1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Just finished my first Jai Alai...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Feb 8, 2013.

1. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

I know, I know, I usually hate making topics just for one opinion on one beer. But I try to keep it contained to beers that truly blow me away or completely pass expectations...

Anyway, it was goddamn delicious. I know a lot of people talk it up on here, but for some reason my expectations still weren't that high for it, but I was completely blown away by how great the aroma, taste, and drinkability were. I'm actually surprised the BA score is as low as it is (4.18, I think)... Still a damn good score, but WOW, this is a beer I certainly didn't see coming. And it sent my palate on an orgasmic ride of fruit and hops.

I'm starting to really like Cigar City. Shame they're way down there in Florida :(

2. I had my first tonight as well, my uncle makes frequent trips to FL and picked up a sixer of JA and Maduro. I have a feeling I'll be asking for more...

tectactoe likes this.
  3. mrcraft

mrcraft Advocate (715) California Dec 15, 2012

Cool. I'm getting mine tomorrow via UPS. I can't wait. I had Flower Power yesterday, that was good too. I'm sure I'll have Jai Alai with dinner tomorrow...

4. Find me some Kuhnhenn meads and I will send you as much CCB as you would like.

aasher and tectactoe like this.
  5. kirbmeist

kirbmeist Savant (350) Florida Mar 16, 2012

Saving up for you buddy. That jai alai is one juicy beverage and CCB is just crushing it right now.

tectactoe likes this.
  6. Stevedore

Stevedore Champion (855) Wisconsin Nov 16, 2012

I agree, it's a great tropical-feeling IPA- I feel like it's a perfect summer brew to drink when you're down in Florida. I had a bunch when I was down in Tampa over Christmas. I'd seriously consider relocating to Tampa if I had the opportunity just for the CCB. It's otherwise a nice town, Tampa Bay Brewing Co. and Peg's also adds to an excellent beer scene.

7. Stevedore

By the way, your latest Hayden Panettiere avatar creeps me out. I think you should change it back to the one you had before!

Horbar and Lantern like this.
  8. kirbmeist

you forgot about clearwater bro. one of the best beaches there is.

Eastside151 likes this.
  9. Now you need to pick up some White Oak Jai Alai. One of my top IPAs.

CASK1, mctizzz, kpanter and 8 others like this.
  10. Stevedore

I still have a couple bottles in my closet- delicious beer. I still prefer the flavour of the regular Jai Alai though.

Still sitting on a bottle of BA Big Sound- already drank one and traded another two, so I think I'll wait for a special occasion to open it up.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  11. Fantastic Beer, traded for it a while back. I would throw some Russian River for a 12 pack or so.

tectactoe likes this.
  12. shand

shand Advocate (645) Florida Jul 13, 2010

Jai Alai is an absolutely wonderful beer that's let down on it's ratings by not being rare in the slightest. A fresh can sub-7 days old is sublime.

13. kirbmeist

when i get some cash i might take you up on that.

14. Danny1217

Danny1217 Advocate (645) Florida Jul 15, 2011

I say it all the time, but... Jai Alai is one of the best IPAs out there. I might be slightly bias as a Floridian, but really. It's great.

WebGuyMike, tectactoe and kirbmeist like this.
  15. kirbmeist

Jai Alai is one of those beers that i always go too long without drinking it because it is so abundant here. To me it is one of the best IPA's you can get and I have taken it for granted for too long. Never again old friend. I will pick up a 6 pack this weekend and enjoy every one. Might have to make this the beer that there is always at least one of in my fridge.

tectactoe likes this.
  16. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Savant (385) California Nov 7, 2011

Sounds great ! Jelly ! :)

17. This could be the beginning of beautiful friendship...

tectactoe, kirbmeist and YogiBeer like this.
  18. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Savant (485) Illinois May 10, 2012

THIS IS WHAT BA IS ABOUT

19. Not a hop head at all but definitly top 2 for Ipas in my opinion

Deltoro and tectactoe like this.
  20. MADPolo

MADPolo Initiate (0) Alabama Dec 19, 2012

Jai Alai is an easy going IPA. Grab it fresh from the fridge, in the can, after mowing the grass down here in Florida and that shit brings on euphoria, lol.

I'm glad I live about 10 minutes away from CCB, as the cans don't get any fresher than buying them straight from the CCB Tap room.

Deltoro and tectactoe like this.
  21. I once read the description of Jai Alai (on draft) at the Sidebar in West Chester, Pennsylvania when my girlfriend and I went out for dinner and was psyched to try it. She was 19 and I 24, so the bitch bar tender refused to sell to me. To this day I'm extremely anxious to try Jai Alai and a huge fan of ripping Sidebar. I don't need to get my girlfriend drunk to be happy. Now that I'm 25 and she's 20, we're safe to order, but this memory had been a huge hindrance on my beer advocacy.

tectactoe likes this.
  22. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

Just don't have it next to Flower Power, and you will love Jai Alai.

Eric69 and fmccormi like this.
  23. codysjb

codysjb Savant (400) Florida Jun 16, 2010

Jai alai is my go to beer atm, and the oak aged one is outstanding as well (i won't even mention the peach which they should can along side the regular jai alai in place of maduro)

kpanter and tectactoe like this.
  24. tectactoe

Got one in my fridge right now... Might have to drink it when I get home from work!

Haha what's wrong with his one!? She's got the little tongue bite thing goin' on... I kinda like it.

Well I'm about 40 minutes away from the brewery, though I'm not very well-versed on meads so idk what they do/don't bottle, but I'm sure I could find out if you had something particular in mind.

25. fmccormi

fmccormi Champion (760) New York Oct 24, 2010

Absolutely agree with you. Fresh Jai Alai, and in cans, is just f'in awesome.

That said, you should be happy that you can get Two Hearted, too. They're both on my top-five list of year-round, "single" IPAs. (I think it's Two Hearted, West Coast IPA, Jai Alai, Flower Power, and Finestkind.)

WebGuyMike likes this.
  26. jsurfs82

jsurfs82 Savant (380) Ohio May 13, 2008

If you like White Oak the Humidor is even better.

kpanter likes this.
  27. tectactoe

Oh, completely. There was a time when I used to take Two Hearted for granted. But I typically try to keep a fresh stock in my fridge - definitely one of my "go-to" beers when I'm not feeling crazy enough to try something new (but I still want something delicious). And it has gotten to the point where even big-time supermarkets like Meijer, Kroger, Walmart, etc., are all carrying fresh stocks of Two Hearted, oftentimes less than three weeks out.

I like your list, but have yet to try West Coast IPA. I definitely dig Flower Power, and Finestkind was other one that surprised the hell out of me. It has such a "unique" bitterness quality to it... It was truly great. Had my first Sculpin the other day, as well. Reminded me a lot of a Two Hearted, maybe not quite as good... But I think I'm slightly partial ;)

KevinGordon and fmccormi like this.
  28. fmccormi

Oh no, I definitely agree with you. I like Two Hearted more than Sculpin, though I admit I'm not sure I've had a bottle that was both fresh and from a really good batch, so my verdict is still out on Sculpin. And Finestkind is seriously a gem—when fresh, it's just about as bitter and hoppy as anything you could ask for on the shelf, and definitely for the $8-9/ sixer pricetag. Two Hearted, though, is just such a well-balanced and -crafted beer in every regard, it's not even funny. We just got the news that Bell's will be expanding to NY State, and I couldn't be happier.

Also, I forgot Torpedo. Another fantastic value.

KevinGordon and tectactoe like this.
  29. I love Jai Alai and especially White Oak Jai Alai. I need to try the Humidor Jai Alai, is it still available?

30. ColdOne

ColdOne Savant (440) New York Jan 19, 2013

Have you seen Jai Alai in CNY?

31. fmccormi

Nope. I don't think CCB will be in upstate NY for a long time. (With the exception of random 750s that I've heard they get down your way at Fingerlakes Bev.)

32. Vermont now carries ccb ( thanks shaun hill) so I can finally get sixers on my treks up there. Now, hopefully the white oak jai alai makes its way up. That, my friends, is truly unreal.

33. There's nothing wrong with your avatar. Carry on.

gwdavis and tectactoe like this.
  34. Picked up a couple six packs of jai alai while home for the holidays in December. Dispersed them amongst friends when I got back and everyone thought they were great! Such a readily available brew in FL and damn tasty. Would like to try the white oak but the shelves were cleaned out. Until next time : )

tectactoe likes this.
  35. MatthewPlus

MatthewPlus Savant (345) Florida Jan 2, 2013

as a tampan, i always say, when in doubt, go with jai alai. The white oak is great, the humidor is spectacular, but a little intense to drink more than one of. The Tampa Bay area is really developing as a great craft beer locale, thanks in large part to CCB. but Peg's cantina crushes with their BA beers, and 7venth sun, though ridiculously small, is making fantastic hoppy beers and berliner weisses. Theres a new brewery opening called Angry Chair Brewing that could be making world-class beers right away. Their brewer is an extremely talented ex-CCB brewer, and their founder is a freaking encyclopedia of knowledge and a mainstay in the tampa craft scene. i was lucky enough to try the pilot batch of German Chocolate Cake Stout, and it blew me away. theyre also putting together a blueberry berliner for Tampa Bay Beer week on March 7 at CCB. if anyone is in town, i highly recommend checking them out that week. of all the many breweries opening in the area, Angry Chair has the potential to really shake things up.

36. I think I read that wrong.

37. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

if anyone wants some, i can get it pretty fresh at my store and white oak is still in stock as well. hidden gem of a store...get some pretty rare beers and are avaialable when rest of stores are sold out. just shoot me a BM and we can do locals for locals. Cheers!

38. The CCB Peach IPA (essentially peach jai alai, just not called peach jai alai for some reason) is absolutely sublime.

FWIW I'd rank them peach>jai alai>white oak

39. kirbmeist

yea i saw a good amount of white oak sitting around my local store. i like regular more though usually pick up the white oak to send off in trades.

40. raczkowski

raczkowski Savant (340) Florida May 16, 2011

i was the same way until i had a white oak that had about 3 months age on it. that, IMO made a huge difference in taste..i love regular, white oak is good but a little pricey. i wish they would bottle their peach ipa they have...would love to try that one.