1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Just bragging!

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by searsclone, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. searsclone

searsclone Savant (305) Arizona Sep 7, 2006

I was lucky enough to get a 6 pack of Westvleteren 12. Also, I think it's crazy to try to get rich off of selling it on the 'net. So, I did some trading. I traded 1 Westy for 2 extremely fresh(bottled this month) Pliny the elders. Then, I sold 2 Westys and 1 glass for some $$. I immediately took the $$ into the store and purchased:

750 ml:
    Unibrou Terrible (x2)
    Lost Abbey Gift of the Magi
    Sierra Nevada Ovila colabaration
    Uinta Cockeyed Cooper.

12oz:
    Unibrou Maudite, Blanche de Chambly, Don de Dieu, and Trois Pistoles
    Atomium Premier Grand Cru

I ended up with about another $10 USD out of pocket. I think that I did very well, and I think I treated my traders fairly. Any thoughts?
  2. beergoot

beergoot Advocate (520) Colorado Oct 11, 2010

Trading and selling is a two-way street. It would appear that all parties involved were agreeable to things, so, yes...good job on spreading the wealth and getting additional good brews for you own enjoyment.
    yojimbo1 likes this.
  3. dujayhawk

dujayhawk Aficionado (125) Kansas Aug 8, 2011

Would you like a cookie or a small parade?
  4. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,035) Washington Sep 24, 2007

I'm just here to piss in your Wheaties.
    Jnorton00 likes this.
  5. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I guess two Pliny's for one XII seems fair $4$.
  6. Avangion

Avangion Aficionado (110) New York Dec 14, 2012

Well those aren't that hard to get, right? Or are they where you are? Anyway if you're happy, I'm happy for you. I also got a brick or two and can't decide what to do with the other glasses I don't want and whether I should keep the cardboard boxes. Thoughts?

Fresh Pliny sounds so niiice
  7. searsclone

can I get a cookie while I watch my small parade? Also, I found no value in the box. The beers I purchased are not hard to get, I just feel like 2 bottles and 1 glass for everything was a good thing!
  8. "Then, I sold 2 Westys and 1 glass for some $$."

The monks that carefully crafted that beer have been very clear about how no one should make a profit on it. You did. As far as I understand they take the money they make off of it to keep the monastery and brewery going. Any surplus is given to charitable endeavors. You took the profit and bought more beer.

You're not the first, nor the last to make money off of Westy. Sure you didn't make big bucks off of it on ebay, but you did make some money on it nonetheless. You asked for feedback, so here it is: Take the money you made (or the equivalent, seeing that you seemingly already spent it on more beer) and donate it to charity. Anything short of that and you fucked up in my book.
  9. Is this the generous form of winning trades?
  10. shuajw

shuajw Savant (485) Georgia Aug 12, 2007

You should start a blog!
  11. bum732

bum732 Advocate (630) Lesotho Feb 18, 2008

" Also, I think it's crazy to try to get rich off of selling it on the 'net."

"Then, I sold 2 Westys and 1 glass for some $$"

wut.
  12. searsclone

I appreciate it, Providence. I sold the 2 bottles and the glass for a bit of a markup. I was offered $65 for the bottles and glass. "Some money" over the purchase price, yes. If we consider time on money, fuel, and all that BS, then probably no money made. Regardless, I don't need any bad beer karma, so I think a charity donation is probably a good idea. But,do you think that if I would have done a direct trade, they would be ok with it?
  13. searsclone

bum732. I sold for slightly more than I paid. $100 a bottle is wuts crazy!
  14. Avangion

I think this is a valid point, but you're being awfully hard on him. If the monks really wanted to prevent resellers from profiting off their product, there is a simple solution. Nobody makes double their investment on Chimay. I realize the monks are trying to stay "pure," but they're also having it both ways by participating in a market economy. And in market economies, scarcity means demand means higher prices. You can yell all you want at individuals who do it, but it's not going to stop it, and this guy is at least a member of our community so deserves some cordiality even if you don't like what he did, right? You may all now dogpile on me, too.
  15. So you took a 6 pack of Westvleteren and bartered it for a bunch of mostly year round shelf beer?

Why are you bragging?
  16. searsclone

I guess bragging because, the Westy is great, but not an "everyday" beer in my opinion. So, I took something extraordinary and turned it into much more "everyday".
  17. Let me know when you get your hands on a bunch of Cantillon. Cheers.
    codysjb likes this.
  18. These are monks dude, monks. They aren't corporate execs at Inbev. They do good work in the community and just so happen to have the wonderful ability to make a great beer that they in turn sell, in order to maintain their positive community influence. I think that should be respected and given cordiality more than some guy who happened to sign up for a beer website I signed up for too.
  19. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Initiate (0) California Nov 26, 2008

Me too! I turned French Laundry into a bowel movement. Nbd.
  20. searsclone

gross
  21. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Am I the only one wondering whether this guy is serious or not?
    JohnB87, yamar68, codysjb and 2 others like this.
  22. Avangion

Yeah fine, but don't you think you'll have a better chance of getting your point across by not jumping down the poor guy's throat? It's not like I disagree with you. But West 12 has so much hype behind it, it's hard to resist. I can imagine many people willing to pay someone to try it since getting it themselves is very hard. Every bottle I've ever had before this whole brick thing, other than gifts, was obtained from the grey market. I never paid more than cost, or slightly more, because the last time was 10 years ago, but does that also mean I fucked up? Or just the people who sold it to me? People offering to shell out a hundred bucks a bottle certainly adds to price and hype inflation, but if I paid $20 or whatever it was, you could say it had a small effect. Anyway, it's not like the monks are being deprived of anything. They're still selling everything they make, and I'm sure the resell market makes that possible to a considerable extent, but I'm just making conversation.
  23. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

Did you buy any rare aged cheddar or artisan Gouda? Get stuck in the mud on the way to the store? Oh, nvm, you just remind me of someone I knew of once.

Also, I really am happy for you but when you sat down and thought to yourself "hey, I should tell all of BA about this!" exactly what were you hoping to accomplish?

One time I went into a store and bought some beer with a $20 I found in the parking lot.....true story.
  24. searsclone

Providence and Avangion are 2 people that I would like to sit and have beers with! Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
  25. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Savant (480) Indiana Jan 4, 2012

I cheered, but it wasn't a standing ovation.
    Bluecane likes this.
  26. Avangion

Come on over! I'm drinking right now! Bring the Plinys...
    franklinn and cfh64 like this.
  27. cfh64

cfh64 Advocate (635) Texas Aug 16, 2005

Mordor, Arbitrator, and ASUBeer are three people I'd like to sit and have beers with but you're invited as well :)
  28. wingedeel

wingedeel Savant (370) Indiana Nov 17, 2005

I am having more and more difficulty separating the trolls from the wack jobs.
  29. Worst thread ever!!
  30. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Connecticut Apr 14, 2009

Thread of the year!
  31. I can't believe I clicked on this horseshit...
  32. Anonymous1

Anonymous1 Savant (420) Illinois Mar 19, 2012

Can I have your autograph?
  33. searsclone

my favorite part of this is the avatars. Maiden, Pantera, toothy apple pear thing, crazy dog, the dude, rubiks cat!
    cfh64 likes this.
  34. If you call my response jumping down someone's throat then you and I come from very different places.

Anyone who profits off of Westy without prior consent of the monks is a chump in my book. If that includes you, which it doesn't sound like it does, then I think you're a chump too.
    davey101 likes this.
  35. So what charity are you going to donate to?
  36. Avangion

Listen, buddy, I'm a chump FOR ENTIRELY DIFFERENT REASONS. I hope that settles the matter. For what it's worth, I think you're coming from a good place, but we probably disagree about the sanctity of the monks. I'm as glad as anyone else they make good beer, though. Can't imagine reselling it, personally, but mostly because that would require giving it up. Might trade it. If someone offered me $1000 for a brick and I happened to be starving, I wonder what the monks would say. Answer: nothing! They're Trappists! LOL! OK, I'm going out for more beer now. But this was fun.
    Kuemmelbrau and ASUBeer like this.
  37. So, what you're trying to say is that you won the trading game?

Bravo!
    GuisseppeFranco likes this.
  38. For the record, it's not because of the monks' religious affiliation that I aim to protect their wishes; it's because they do charitable work, which I believe to be very important.

Trading Westy is a different story. I don't have an issue with that. Although, like you, I don't think I'd be able to trade it away (assuming it is as tasty as people say).
  39. abecall98

abecall98 Advocate (530) California Aug 11, 2007

I am now sober reading this junk.
    libbey and cfh64 like this.
  40. searsclone

Trading Westy is a different story. I don't have an issue with that. Although, like you, I don't think I'd be able to trade it away (assuming it is as tasty as people say).[/quote]

Westy is a great beer, but I wanted to share it. I had 6, and most of my friends wouldn't appreciate it. I offered it for the Pliny, instead of just repaying the ten bucks that it cost.

Also, would trading for beers that have a higher price be considered making a profit?

My charities of choice are PBS, Sun Sounds, Ear Candy, and Goodwill
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.