1. Rating beers by attributes (look, smell, taste, feel, overall) is back! Read the latest update ...
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Jester King bottles

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by FUNKPhD, Apr 3, 2012.

1. lefty12

lefty12 Aficionado (170) Texas Feb 6, 2010

Just picked up a bottle at the D and Q! It has arrived in Houston. Apparently Houston only got 10 cases this run.

2. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

Boxer's Revenge at DNQ, limited supply. One bottle limit.

3. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (300) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011

I'm going to have a case of Boxer's at Whole Foods on Kirby on Friday that will be kept in the back.
    Come by the beer department after one pm and find me.

4. fragilehearted

fragilehearted Savant (270) Texas Dec 13, 2009

Boxer's Revenge is at Hall's, for any DFW folks.

5. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Boxer's has also made it onto shelves in Fort Worth.

Split a bottle last night....couldn't wait. Was awesome. I have limited experience with wild's but it was hard not to guzzle it down; me and the lady took a good 45 minutes to drink our glasses. I was really surprised with the flavors. Normally I have trouble picking out specific tastes unless they slap me in the face (newbie) but this was great. Complex and subtle. Anyway, won't bog you down with a review since this site has a perfectly good section for that kinda thing. Short version - seek it out, but save me some ;)

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  6. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

I havent heard from Justin(specs) in a while but i know that Dustin from arbor walk was either fired or quit.

7. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

Just picked up a couple bottles of Boxer's at Hyde Park Market in Austin...$20 a pop. Looked like about 8 more on the shelf...

8. Texasfan549

Texasfan549 Advocate (670) Texas Feb 26, 2011

9. lokieman

Yea I saw that too but not yet an accurate locator. At least 3 of the locations on that list did not have Boxer's as of yesterday when I went looking and was only able to find bottles at Hyde Park. Think it's just a list of all the places that are slated for distribution at some point.

10. Krumb

Krumb Savant (290) Texas Jan 30, 2008

That list was a great help! Found 4 more bottles (with at least 6 left on shelf) at King's #3 in Fort Worth. $15/bottle. Thanks for the heads up, Texasfan549!

Texasfan549 likes this.
  11. ElkSherpa

ElkSherpa Aficionado (200) Texas Dec 26, 2008

Anyone seen this in Houston besides what D&Q had earlier in the week?

12. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I think that D&Q is the only place in Houston that has gotten any so far, but Friday is looking like the day everywhere else may get some.

13. Texasfan549

No problem Krumb... Glad it helped you land more Boxer's!

14. lefty12

I just stopped by Specs(midtown) and they have Boxers but you have to ask for it. Lindsey will help you and pull it from the back.

15. Texasfan549

Is there a bottle limit?

16. lefty12

I didnt ask about the bottle limit but i would think so.

17. Texasfan549

Ok, thanks

18. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Pissed. Was there yesterday and didn't know it came in. I even talked to Lindsey and didn't even think to ask. I hope there is some left when I go over today

19. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

If you go buy there tonight please post up here. I get off at 7 and would love to shoot down the street. You wouldn't happen to be the same Coug on bb.com?

20. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

My wife grabbed me a bottle at midtown after work. 1 bottle limit. They got 4 cases. 13.99 cash price.

21. FUNKPhD

They list Hay Merchant as having it, but that's for Underbelly apparently.

22. kspongeworthy

kspongeworthy Savant (305) Texas Feb 25, 2011

Any word on HEBs?

23. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Stopped by and grabbed one yesterday. Sorry I didn't post up in time. Hopefully you were able to grab one. And no, Im just on here.

24. HEB Montrose Market just got one case in... no bottle limit either... seriously

25. Sounds like D&Q, Central Market, and HEB Montrose are all sold out... :(

26. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

With the rumor of only getting 10 cases in Houston, it's no surprise all is gone.

27. ElkSherpa

ElkSherpa Aficionado (200) Texas Dec 26, 2008

There was a full case on the shelf at HEB on Buffalo Speedway @ 59. Nine bottles left as of 3pm.

28. some bottles still left at flag mart in austin, 4 or so at noon.

29. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (655) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Bravo JK! Just tried the Boxers Revenge and had a hard time believing I was drinking a beer brewed in TX. I was pleasantly surprised by the tartness of this beer, just right. Although I enjoy "fruited" wild ales, lambics, etc it's nice and refreshing to have a sour/wild ale WITHOUT fruit. Beautiful beer :)

jesterkingbeer likes this.
  30. Grendle

Grendle Aficionado (220) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Just got my 2 bottles @ Alon Market for $15.99 but appear to be sold out. Worth a try bc they were stocking when I left.

31. FUNKPhD

Heard this at the tour today: hopefully more Das Wunderkind! by mid May and bottles of SOUR Black Metal by this fall. I known noone cares, but Beer Geek Rodeo is scheduled for two weeks delivery in Austin, a week after that elsewhere.

canadianghetto likes this.
  32. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Savant (420) Texas Sep 30, 2007

sorry but sour bm just sounds like shit to me.

33. lokieman

Is Beer Geek Rodeo no bueno or something? Haven't heard much chatter about it and obviously I've yet to try it...

34. DonD

I didn't like it at all when I tried it. Neither did the couple people I was with.

35. DonD

I enjoyed it.

36. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (370) Texas Dec 28, 2011

I really enjoyed the sour black metal. Kind of a headfuck. From the dark appearance you just don't expect the tart crispness of it. Like when you drink craft beer from a can the first few times and you keep thinking it should taste like some Budweiser BS.

The rodeo is really tasty.

It's a bummer that the boxers revenge is pricey and limited because I just can't get enough. I feel like I did some serious damage last night and the first thing I want this morning is another sour.

37. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

I think Sour BM is pretty damn good but I just don't know where the roastiness went. If you drank it blindfolded you would never guess that it was a dark beer. I like Jolly Pumpkin Madrugada Obscura as a better Sour Stout, but Sour Black Metal is good and I will be happy to buy some bottles when it comes out.

BGR is also no slouch. The peppers are very well integrated, but the coffee could be a little more present. I will buy it in bottles with no hesitation.

Also with Boxer's Revenge, I thought the carbonation was a little low. I have an extra bottle that I plan on sitting on for at least another 6 months to see how it develops. Overall an awesome beer and I am glad to have a great sour brewed in TX. My only complaint is where is the whiskey taste from the whiskey barrels?

I realize all my comments sound like am complaining, but I love Jester King and only wish them the best of success!

38. I think BR is the best sour to ever come out of this state, save for some of the things that come from Real Ale's Mysterium Verum program. Mine was low on carb. too, but since JK stopped force-carbing their beers, I guess ill sit on the others I have for 6-9 months and then try them again.

I didnt think they could top DW, but they did, IMO. BR is an absolutely outstanding beer.

39. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (390) Texas Jun 28, 2010

I think you were talking to me. I don't believe I said more Das Wunderkind! by mid-May. If I did, I misspoke. In the interest of not making promises that go unkept, let me just say that right now we are on schedule to release new batches of Das Wunderkind!, Boxer's Revenge and sour Black Metal (which is just a working title at this point) this year. A major goal of ours is to have these beers, as well as other beers from our barrel room, become year-round beers always available on the shelves of select bottle shops in Texas. Our expansion projects are designed around increasing the size of our barrel cellar rather than attempting to install more and more stainless tanks towering progressively taller.

Beer Geek Rodeo is bottle conditioned and just awaiting TABC label approval at this point. As soon as we get approval, we'll move that beer out to market as fast as we can.

Jeff Stuffings
    Owner/Brewer
    Jester King

40. FUNKPhD

They neutralize the flavor from the barrels so they don't pick up flavors too much. They said they age the beers in Jack Daniel barrels, but I did see some Buffalo Trace barrels while I was there. Not sure what they're using them for, though.