Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Jester King Danish Day Festival, JK/Mikkeller "Weasel Rodeo" Release

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by jesterkingbeer, Feb 24, 2012.

1. raffy313

raffy313 Savant (450) Texas Dec 15, 2010 Verified

Any more complaints? Were there no parking valets to take your Lexus' at the gate? Was the lawn not cut to your specifications? Seriously, you guys are so spoiled! Do you realize how priviledged you were to be a part of even half that beer line up? Still there's complaints about "no mystery tapping" and the food provided(...of all things).

You guys don't realize how good you had it, living so close to such an up and coming artisanal brewery. *Disappointed*
  2. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

I've yet to make a JK event (always have to work Saturdays) and we all know Jeff and the JK guys are on here frequently. I'm making it a point to do whatever I have to do to make it out there for a future event(s). I'd hate to see them pull the plug on ideas for future events because of negative feedback. I'm sure it is a lot of work throwing these shindigs for them and why keep doing them if all they hear is bitching about trivial aspects of their parties.

Where is the positive feedback...how's the Weasel Rodeo? Surely there were some happy and content guests who attended who can reassure the Jester King guys that they are much appreciated. Shit, I've never been able to make one and I appreciate the fact that they care enough about their local fans to share their brewery with us...Where's the love guys?
  3. DonD

DonD Savant (285) Texas Jun 23, 2008 Verified

I probably shouldn't have posted after a full day of drinking. I wasnt able to convey the point i tried to make. The amount of pours wasn't an issue for me. It was just that there was more than 6 beers that I wanted to try, so I would have gladly taken smaller pours for the ability to try more beers. But I realize there isn't an easy way to do that. And having people want to drink more of your beer is a good problem to have.

Regarding the special taps, I didn't remember the initial list that was posted, so i assumed that what was pouring from the start was stuff that was already listed. I thought that random stuff would be tapped throughout the day, so that is simply me being misinformed. I apologize for that. All the beers I tried were great. And only one ran out before I got to try it.

Overall, we had a great time and look forward to going back. My apologies for the initial post.
    jesterkingbeer and isitsavage like this.
  4. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Savant (485) Texas Feb 3, 2009 Verified

Yeah I am sort of shocked at people complaining about the tap list and the $20 price tag. Name me a bar in Texas with that good of a tap list, and as much beer as was probably shared at the bottle share, where you could have as much fun for $20. If you can name one, I'll stop now, but I've been to plenty of Texas beer events and can't think of any.

Just 6 half-pours of beer alone is enough to warrant a $20 price tag, plus you got a nice glass on top of that, AND a great bottle share. If it's not worth your $20, don't go back and the people who actually enjoy these types of events will continue to support Jester King and be glad that less people were there because they're already fairly busy as is. I'm so thankful we have Jester King in our state and will continue to support them always.
  5. mindswoop

mindswoop Savant (255) Texas Dec 22, 2011

Jeff, I had a great time and loved getting to try some of the great beers. The Boxer's and the sour BM are awesome! Really enjoyed the Rodeo! I think JK deserves a ton of credit for doing something no one else in TX is even experimenting with...it's why I love your beers so much! It was nice to try some of the Gudelos (which I believe I spotted additional kegs of) as well as I would have never sought it out on my own nor knew anything of it. I didn't see the keg that would be described as "Special Yet to Be Named Barrel Room One Off", but it's entirely possible I missed that with such an ambiguous description.

I think some of the confusion with the "mystery/surprise keg" was that a) it would appear at some point during the event, not the beginning and b) it would be something that was more well-known. Additionally, the reply a few weeks ago to the guy wanting a refund fueled the idea that the "mystery/surprise keg" would be something most would recognize. Having the Cantillon keg at the anniversary party also put expectations pretty high to begin with. Miscommunications happen all the time even when we do all we can to minimize them. Y'all are still a young brewery with multiple challenges and not enough staff to meet them (as with every new business).

The good news is that people think so highly of your beer that they will give you feedback and none of the complaints are about your product, just miscommunications. In the increasingly competitive microbrew market of central TX, it's a great compliment that nearly all your beers are so well received! Can't wait to see what y'all brew next and excited to see you experience greater success! Cheers!
  6. isitsavage

isitsavage Aficionado (160) Texas Feb 9, 2011

I had a great time at the event and enjoyed every beer I had. Didn't participate in the bottle share cause we ended up coming out kinda last minute and I forgot to grab something. Looked like you guys were having a great time though, I regretted not bringing something when I saw the Hill Farmstead bottle over there. The mood of the event was great, super laid back in my opinion, especially after dealing with SXSW all week. When you consider that they're more or less giving their (extremely time consuming and expensive) beer away at these events you really have to applaud everything they do. I hope they continue to fight the TABC and overturn all these crazy laws so they can actually make some money on the beers they produce and continue to make more.

I'll take this opportunity to sincerely thank you Jester King, you're hands down the best brewery in TX in my opinion and I'm so excited to have the chance to live so close to you guys and try all your amazing beers pretty much whenever I want. You're saving the Texas craft beer scene and you're doing things the right way, better than anyone else. Cheers! See you next time.
    jesterkingbeer likes this.
  7. bentwookie

bentwookie Initiate (0) Texas Jan 13, 2008

I liked the pizza but it took a while and they ran out.
    The beers were great but I hate that I missed out on the Tiger Baby. Had a taste of my friends and it was awesome.

Thanks guys for a great time! I look forward to bottled Rodeo.
  8. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (655) Texas Nov 27, 2011 Verified

This was my 3rd or 4th Jester King event, and they never fail to impress. I thought that there was a great selection of beers, and was able to try the Beer Geek Rodeo, Tiger Baby, 1000 IBU, Gudelos, the Kissmeyer "Denied Entry" and of course my favorite, the Black Metal Sour (PLEASE bottle this!). My focus was on stuff thats not in bottles right now, and to be able to have good sized samples of 6 new beers, plus the glass (my set is almost complete...), plus a beautiful spot to hang out on a beautiful day, all for only $20, is awesome. So thanks again for another great event.

As a separate plug, I decided to stop at Thirsty Planet, which is just a few miles from Jester King, and that's a spot that should get more attention as well. Beautiful tasting room and outside area, and for $7 you get a glass and 3 pint fills. I had 2 pints of Fat Bat smoked porter and a pint of Thirsty Goat before I even made it over to JK! :)

Its great living somewhere where people are really focused on making and drinking great beers. Well done!
  9. jesterkingbeer

jesterkingbeer Savant (475) Texas Jun 28, 2010 Verified

We're with you on the food situation in terms of there not being enough. That's an issue we don't intend to repeat. Thanks for the feedback.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King
  10. jesterkingbeer

Absolutely. Jake and Brian at Thirsty Planet do a great job. I'd encourage you check out the Barber Shop in Dripping Springs too. I consider JK, Thirsty Planet and Barber Shop the southwest beer swing.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King
  11. lokieman

lokieman Savant (475) Oklahoma Jan 20, 2011

So did the name of the Mikkeller collab change from Weasel Rodeo to Beer Geek Rodeo?
  12. thirdeye11

I believe that's the case yes, since their blog entry stated that they didn't actually put any weasel coffee into Beer Geek Rodeo (by mistake).
  13. jesterkingbeer

Yes. Exactly.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King
  14. WickedSluggy

WickedSluggy Advocate (530) Texas Nov 21, 2008 Verified

A beer brewed with Vietnamese coffee sounds awesome. When do you add the sweetened condensed milk? Will there be little tapioca balls at the bottom of the bottles?
  15. canadianghetto

canadianghetto Advocate (530) Texas Oct 15, 2011 Verified

You can experiment at your own leisure after the beer is released in bottles.
    WickedSluggy likes this.
  16. jesterkingbeer

No problem here. We appreciate your support.
  17. jesterkingbeer

Thanks! You're correct that the barrel room one-off didn't make it out. We should have clarified that in advance. We promised a few surprises (not a mystery keg per se). We considered the Kissmeyer Denied Entry and the Gudelos the surprises. I thought the Gudelos would make more of a splash. Perhaps it did. Thanks again for your kind words.

Jeff Stuffings
    Jester King
  18. thirdeye11

Gudelos is a fantastic beer and one I've only had the chance to try once before. Certainly appreciate your efforts to get it here. Wish I'd been there to try some more of that awesome stuff!
  19. SSW117

SSW117 Aficionado (165) Texas Jan 21, 2009

You should also understand that keeping the pours to the line is not Jester King being skimpy, it is the law and the festival can be shut down if the bartenders are loose with this policy. Also, festivals in Texas are strictly limited to the maximum amount of beer one can serve, I assure you they would give out more if they could. Pretty rediculous that places downtown are legally allowed to do "bottle service" and give full bottles of liquor to people but us beer folks cant give out half that much. Not to mention the $5 pitchers of liquor you can find on Thursdays on 6th street.
  20. thirdeye11

Yup indeed. We wanted to do more than 24oz for the Big Texas Beer Fest, but with admission it's the most we can sell at one time. We just decided to price the 24oz refill sampler cards inexpensively (only $2) to get closer to what most of us desire with a beer festival.
  21. HopAG

HopAG Advocate (505) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Any of this stuff still floating around, haven't seen it for a couple of months now
  22. AdamR46

AdamR46 Savant (250) Texas Nov 18, 2011 Verified

Last place I saw this was at Gabriel's in San Antonio. I was buying a bottle every time I went. One day I went by for something and somebody bought the last two cases. Haven't seen it since. One of my favorite all time beers. Only have three left. Wish I could have tried whiskey rodeo.
  23. channels321

channels321 Savant (310) Texas Apr 16, 2012 Verified

I saw it at Stone Oak HEB in San Antonio about a month ago, not sure if it is still there now.
  24. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (660) Texas Jun 30, 2010

If it makes you feel any better I took my last Whiskey to Zwanze Day and it's toast. Coffee, peppers, and whiskey have all faded.

And I treated that beer well. Kept it refrigerated since the day it came out.
    AdamR46 likes this.