1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jester King El Cedro

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by Pruppet_Master, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Pruppet_Master

Pruppet_Master Member

Hi all! Got my hands on a bottle of the first batch of this beer and was wondering what the timetable was like on it. I'm guessing, with the Citra hops, it's going to start fading pretty soon? Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
  2. cfh64

cfh64 Member

No clue since it just came out. Yes, I'm sure the hops will fade but it does have brett in it. I guess it kinda depends what your looking for. If you want it to taste cleaner and hoppier then open it now. If you prefer funk, as I do, I'd say age it and let the brett work its magic. As far as the cedar goes, I have no idea whether that will hold up or fade since its a rather unique wood to use and I don't have much/any experience with other cedar aged beers that I can think of.

Disclaimer. I have had El Cedro and really enjoyed it fresh but I tend to prefer aging most beers that have brett since I like "the funk". I don't even know if there is a beer, with brett, that I have preffered fresh over aged but everyone has their own opinion on this based on their tastes.
  3. cmoody91

cmoody91 Member

Pretty much what I might say too. Brett characteristics are pretty minimal right now from my limited experience, but the hops are super juicy and really incredible. Hard to say if you would loose too much to keep it in balance over time..