testing. Once we confirmed the the actual ABV% matched what would be stated on the labels, we sent them off to print, along with Boxer’s Revenge, which had already been tested for alcohol content and received its current COLA back in January. At that time, we also submitted both labels to the TABC for approval. Since both beers had already been tested for ABV, and since, following our lawsuit, Texas no longer has specific language requirements or prohibitions that are different from those of the federal government, TABC approval should have been a mere formality at that stage, but unfortunately, due to the backlog of new labels that they’ve been registering over the last few months, it’s a formality that’s now taking 3 weeks or more to complete. In the meantime, we have two options: either we sit on beer that’s fully labeled, ready to ship, and legal throughout most of the rest of the US, as well as for export, and await the OK from the TABC to start selling it in Texas, or we sell it somewhere else.

As those of you who have been to visit the brewery already know, we’re rather tight on space at Jester King, especially in our barrel room, where we also store all of our finished beer. When that room is full, we can’t package beer that’s ready, in the tanks, which, in turn, also means that we can’t brew more. Mad Meg is now a regular production beer for us, and by the time we received the labels, we not only had the first batch ready, but also a second that was only a few weeks behind. Having to choose between sending beer that we couldn’t sell in Texas out of state and halting production entirely while we waited for the OK to sell it in state, we opted for the former. Not long after we sent shipments to the IL, CA, and Europe, we did finally receive approval from the TABC, but by then, the die had already been cast. Not to worry, though, we have a huge batch of Mad Meg that should start hitting stores throughout the state the week of 4/16, and as is often the case with our beers, while we were very happy with the initial batch, we made a few minor tweaks to the second, which we feel will make it even better.
    [​IMG]
    The situation with Boxer’s Revenge is a little different. This is a beer that we can only produce in exceedingly small quantities right now, so apart from 2 cases that went to IL, we decided not to ship what little we had out of state. People of Texas, the rest is all yours, as soon as our distributor figures out the fairest way to divvy up the 100 or so cases that they’ve got. You may see some pop up here and there in and around Austin as soon as this weekend, with the remainder making its way out to market over the course of the next couple of weeks.
    [​IMG]
    We also opted not to ship any Beer Geek Rodeo out of state, and will be releasing it (of which we also don’t have much) as soon as the TABC gives us the OK. We don’t know exactly when that will be, but we’re hoping it’s soon, not only so that we can get it to those who might want it, but also so that we can clear some space in the brewery and make some more beer!

12. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (495) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Cheers! Most of the Boxer's Revenge is staying in TX. I can't wait to try the bottled version and have Mad Meg for the first time also. Thanks guys!

13. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

JK in Europe, interesting...

14. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Thanks for the update Jeff. I know it's not at all your fault but it's pretty damned pathetic that Chicago gets your beer faster than your home town. The Texas lawmakers should be ashamed of themselves for forcing small buisnesses like you to go out of state to sell their goods. Amazing!!!!!

15. kmello69

Jeff - thanks for the great explanation. Looking forward to getting some Mad Meg, Beer Geek and Boxer's to add to my collection - I've had em all at the brewery, and they're all great. Keep up the good work, and thanks again for the response.

Ken

16. BomberKing

BomberKing Aficionado (160) Texas Jan 15, 2011

snagged 2 bottles of Boxers at Whip-in.

17. bccocx

bccocx Champion (775) Texas Jan 13, 2007

An additional 5 cases are now at Whip-In. I'm sure it will be gone by the end of the night.

18. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Jeff, thank you very much for your post and bringing Texans awesome beer!

19. jl28r1

jl28r1 Savant (490) Texas Jan 10, 2011

Hey Jeff,
    It seems like Corpus Christi doesn't get much Jester King love, is there any chance more could be sent that way instead of out of state?

20. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (660) Texas Jul 14, 2009

and to san antonio!

pwsoldier likes this.
  21. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (310) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011

It's going to be an awesome Spring/Early Summer in Texas!

Let's just hope my Virtuoso rep can pull through.

22. miikezombie

Fixed.

23. miikezombie

I agree and I'm not from there.

24. BgThang

THANK YOU JEFF! the explanation helps greatly.

25. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Aficionado (240) Texas May 11, 2009

Mad Meg is rediculously amazing and one of the best beers I've ever had...getting it in bottles will be well worth the wait! Any chance for DFW to start seeing some JK kegs?

26. pwsoldier

pwsoldier Advocate (550) Texas Apr 26, 2007

Gabriel's in San Antonio just got 3 cases of Boxer's Revenge.

27. BgThang

just paid $20 a bottle at sunrise for this one bottle limit

Went down the road a ways, and got a few bottles for $16. so prices are varying a bit.

28. is whip in sold out?

29. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (660) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Shhh! Don't tell everyone ;)

30. BomberKing

BomberKing Aficionado (160) Texas Jan 15, 2011

I got mine yesterday at whip in. 2 bottle limit at 14.99 a piece I believe.

Went back today. Sold out.

31. Onslow

Onslow Savant (405) Texas Apr 12, 2007

i just gotta say i love the Rodeo label..

quite amusing

32. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (430) Texas Sep 30, 2007

I know its not Boxers or Das but i just bought the 2 last JK Farmhouse BM at arbor walk. Hope to try it tonight as ive not had the farmhouse version yet.

33. travis224

travis224 Aficionado (155) Texas Jul 24, 2010

I know Whip In had Boxer's. Anybody seen it anywhere else? Need to snag at least one bottle for a BA.

34. canadianghetto

Any updates for Houstonites?

35. icetrauma

I haven't heard anything yet. Brandon said he would twitter it when he knows more.

36. canadianghetto

I know I keep refreshing my twitter feed! Spec's doesn't seem to announce their new arrivals anymore. I know Lindsey used to post on here before the forum changeover, but haven't seen any updates in awhile.

37. icetrauma

Spec's forum presence has really dropped. I can never get a person on the phone at the downtown location who knows anything.

38. canadianghetto

Well I have buying a lot more from Brandon since he tips off when he gets new stuff.

39. icetrauma

Unfortunate for me D & Q is way outta the way for me but I try to get my growler fills as much as a I can.

40. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Unfortunately for me, I live right next to DNQ

icetrauma likes this.