1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Jockey box - looking at making one...some advice

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by atomeyes, Nov 7, 2012.

1. atomeyes

atomeyes Member

heya,
    looking at making a jockey box. I watched the youtube tutorial on using Yeti coolers. anyone have any stories they want to share about making a good one with a cheaper cooler?

any spec suggestions if I'm looking at cooling 1 tap at a time?

let me know and thanks!
  2. dcsoke

dcsoke Initiate

Go with a basic, cheap cooler that has sturdy plastic sides. Spend the money you save on decent taps.
  3. billandsuz

billandsuz Member

making a jockey box is not the most difficult project in the worl of draft beer. all of the parts and instructions are available at micromatic. search this forum as well.

a few things to consider;
    a jockey box is not a replacement for a kegerator.
    a jockey box does one thing well and that's it.
    they are expensive. unless you have a party every month you should rent a jockey box.
    if cost is your concern, the cooler is the least of your problems. the stainless coil is where the money is at and really what makes the thing work.

very few people actually need to own a jockey box, and we usually find that the ones who do know quite a bit about what they do.
    Cheers.
  4. atomeyes

atomeyes Member

so what options does one have if they need to chill irregularly-tapped kegs for in-house parties or parties at friends' homes?
  5. daryk77

daryk77 Member

If you have no way to keep the keg cold then a jockey box can be useful. However, if you can keep a keg cold then a more conventional set-up (C02 with a picnic tap) should work just fine. Something to keep in mind is that you can build a kegerator set-up (including fridge) around the same price or cheaper than getting a jockeybox set-up.

It sounds like you kegs are stored at room temp and only chilled down when being served?

Edit: back to your original question, I have not built jockey boxes (so no help there) but I have used them extensively.
  6. atomeyes

atomeyes Member

just bought kegs a month ago. will use them for special events, but not for household drinking. so a kegerator isn't what i think i want.
  7. daryk77

daryk77 Member

Just out of curiosity will these kegs be consumed in one night or do you plan on drinking part of them and saving the rest for later? Are these kegs of homebrew or commercial kegs?
  8. atomeyes

atomeyes Member

homebrew kegs to be consumed in 1-2 nights. need something to chill the beer, since i can't fit a keg in a fridge. its not as much of a problem in the winter, when i can store them outside until its time to tap them (and they should remain relatively cool/cold for the night).