1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Jolly pumpkin grand reserve?

Discussion in 'US - Great Lakes' started by jb123, Jan 25, 2013.

1. jb123

jb123 Savant (470) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

I don't see alot of talk in here about this beer. It got me into craft beer and I've since grown to just about all other styles but this remains around the top. Anyways I happene to be there or their la roja grand reserve release and bought a couple 11.4 oz bottles for 12 dollars( at the time I thought I was nuts) wondering if there is any talks for another grand reserve ?
  2. Luciernaga, Biere De Mars, and LaRoja are the only beers they have done in the GR format. They don't have specific release dates for these beers, they just put them out. I would suggest following them on facebook or twitter as that's how they have announced the last couple that I know of.
  3. What makes the jolly pumpkin beer a "grand reserve" format beer? I have high interest in these grand reserve beers as well and I would like to know any information about them.
  4. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

IIRC they are blended from barrels that are at least 1 year old (They're just aged longer). In my experience with La Roja GR its more sour and dryer on the finish. VERY GOOD!
  5. Cool thanks for the information! Sounds like a good sour to me!
  6. jb123

jb123 Savant (470) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

Ok thanks ya I follow them on twitter so that'll work. Yea the GR are even more AMAZIN than the regular. I have a bottle of the 2012 la roja grand reserve ill open on the year bottling anniversary!
  7. beerhan

beerhan Savant (395) Ohio Apr 28, 2010

anyone in Ann Arbor hear anything about another biere de mars grand reserve release? This one is my favorite beer they made second only to the standard version...but it has been nearly two years since the last release and I was really hoping for more.
    pest likes this.
  8. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

Shit, I'm still pissed that the regular BdM never hit Chicago last year. I'd be happy just to have a couple of those right now. Definitely one of my favorite JP's.
  9. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

Here's all their special releases:

• La Roja Grand Reserve: this beer is often a blend of older batches of La Roja that have been aged additionally in bourbon or wine barrels. There have been four releases.
      • First release: aged 12 months. The only oval Label 12oz bottle came with a white neck label in black print.
      • Second release: aged 18 months. Square Label 12oz bottle with a gold neck label with black writing.
      • Third release: aged 24 months. Square Label 12oz bottle with black foil covering the cap and neck, with a gold neck label in black print over the black foil.
      • Fourth release: aged 32 months. Square Label 12oz bottle with a gold neck label that stated the age.
    • La Roja Krieked: A version of this beer aged with cherries was offered at the 2008 Michigan Brewers Guild Festival.
    • Bière De Mars Grand Reserve: There have been two releases of this beer. The first was aged for 14 months in bourbon barrels. The second batch (#65) was aged for 27 months in bourbon barrels.
    • Luciérnaga Grand Reserve: There have been two releases of this beer. The first was aged for 14 months in bourbon barrels and released in 2004.
    • Oro De Calabaza Grand Reserve: this is known as Perseguidor Batch 2.
    • Madrugada Obscura Grand Reserve: This was barrel aged for 18 months. It was offered only on draft at the First Annual Stone Sour Fest in July 2007 and was a special tap at the 2008 Michigan Brewers Guild Festival.
    • Perseguidor ("Pursuer"): A limited-release, custom-blended ale which is oak-aged an additional six months before release. There have been five releases.
      • Batch 1 (7.2% abv): A blend of Bam Biere and La Roja. This batch was offered at the 2006 Michigan Brewers Guild Festival and released during the fall of 2006 in 750mL and 12oz Bottles printed with a matte paper label.
      • Batch 2 (8% abv): Also known as "Oro de Calabaza Reserve," this batch was a blend of Oro de Calabaza and Bam Biere.This batch was only offered on draft at the First Annual Stone Sour Fest in July 2007.
      • Batch 3 (abv unknown): This was offered at the 2008 Michigan Brewers Guild Festival and released in 750mL Bottles in early August 2008.
      • Batch 4: released January 2009. A blend of 3-year-old La Roja, 3-year-old Madrugada Obscura and 1-year-old Noel de Calabaza. Conditioned for 6 months in 12-ounce bottles.
      • Batch 5: released January 17, 2010. A blend of La Roja Grand Reserve, Luciernaga Grand Reserve, and Bam Biere Grand Reserve. Blend was aged on oak for 6 months and then bottle-conditioned for 6 months. Packaged in 12-ounce bottles. 480 bottles were produced.
    • Lambicus Dexterius, a lambic

I'll definitely be making the trip if/when they announce a new Grand Reserve release. I just worked out a trade for a '12 La Roja GR and I'm thrilled.
    Tnudish, Zaphog, tinypyramids and 3 others like this.
  10. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Savant (325) Illinois Dec 31, 2010

I got a couple of the most recent La Roja GR release. I had no idea that batch was aged so long. This makes me very excited.
  11. Envelopes

Just noticed there was a Perseguidor every year from '06-'10 but hasn't been one the last two years. Wonder if a batch 6 will happen?
  12. They have made Spring Sour the last couple of years, which is a blend of 5 different beers. Probably the closest thing to Perseguidor they have made in awhile. Very tasty.
    Envelopes likes this.
  13. Envelopes

Ah cool, thanks. Didn't know about that one. Nice that they seem to do growler fills of it, too.
  14. lurchingbeast

lurchingbeast Initiate (0) Illinois Feb 19, 2009

They said in late 2011 that they didn't feel anything they had was "Perseguidor worthy".
    Envelopes likes this.
  15. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Tennessee Mar 31, 2006

Just curious where you got this list and if it is 100% accurate...

I have a La Roja Grand Reserve given to me recently by a BA that has an oval label with the gold neck / black writing 18 months aged.

Does anyone else have one of these?
  16. Envelopes

Wikipedia. There are sources for a lot of them but not for any of the La Roja.
  17. I want perseguidor 6! Funny story, I was at the Ann Arbor pub and told the bartender I was going to a show that night. Later I asked him if he heard anything about perseguidor 6? And he asked me if that was a band I was seeing that night? Haha.
  18. This is not 100% complete. There are many releases on here that are missing.
    Envelopes likes this.
  19. Envelopes

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't have said "all their special releases". The list definitely doesn't cover all the one-offs but I figured it was helpful enough for a thread specifically about Grand Reserves.
  20. [​IMG]

Only including Grand Reserves, the list does not include any of the newer grand reserve releases that have been released in the small stubby 11.2 oz bottles. Specifically, the last 2 batches of Biere de Mars Grand Reserva and and 2 batches of Roja Grand Reserva. It aslo doesnt include one of the older batches of Biere de Mars Grand Reserva and one of the Luciernaga Grand Reservas, both shown above.
    Tnudish, Zaphog, WeisGuy and 2 others like this.

21. Very nice! Thanks for all the information! This is solid!
  22. tinypyramids

tinypyramids Savant (445) Illinois Jul 19, 2012

seriously, this. i looked everywhere and came up with nothing. it's the only JP regular release i haven't had, and from what i've heard it's either their best or comes close.
    mbockstruck30 likes this.
  23. cmoody91

cmoody91 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

From talking to some guys from Binny's it sounds like we will be seeing less and less of JP in Chicagoland. Sounds like they recently switched distributors and supply has slowed down to a trickle...
  24. Actually, the issue has been on the JP side. They are in the process of expanding and moving some production to a new facility. Once that happens, there will be more beer available, but it will take some time for everything to come on line.
  25. steebo777

steebo777 Advocate (535) Michigan Jun 30, 2009

It's the best regular release IMO, and I thought this year's was the best it has ever tasted.

Can't wait for the JP move to finish in Dexter so they can focus on the Royal Oak Pub.
    mbockstruck30 and JohnB87 like this.
  26. cmoody91

cmoody91 Savant (310) Illinois Mar 21, 2010

Good to know. Thanks for the full story.
  27. Envelopes

I emailed Ron and he said they are hoping to have another Perseguidor at the end of the year and a Bier de Mars Grand Reserve this spring!
    lurchingbeast likes this.
  28. lurchingbeast

Planning it in my head already; hoping Perseguidor is not the same day as FoBAB or the same weekend as 4Elf....
  29. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Whaaaat!? Day after 4 Elf would be a marvelous turn of events... Eccentric, 4 Elf, JP Reserve release is an epic beer weekend for MI... You know this!
    JohnB87 likes this.
  30. lurchingbeast

If it was the same weekend, do you have any idea how many other Chicagoans would be there?!
    JohnB87 likes this.
  31. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Michigan Jan 8, 2011

Touche!
    JohnB87 likes this.
  32. Jose2412

Jose2412 Aficionado (240) Michigan Feb 25, 2012

Thats why you go up to Mission Point. I went for LR Grand Reserve and we walked in, no line, sat down, asked for our bottles to be set aside, had lunch and walked out without issue
  33. VladTepes

VladTepes Aficionado (160) Finland Oct 18, 2012

I asked also another topic, but have you guys any info why that regular BdM is more limited than others?