1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Jester King Danish Day Festival, JK/Mikkeller "Weasel Rodeo" Release

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by jesterkingbeer, Feb 24, 2012.

1. SSW117

SSW117 Aficionado (165) Texas Jan 21, 2009

Petit Prince on draught and Noble King in bottle have been on the Saucers shelves for quite some time now. You should be able to find it anywhere there is someone that cares.
  2. SSW117

SSW117 Aficionado (165) Texas Jan 21, 2009

Its the internet. No one is ever serious on the internet. Especially not Ken (BGThang) And if he is serious, dont worry about giving him a refund, I will gladly buy the ticket. He knows where to find me.
  3. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Savant (475) Texas Oct 15, 2011

Just bought 2 tickets. Can we start the bottle share at noon like the last party? I propose we put a 24 oz (ok 25.4 oz) max to keep the bottle share chill and still have plenty of "tolerance" available for the great Jester King brews.
  4. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I'm a bit concerned about the price tag on Weasel Rodeo and the forthcoming Whiskey Rodeo. I was planning on buying several bottles of the Weasel and Whiskey (if possible) but JK's latest blog isn't so reassuring. I'm guessing $20 plus for the Weasel and who knows for the Whiskey...$30 plus? I'm sure no matter what the cost I will still purchase the bottles but when the brewers themselves tell you to start "saving your money" it makes you wonder...
  5. jamescain

jamescain Advocate (650) Texas Jul 14, 2009

Ingredients are not cheap.
  6. lokieman

I'm fully aware...I've been a chef for over 15 years and well aware of the "cost of goods" that figures into price points. I'm just wondering if anybody has any estimates that contradict my own...
  7. jamescain

I agree with you that $20-30 sounds about right.
  8. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (390) Texas Jun 28, 2010

The Weasel Rodeo will actually be a little cheaper than planned because the $200 per pound Kopi Luwak didn't make it in the beer because we're idiots. The Whiskey Rodeo is the one that's going to be ludicrously expensive for us to make since it's getting a big dose of Kopi Luwak.

Jeff Stuffings
  9. lokieman

Thanks for the info Jeff...can't wait. Definitely looking forward to both of the new "Rodeo" beers.
  10. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (405) Texas Dec 15, 2010

So if the Kopi Luwak was inadvertently left out of the first batch... why not change the name(nameS on both batches, reeally)? Wouldn't keeping it as "Weasel Rodeo" imply(well, to the unsuspected anyway) that there is actual "weasel coffee"... kopi, included in the beer? Seems like a train wreck waiting to happen when people(who don't read your blogs) find out there isn't actual Kopi coffee in your "Weasel" Rodeo.

"Whiskey Barrel Aged Weasel Rodeo" anyone?
  11. canadianghetto

Because "Synthetic Weasel Rodeo" doesn't have much of a ring to it.
  12. jamescain

ISO: synthetic weasel rodeo
  13. BgThang

BgThang Savant (435) Texas Dec 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Sam knows me too well. Yes I was kidding about the refund.
  14. lbour

lbour Aficionado (170) Texas Jul 17, 2011

Bought a dozen bottles of Brunch Weasel at Stein's Deli in New Orleans a month back and it was less than $15 a bottle (0.5L). I suspect Jeff is being overly cautious. My guess is between $20 and $25.
  15. canadianghetto

Mikkeller is almost always kinda pricey and an imported product so you have to factor that in as well.
  16. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Just bought my tickets - can't wait!!
  17. I have to disagree, Mike. Low end Oregon Pinot is about $14 and avg is around $19/20
  18. miikezombie

miikezombie Savant (345) Texas Aug 13, 2010

I was joking. ;)

-Glen
  19. jesterkingbeer

20. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

So are people actually in for a small bottle share? Trying to decide if I'm gonna head up a little early. Usually there is a bit more talk about who is going and what they may be bringing.
  21. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Aficionado (245) Texas Sep 22, 2006

I'm up for a bottle share. Not sure what I'll bring yet.
  22. canadianghetto

Jeff said it was cool to have a bottle share, but to not let it get out of hand. I am hoping to get a 6-pack of Zombie Dust in on Friday so I will bring one of those plus something else I haven't decided yet. I can't get there until 12:30 or so since I have to try and get Dark Lord Day tickets for a friend who can't make it to a computer at that time. See you guys!
  23. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

After the last bottle share, and the "turbo round" of 20+ beers in 30 minutes, I would try and figure out some way to control the amount of beers being opened at one time.
  24. ISO: "Weasel" and Whiskey Rodeos! FT: Eclipse or Pliny!

These both sound amazing! I am definitely going to be trying to track each of these down. I am a HUGE Beer Geek Brunch fan. :D
  25. ElkSherpa

ElkSherpa Aficionado (200) Texas Dec 26, 2008

I intend to bring a bottle or two for a bottle share. Keeping it simple and taking it slow.
  26. mindswoop

mindswoop Aficionado (220) Texas Dec 22, 2011

Really looking forward to this on Saturday! Any guesses on what surprise kegs might show up? Or hints from the JK folks!
  27. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (360) Texas Dec 28, 2011

28. canadianghetto

29. mindswoop

30. ElkSherpa

ElkSherpa Aficionado (200) Texas Dec 26, 2008

What a pleasant day! Low key bottle share, nice weather, and great music. I was especially happy to try Hill Farmstead Anna, and Mikkeller Barrel aged Chipotle porter at the bottle share table (thanks to those who brought those!), and of course all the great Jester King beers.
  31. Show

Show Aficionado (235) Texas Jul 21, 2011

mystery beer??
  32. bbadger

bbadger Savant (385) Texas May 20, 2011

How was the Weasel Rodeo? I wish I could have been there.
  33. mindswoop

There was no mystery beer. Big letdown on that part. Enjoyed the expected offerings though.
  34. canadianghetto

Don't think there was one...
  35. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (245) Texas Aug 28, 2010

Today was great. Good times.
  36. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

I brought the Anna. Thanks for the Salt of The Earth (pretty sure that was you). That was very tasty. never got to try your saison.

Was disappointed to not see any special tappings; although i left at 4, so there may have been some later.

Crowd was perfect size. Could have had more and still been comfortable. Check in was pretty slow. Never much of a wait for beer, though. Overall, we had a good time, but we left at 4, because we hit our max pours. Sucks, because it was a great time and we wanted to hang out longer. Pretty sure the regular Saturday tours are $10 for a glass and 3 full pours, so to pay $20 for a glass and 6 half pours was a let down. And they were pretty strict on keeping the pours below the line. Beers were great, though.

Pizza was great and the music was good.
  37. jesterkingbeer

No special tappings? We had:

Djaevlebryg Gudelos
    Kissmeyer Denied Entry
    Mikkeller 1000 IBU
    Mikkeller Tiger Baby
    Mikkeller Sorachi Ace
    JK/Mikkeller Beer Geek Rodeo

That keg of Gudelos was freakin' hard to get and expensive too. In our opinion, Boxer's Revenge, Das Wunderkind! and Sour, Barrel Aged Black Metal are special too. We know how hard they are to make, how long they take and how little we've been able to produce thus far.

We put together a lineup that we think was pretty special and rare, especially in Texas where there's a stupid TABC embargo on small, artisan beer. This is the best we can do, folks. Take it or leave it.

Regarding pour sizes, we did six half pours like we do every Saturday.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King
  38. dumptruck81

dumptruck81 Savant (360) Texas Dec 28, 2011

No complaints here. I had an awesome time! Thanks to Jeff and all the jester king staff that made it happen. Everything was well thought out. Thanks for letting us come to your house and be a part of your contribution to the local craft scene. The collaboration brew was solid and I hope you keep doing them.
  39. atxdelivery

atxdelivery Aficionado (245) Texas Aug 28, 2010

The one complaint I heard from several people, had nothing to do with the beer but with the food. The common theme was that pizza was over priced and sucked. I heard they were the land owners friends but I think the JK dudes should make it clear to him/her more than one option for food is probably a good idea, maybe something like fajitas, smothered in a particular "Griller's Rub" would be a nice alternative.
  40. kunstdrache

kunstdrache Aficionado (245) Texas Sep 22, 2006

Had an excllent time at jk- enjoyed plenty of good beers. Thought the sour black metal and das wunderkid was very good, especially the sour black metal- I hope jk plans to bottle it! The bottle share was good as usual- I enjoyed Anna, the 50/50 and acreage saison (homebrew by elksherpa) which was very very good.