JL Beers franchise coming to north Minneapolis

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by StarRanger, Jul 10, 2013.

1. jkwikkel and Chaz like this.
  2. awesome! now they just need to come to st paul!

joelwlcx likes this.
  3. deadbody

deadbody Savant (340) Minnesota May 10, 2010

Love this place in Fargo Moorhead. Was a godsend when I was in the forsaken hellhole of Grand Forks. I will go to North Minneapolis to eat here.

GFG likes this.
  4. jarrgal

jarrgal Savant (470) North Dakota Mar 12, 2012

I wonder what breweries they'll feature at this new location. Pretty standard lineup here in ND given the limited distribution. I'm sure they'll attempt to be competitive with the other great beer bars in the Twin Cities.

Really hoping Surly expands into ND as rumored in the "How far will a production increase to 100,000 of Surly barrels go?" thread. That would almost guarantee Surly on tap at the JL locations here. Would also be nice to eventually see Surly on tap at the JL in Moorhead. I feel a little awkward enjoying a pint every so often at Atomic Coffee, although I think Surly has some deal worked out with them.

It's worth mentioning they have an app available on both Android and iOS displaying the beers they currently have on tap. As you can probably infer, the app is very useful. In my experiences, the app is more accurate than the beer menus at JL.

5. GFG

GFG Savant (295) North Dakota Oct 24, 2012

I really think JL will be a hit in the Twin Cities. There will probably be some places down there with better beer selections, but it seems that it's the burgers + the beer selection that keep people going back to JL Beers.

Fargrow likes this.
  6. If JL beers built their establishments a little more open and less cramped I'd be a fan, until that happens ill keep going elsewhere.

7. GFG

That's one thing I don't like as well.

8. Michael_Evans_7

Michael_Evans_7 Initiate (5) Feb 3, 2014

The location is in Northeast Minneapolis on University Ave! Awesome spot! 24 Univerity Ave NE just north of Keegan's Irish Pub! Opening mid-end of March! Cheers!

9. mnbearsfan

mnbearsfan Savant (425) Minnesota Dec 25, 2009

Correct me if I am wrong, but that seems like an odd spot to put another "beer bar" New Bohemia is next door. **Do not take this as an advertisement for NB, I have never stepped foot in there. Nor do I plan to.

10. The one here in Sioux Falls has good food. BUT, you pay out of the ass for the beer. Beers here are prices 3-4 dollars above the prices that other bars here in town carry them. Burger prices are great, but it's a very in and out mentality. Do not go there thinking to enjoy a burger and multiple beers and b.s. with friends. Not enough room and not enough time for the way they run their places.

11. hoeg0015

hoeg0015 Savant (340) Minnesota Jul 15, 2008

not to mention that the twin cities burger market is already pretty crowded. tough to really separate yourself there

12. deadbody

I didn't think their beer prices were unreasonable when I was at the one in Fargo, or Grand Forks, or Moorhead.

Not cheap, but not overpriced. And the burgers are cheap and good. Is it a place you want to sit for hours? not really, but I don't feel like cattle being herded in and out either, it just is a bit louder.

13. Seefeldt

Seefeldt Savant (345) Minnesota May 15, 2008

Why?

monkeysort likes this.
  14. If they operate with this model in NE Minneapolis, they won't survive long.

15. Prices in Fargo are not that out of line, maybe $1 or a bit more over some other places if that.
    They are opening their 4th location in the Fargo/Moorhead area tomorrow and another franchise is slated to open in Minot, ND later this year.

My wife took me to one for lunch today so I made note of the prices - Hopslam $7.25 for 10oz in a Hopslam glass, Two Hearted $6.25 for a pint, $7.25 for a tall and $18.75 for a growler (they can fill in ND), Summit Saga $5.25/$6.25/$15.75, Green Flash Palate Wrecker $6.50 10oz, Deschutes Black Butte $4.50/$5.50/$13.50.

They complaint I hear most about them locally is that they don't give out water for free. If you want water you have to buy a bottle. Their whole layout is not condusive to spending the afternoon or whole evening like you can in a sports bar. A line of people waiting for seats can make it seem like you are being rushed out but I've left when I feel like it and met some nice people sharing tables with people I didn't know.

Chaz likes this.
  16. jkwikkel

jkwikkel Aficionado (245) Iowa Mar 18, 2008

I usually have one with my burger at JL, then go across the street to Bros for 2fers.

17. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (750) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

You have to buy a bottle of water? Seriously? I always have water with a meal even if I have beers also. That is just one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. That glass of tap water can be awfully expensive!

18. I think charging for water might be illegal in MN restaurants. Not 100% sure, but it sounds familiar.

Chaz likes this.
  19. GFG

That's my biggest gripe about JL Beers. That and their beer prices are usually about $2 higher than the other places in Grand Forks.

20. I'm also curious about why.

21. If you're smart though, you ask for a empty pint glass and run to the bathroom. Ingenuity.

22. sacrelicio

sacrelicio Initiate (0) Minnesota Feb 15, 2005

Maybe it's how they are set up...since they're not really a bar (more of a burger place with tap beers) they might not have a water tap or "gun" and instead have a cooler full of bottled water.

23. jera1350

jera1350 Champion (750) Minnesota Dec 15, 2007

But if you're only moderately smart, you might come back with a glass of toilet water.

BeerGoogler, Chaz and maximum12 like this.
  24. maximum12

maximum12 Champion (755) Minnesota Jan 21, 2008

Not only that, but I'd be wary of filling my glass with water from a public restroom. I'm not squeamish but...eww.

BeerGoogler and mnbearsfan like this.
  25. I feel like this is a staples mill joke somehow.

26. Chaz

Chaz Champion (845) Minnesota Feb 3, 2002

A bump to note: J.L. Beers opens -down the block from Keegans and New Bohemia- on April 23.

27. Huh, interesting that it is 21+. Fast casual doesn't strike me as a concept that demands this. I'm sure others will like them for this, but I'll be there less often. Oh well.

28. Seriously, ever seen the video of dispersion after a toilet flush? I've never kept my toothbrush anywhere but in a sealed container in a drawer at home after that...would never consider consuming anything that was in the room. Ish.

29. The layout of their locations is not really family friendly. They use the tagline, Seating for 1000, 32 at a time. In their older locations, more than half of the seating was at the bar itself. Their newest location in South Fargo which opened earlier this year did have an expanded seating area with more tables compared to their other locations but still isn't family friendly. For a while Fargo did not have any good beer places where we could bring the kids too but they are there now and I do admit that JL Beers is a common spot I go with my wife when we get someone else to take care of the kids for a while.

30. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

This does not sound like a good recipe for success considering the location they picked...

31. henderan

henderan Aficionado (150) Minnesota Nov 21, 2007

Jl beers in Sioux falls is excellent. Great burgers and prices are low. Absolutely zero complaints

32. Tyecko

Tyecko Savant (295) Minnesota Mar 19, 2014

I lived in Fargo for years for school, and loved JL Beers. Great selection, food is excellent, cheap and fresh, and the staff was friendly. I for one am very excited about the Twin Cities expansion

33. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Advocate (535) Minnesota Jun 25, 2013

Idk.. I was skeptical that they would make it in the Twin Cities (being from Fargo originally), but I think this might be a good model in that location. That area needs another good beer spot in addition to New Bohemia. The Twin Cities has a lot of good places with limited seating that people still love. It just might work.

34. That's funny, I thought the opposite: with NB, Pracna, Mac's, Bulldog, and Ray J's right there maybe things are a little crowded?

FurnaceCowgirl and SipIt like this.
  35. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Advocate (535) Minnesota Jun 25, 2013

Yeah fair enough. I guess in my mind I separate that part of NE from St. Anthony main. Which I know makes no sense, but a lot of times it's like St. Anthony Main or a different part of NE. It could just be partially because I hate that irish bar there and feel like that street would benefit from having a good bar next to the irish one.

McRyan likes this.
  36. SipIt

SipIt Aficionado (205) Minnesota Jul 18, 2013

I'll check it out. I'm not expecting it to beat a bunch of the excellent burger places that already exist in the cities, but hey, put a nice slab of beef on a bun and I won't complain much. Add in a few decent beers and I might stop by from time to time.

37. ZAP

ZAP Advocate (735) Minnesota Dec 1, 2001

Not a huge fan of how they cook them.....speed cook them somehow in a couple minutes...they are ok but there are many better burgers imho

McRyan and SipIt like this.
  38. If there's one thing this town is good at it's cooking hamburgers.

mjryan, Chaz and McRyan like this.
  39. deadbody

Like others have said, it won't compare to the good burger places around here, it is closer to a better culvers with beer. The burgers are fast, the toppings are good, the fries and chips are fresh, but it isn't high end burger.

But a burger and a beer you can get out for less than $15 with tip really easily at the ones I've been to, so it's quick and inexpensive with good beer.

SipIt likes this.
  40. McRyan

McRyan Savant (255) Minnesota Jul 25, 2012

This place sounds way more suited for the burbs. Plymouth or Woodbury.