1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Jim Koch Weighs in on Hop-Bombs

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlcahueteJ, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tronester, sneezye, azorie and 10 others like this.
  2. Koch dropping knowledge on suckas.

Im excited to meet him at the BBC in Boston this year
    VncentLIFE likes this.
  3. lucasj82

lucasj82 Advocate (630) Indiana Aug 13, 2009

I agree to an extent as I have climbed the IBU mountain and have moved down to a more moderate range for most of my Pale Ale beers, but sometimes I want a 100+ IBU monster.
  4. KS1297

KS1297 Initiate (0) Wisconsin Apr 14, 2013

I dont get the point of the article.
  5. Just was hired to the company in Boston. Great operation they have going on and can't wait to meet him!
    KevinGordon and alex_hart like this.
  6. MikeCactusGordon

MikeCactusGordon Savant (490) Ohio Feb 20, 2011

At first I was like "wuh?"

Then I was like "uh huh"

And then I was like "aw yeah"
  7. DStoked

DStoked Savant (320) Ohio Sep 28, 2011

So basically..."Anyone that likes super hoppy beers is, quite simply, just not as sophisticated as me." -Koch
  8. Are you feeling insulted?
  9. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

"There's a real purpose of the brewer's art, which is not to make strange, exotic, extreme. At the end of the day the purpose of the brewer's art is to make beers that give people pleasure."

I find a bit of contradiction between those two statements. It may just be because it's the current trend, but I find that strange/exotic/extreme beer do in fact give craft beer fans pleasure.

I also don't see why you can't have complexity and harmony in an 80-ibu ipa. Every style is plagued with the same issue of having 100 or so world-class examples, with 1000 more that are "meh". Not just the extremely flavorful ones.

My inner monologue reading along with that half of the article had a sour grapes tone to it.
  10. DStoked

I couldn't care less what Jim Koch thinks, I'm just pointing out that he sounds like an arrogant prick.

I laughed out loud when he purported to know exactly how we all define pleasure: "There's a real purpose of the brewer's art, which is not to make strange, exotic, extreme. At the end of the day the purpose of the brewer's art is to make beers that give people pleasure."
  11. DStoked

Exactly
  12. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

heady topper is not new or interesting but Latitute 48 is? Riiiiiiiiiiight.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Champion (955) Virginia Feb 27, 2012

How does Koch explain Utopias then? I mean wouldn't that be considered exotic/extreme?
  14. My favorite bit was when he took it upon himself to describe the evolution of every beer drinker's palate. I never had a hop-happy stage to move past; I just used 60-minute IPA from DFH to cut my teeth enough so that stronger beers like stouts wouldn't railroad me into the ground. Then I wound up revisiting IPAs, and wound up liking them quite a bit.

But I'm sure Koch knows me better than I know myself, so whatever.
  15. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Savant (440) Oregon Aug 17, 2005

That's rather hypocritical coming from the guy who's company has put out Utopias, Triple Bock, the god awful "historically accurate" hard rootbeer, and dozens of "strange, exotic and/or extreme" things in the LongShot series.
    kwakwhore, Roguer, cnbrown313 and 3 others like this.
  16. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I don't think thats what he was saying. He's saying that the trend now is to make beers that are entirely hop focused but otherwise unbalanced. While there are tons of balanced IIPAs out there, heady, hopslam, pliny... there are many out there that are just bitter hops and nothing else. If anything Lat48 is an example of him practicing what he preaches.
  17. This is what I got out of it all.

There is a whole lot of butthurt going on in this thread.

[​IMG]
    M1k3y, Bung, harrylee773 and 8 others like this.
  18. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

"There's a real purpose of the brewer's art, which is not to make strange, exotic, extreme. At the end of the day the purpose of the brewer's art is to make beers that give people pleasure."

I can agree with a lot of what he had to say, and this^^ statement is especially true in my opinion.
    craigo19 and Roguer like this.
  19. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) New York Jan 15, 2011

directly from the article:

Interviewer: I asked Koch what he thought of the Alchemist's Heady Topper and other massive IPAs

Koch: "They're big IPAs. There's 100 of them. Are they new or interesting? Not really"

He absolutely said Heady is not interesting.
  20. I should first disclose that I really like hoppy beers. I think that Heady Topper is an excellent beer! I recently purchased a case of Ithaca Flower Power which I am really enjoying.

So, I happen to think that Jim Koch has a good point of: “then you're looking at the real fundamentals of quality, which to me is not just a lot of flavor but is balance, and complexity and harmony. That's kind of where I am. Let me see what flavors they put in there and how they came together.”

Drinking a beer which has” balance, and complexity and harmony” is also a very enjoyable experience. I recently homebrewed a Kolsch which fits the description of “balance, and complexity and harmony” to a T, and I enjoy drinking that beer as well.

I will never stop drinking beers like Heady Topper, Palate Wrecker, Flower Power, etc. but I certainly do appreciate “balance, and complexity and harmony” as well.

We are so lucky to be living during the American craft beer era where we have so many excellent beers to choose from: hop-monsters and balanced beers as well.

Cheers!
  21. Revenant

Revenant Savant (350) Minnesota Aug 8, 2012

I haven't drank a Samuel Adams beer in like 7 years. People still care for this pedestrian, just barely better than Inbev brews shite?
  22. Overly hoppy beers give me pleasure.
  23. stupac2

stupac2 Initiate (0) California Feb 22, 2011

I'll trust Koch's view on IPAs when he brews a good one.
  24. Jim Koch is more of a marketing genius than he is a brewer.. Look at Infinium and their ridiculously shaped glass with "laser-etched nucleation points to release aroma".. Please.. It's called puffery.
  25. BrettHead

BrettHead Advocate (525) Nebraska Sep 18, 2010

harperman69 and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  26. jbarone

jbarone Zealot (90) New York Jan 24, 2013

Is Heady great? Absolutely. Is Jim Koch right? Absolutely.

You have to love the hate for Sam Adams on Beer Advocate.
    Bung, harrylee773, Roguer and 10 others like this.
  27. Just because Koch suggests that there is more skill in making balanced beers than "extreme" beers, it doesn't mean he can't still brew extreme beers. It seems as if a lot of responders to this post are trying to call him a hypocrite. The guy's running a business and is responding to what consumers want. That doesn't mean he can't have his opinions on the matter.
  28. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (685) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

I respect Jim Koch but he comes off as a douche in this interview. He was speaking alot of truth, but it gets blinded by his hop-bomb comments. Comapring the experience of drinking a world-class DIPA to BMC is ridiculous. And saying that it involves no skill, meanwhile SA has never pumped out an IPA that grabbed people's attention. He just sounds salty imo..
  29. It's funny how the brewers who don't have any great IPAs in their lineup are always saying hoppy beers and IPA's are just a phase. If Greg Koch or Tony Magee said this it would hold more weight.
  30. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Savant (355) Minnesota Dec 10, 2006

This.
  31. Grumpy Monk grabbed mine?

I fucking love that beer.
  32. LopeJuice

LopeJuice Savant (325) New York Aug 23, 2012

forget it, donny, you're outta your element
  33. Mavajo

Mavajo Advocate (550) Georgia Feb 10, 2007

I know there's a big crowd here that swings from his jock strap, but the more I hear Jim Koch talk, the more he sounds like a raging jackass. He thumbs his nose at IPAs/DIPAs because they're apparently too predictable for Lord Koch. That's rich. A guy that brews 2.7M barrels a year of mediocre beer criticizing other brewers for being too predictable. "Mediocrity" can be predictable too.

And no, I'm not much of a hop head. But I still appreciate them from time to time.
  34. leedorham

leedorham Champion (835) Washington Apr 27, 2006

Jim Koch likes Cranberry Lambic.

His brother Greg brews better beer.
  35. Cvescalante

Cvescalante Savant (400) Texas Dec 24, 2012

He very clearly stated that "At the end of the day the purpose of the brewer's art is to make beers that give people pleasure." He said that after making his statement about strange, exotic, extreme beers, which BBC makes. Why on earth are people getting offended by that? What he's saying is common sense. Brewers make their beer for people to enjoy, no matter how they go about doing it.
    dan027 and acevenom like this.
  36. steveh

steveh Advocate (705) Illinois Oct 8, 2003

Uh, ouch? :)
  37. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Savant (350) Virginia Jun 21, 2009

I also don't think there's a single definition people are using for "balanced".

My view of balanced deals specifically with the bu:gu ratio, so I'd never consider heady or pliny as balanced beers (by design).
  38. LambicKing

LambicKing Advocate (650) Florida Apr 13, 2011

But we know that's brandy, not beer. :p
  39. BB1313

BB1313 Advocate (685) Ohio Jul 16, 2009

To each their own, it's all subjective. I was just saying they've never brewed an IPA that has been universally praised.
    kwakwhore, Skunkdrool and Cvescalante like this.
  40. atomic

atomic Savant (415) Illinois Sep 22, 2009

I don't think he said Heady specifically, but the entire style as a whole. I agree. While I love heady and pliny, theyre not exactly interesting. I had a palate wrecker for the first time last week, I loved it, but was it interesting? Was the experience new to me? No. Like I said, I loved it, I'll drink more, but it wasn't something new to me. Does any of this make the examples I listed any worse? No obviously not. But Jim's point isn't that they're bad, its that theres only so much deviation you can get when the focus is just hops hops hops. And he's right that after a while, the super bitter hop bombs lose their appeal and you start looking for balance. Everything he said is spot on.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.