1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

John Laffler is leaving Goose Island to start Off Color Brewing

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by jdhende, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BreakingBad

BreakingBad Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2012

hyvee by far has the best prices in town
  2. Oh man, I threw up when I red the part in bold.
    BreakingBad likes this.
  3. ChadQuest

ChadQuest Initiate (0) Illinois Mar 4, 2009

Sounds like you got quite a few. What were the limits at the lundeens stores?
  4. BreakingBad

I got 1 from lundeen's. You are allowed 1 for both stores. Adam cross refference the sycamore and dekalb stores and make sure people aren't on the list twice. The one I got Adam held back for me cause I threw him a darkness a couple weeks ago. I missed the hyvee and sycamore releases
  5. ChadQuest

DKB/SYC sucks now, as does chicago. Even in a small-ish town i can't nail a bottle of Rye. Even a year ago i walked in and got KH like it was nothing. Way to many people doing this now.
  6. BreakingBad

yeah craft beer has exploded. I have a feeling all these mules are going to die down though. If you notice there are barley any ebay sales, and craiglist you see the same posts over and over. Eventually people will learn that a 22oz bomber of beer isn't worth $100
  7. Bro, there is barely any barley in GI.....know what I mean Bro?
  8. Reinbeck11

Reinbeck11 Savant (270) Iowa Aug 15, 2012

I work for a Mega corp., now we don't necessarily create products (retail), but we have new people come in, create programs or rearrange systems, then see them get promoted or take jobs elsewhere then the new thing they were so accredited for just disappears or is wiped out. Happens all the time.

Or just look at the example of Becks. Yep their making more money on the product, but the product is going downhill and my guess is it will soon be an afterthought. Does the individual who started those wheels in motion care, NO, hes already moved on to show his genius with the next project.

Now I don't believe these people are complete idiots. For instance my guess would be cutting cost and lowering quality at GI are not the best option for profitability right now. Focusing on product quality, increasing production, and driving new products to wider markets would seem to make more sense to take advantage of current market conditions, but they'd cut the throat out of the product in a second if it made more sense for them.
  9. Rempo

Rempo Initiate (0) Indiana Jan 18, 2010

We know he's your alt, bro.
  10. Going by BB's definition, I think you can chalk that up to karma.

Also, for anyone that does want to maintain the illusion of different people behind different social media accounts, may I suggest making sure you don't make the same tell-tale typo?
    Lansman, GreenCoffee, Bay01 and 3 others like this.
  11. ChadQuest

haha, no. Srsly. As i told my tasting group, if iw as dumb enough to start a fake account based in my own town using ties to my own name i would have to take my own life with a sword to restore my family's honor.
    MarkIntihar, MarcatGSB and Rempo like this.
  12. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

having recently gone through a merger/acquisition where successful lines of business were axed i'm "worried" about the future of the products we've come to know and love.

i happen to work in, what at the time of purchase, was the only profitable wing of the business (at least until recently now that things have started to tick back up) and the guillotine hung over our heads for a year because the new company wanted to do things differently. one never knows what's to come after an acquisiton. it's all on the table. assume nothing, positive or negative.
  13. PlayaPlaya

PlayaPlaya Savant (270) Illinois Sep 19, 2012

Speak for yourself.....I've gotten all the Cherry and coffee BCBS I could ever possibly drink in DEKALB. Not to mention the 3 cases of regular BCBS I grabbed earlier this year.

Just gave away 8 bottles of coffee to a fellow BA at retail price.

Honestly, I acquired TOO much BCBS this year.....

Just have to know where to look....I would never give lundeens a red cent...They price gouge hard for one. Hyvee is better but not the hookup.

Good luck :D

And no I'm not giving away anymore, dont ask....Trading ammo it is :D

CHEERS!
  14. TMoney2591

TMoney2591 Champion (895) Illinois Apr 21, 2009

How are you "giving bottles away" when you sell them...?

Oh, and insert obligatory "coolstorybro" meme-thingy here.
    Etan likes this.
  15. PlayaPlaya

Just meant that I acquired enough that I didnt feel the need to price gouge like a TON of other people, so I "gave" them away at retail....I certainly could have made a lot more and would no longer call it giving...But since I didnt make any money on them, I consider that "giving them away".

EDIT: Just kinda irks me to see people sayin the stuff wasnt around....It was, you just didn't make a great enough effort to get it. Try harder.
    Get out what you put in.
  16. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

give verb \ˈgiv\

to make a present of
    Treebs and exitmusic00 like this.
  17. exitmusic00

exitmusic00 Savant (265) Oregon Mar 15, 2010

It irks me that you bought >8 bottles of BCBCS rather than leaving some for others, and now you're congratulating yourself for selling 8 bottles to one person...again leaving potentially 7 other BAs empty-handed. Stop trying.
    da_bulls and WillCarrera like this.
  18. Steimie

Steimie Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 7, 2012

FTFY

Seriously. What you did was not cool and I think you know it. It certainly isn't advocacy to hoard this. You can try and minimize it by saying you "gave it away." But you hoarded it and you know it.

Why you'd come here and brag about this is beyond me.
    davey101 and robinsmv like this.
  19. mdomask

mdomask Savant (310) Illinois May 27, 2012

Because it successfully trolls people like us, apparently.

Yes, I'm guilty of feeding it too :(
    exitmusic00, Bay01 and Steimie like this.
  20. Steimie

Touche'
  21. ChadQuest

Thanks?

oh, you are so generous. :rolleyes: Extra a box with 2x BCS Vanillas and 2x BCS Rares, asking nothing in return, then you can brag.

Sorry, i have 2 jobs and other things going on, i physically checked 8 stores, and got nothing. next time i'll quit my jobs and devote a week to checking more then 8 stores in an attempt to beat people like you.

Thanks, you've been a super big help today. thanks for making the beer scene in Dekalb sooooooo good. i am soooooo happy i have people like you in my area.

DEAR WORLD. THIS GUY IS AN AVERAGE EXAMPLE OF WHY CHICAGO SUCKS ASS NOW, AND WHY MOST OF US STILL CANT GET 10,000 BOTTLE RELEASES.

Sep 19, 2012 join date. of course.
  22. Khazadum

Khazadum Savant (395) Illinois Apr 29, 2010

Preach it.
  23. jimmy666

jimmy666 Aficionado (230) Maryland Jun 20, 2010

don't hate yo :)
  24. CONGRATS! I got you an award!
    [​IMG]
  25. PlayaPlaya

Chad, for the record....Hyvee did not sell out in less than 2 hours, cherry was there for a little while, and I did indeed leave a few bottles behind for somebody else to enjoy. I even specifically told the people behind the counter to hold one for my buddy chad on a quest, they immediately grabbed one and held it to each of their chests like it was there first born, they promised me "I, Hyvee employee #____, will forever hold this bottle of Bourbon County Cherry Rye until Chad, who happens to be on a quest, walks into our store; we will then place it in his hands with great smiles and implore him to enjoy it more than any beer has been enjoyed before"

But, I guess they didn't?
    I don't know what to tell you man, I tried my best for you. I guess as the saying goes, you cant trust people with BCBS in 2012(or somethin like that).
  26. also. sorry, but my "english" is bad. what is the difference between giving them away and "giving them away"
    WillCarrera likes this.
  27. ChadQuest

Cool, whatever, i'll keep drinking white whales with a bunch of really awesome friends from around the country that i met by not being an dick, and you can keep drinking shelf beers alone.

As much as i get worked up by not nabbing the latest rare BCS variation, i get calmed down by knowing i have cool people to drink the beers i do have with, and a whole cellar with hundreds of rare beers that you wish you had.

Love,
    Chad
    Mjmoser, davey101, libbey and 6 others like this.
  28. So people buy the BCBS variants up in Chicago and then sell them back to people in Chicago at above retail prices? And selling them back at retail is some fine beer advocate act of kindness? Holy crap.
    JRBecks and ChadQuest like this.
  29. ChadQuest

You know the three tier distro system? We have 17 tiers.

Love,
    Chad
  30. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Chicago politics for ya.
  31. Sooo.... Off Color Brewing... Cool, right?
  32. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Champion (790) New York Dec 13, 2009

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. one of these days some people will start to "get it" - that it is not about getting as much beer as you can so that it can gain dust in your cellar...cough...closet, but instead, it is all about meeting people, being cool, and SHARING beer. chad hit it right on the nose. don't be a douche and be part of the community and before you know it, you'll be ticking off your biggest wants by just hanging out with your friends.
  33. TMoney2591

Hey, I had nowhere else to put my stuff... *sniffle*
    cosmicevan likes this.
  34. Steimie

You know it's just beer, right?

Also, I've never been so glad that I don't know some one personally. You seem like a rather awful person.
    Mjmoser, davey101, JoEBoBpr and 2 others like this.
  35. foobula

foobula Savant (330) Illinois Dec 14, 2009

I think there's something to be said for the satisfaction that comes from putting the necessary work into a whale hunt and getting what you sought. It's a good feeling. But it is more satisfying to share the fruits of your labor than to drink them alone. And gloating just to stick it to everyone is stupid.

It's kind of funny to consider buying something at a store to be fruits of my labor. I didn't brew the beer, grow the ingredients, make the bottles or bottlecaps or boxes, or even distribute it. I just made a bunch of calls, stood outside for a few hours, forked over some cash. BFD.
    libbey and Steimie like this.
  36. BeerNDoggerel

BeerNDoggerel Savant (330) Illinois Mar 13, 2011

The greater Chicago area (i.e., from New Glarus to 3 Floyds) will soon be the toast of Craft Beer nation. Chicago rising.
  37. what is the difference between: buying beer for your ba friends at cost; and goandpickitupformebro, the braying call of which came wafting to our sweet shores over the past year?

i've resold beers to my tasting group if they were shut out. what, exactly, is the problem?
    GrumpyOldTroll and redblacks75 like this.
  38. TMoney2591

It was his way of passing the act off as one of charity or something along those lines. No problem with picking up bottles for a buddy and being compensated afterward, but it sounded like he offered to sell his excess to his friends (who didn't necessarily ask him to pick up the extras) and called it "giving them away". Das ist alles.
  39. that's a completely minor nitpick. i've said phrases like "gave it away at cost" and not thought twice about it.

i agree it's not an act of charity, but i'm surprised (well, not really) that some of the same faces asking for goandpickitupformebro or agreeing that there shouldn't be limits on beer at stores find this act repugnant. if chadquest were the guy receiving one of the extra bottles at cost, he wouldn't be so outraged.

and don't forget... people buying extra bottles to share / trade contribute to the scarcity problem. where does the ammo for trading come from? tastings aren't all low-impact kumbaya.

simple fact, there aren't enough bottles to go around anymore.
  40. TMoney2591

I'll admit, it may just be from my prior reactions to the poster's other comments, which just smack of not-so-humble humblebragging and dick-waving and nyah-nyah-ing and whatnot, so, sure, my comment may have been colored a bit. The presentation just rubbed me the wrong way.

Beyond that, I see your point, though I feel everything is fine so long as moderation (an admittedly subjective measure here) is observed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.