1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Just had my first Founder's Imperial Stout....

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by tectactoe, Jan 7, 2013.

1. tectactoe

tectactoe Champion (760) Michigan Mar 20, 2012

WHERE HAS THIS BEEN ALL MY LIFE???

Seriously, I was incredibly impressed. I know this beer gets a lot of good acclaim here on BA, but I might even go so far as to say it's slightly underrated. I know, right? Before this, I would've said my favorite Founder's brew was their Breakfast Stout (another beer that had me raving after I first tried it), but hot damn, I think I have to say that FIS is better than FBS.

Just had my last Ten Fidy the other day, as well, which was probably my top RIS, but again, I think I liked FIS a little better. This stuff has really blown me away, and I'm upset that all I could find so far was a single 4-pack !

So what do you guys thing? FIS or FBS? How does FIS rank among your personal favorite RIS's ?

Rob-P, YogiBeer, MichPaul and 7 others like this.
  2. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

I like FBS and Expedition better for sure and perhaps Peche Mortel a little better. Still haven't cracked open my Alesmith Speedway or Abyss yet either.

3. Founders Imperial Stout is my Numero Uno! Parabola is easily my second choice, but something about the roastyness of FIS just fires me up. Great great great beer.

tectactoe likes this.
  4. mychalg9

mychalg9 Advocate (710) Illinois Apr 8, 2010

Yes I like FIS more than FBS, both are great though. I hadn't had the IS in almost 2 years so when I opened one the other day I was reminded of how much I love it.

tectactoe likes this.
  5. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (555) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

I agree wholeheartedly... one of the more underrated brews out there... I had a couple of bottles a few months ago and both of them were sublime...

tectactoe likes this.
  6. fredmugs

fredmugs Champion (870) Indiana Aug 11, 2012

How is #36 on the Beers of Fame underrated???

Rutager and aasher like this.
  7. That's funny I had my first FIS last night as well, it was delightful. I would still give Ten Fidy a slight edge but to each his own. I am definitely glad I grabbed a 4 pack while they are still around.

tectactoe and fredmugs like this.
  8. I love Founders! It's one of the few MI brews that I can find in Boston.

tectactoe likes this.
  9. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

came in to this thread expecting "....and it's infected" or "this years batch isn't as good as last year"

thank you for not being that guy

YogiBeer, BrownAleMale and tectactoe like this.
  10. RichD

RichD Advocate (715) Rhode Island Mar 18, 2012

As of right now I've only had 2 bottles. With that being said it is my favorite non barrel aged stout already. I'm a little pissed that I haven't found any since. I think that this beer will definitely be a staple in my fridge for years to come.

11. tectactoe

Haha, well this was my first one ever, so I can't compare to previous years. However I don't even think my palate is keen enough to remember what something tasted like a year ago anyway :p

Should be higher! IMHO, of course. This is easily one of my top 5 brews. Granted, there are quite a few things I haven't tried yet, but this beer really blew me away.

12. NWer

NWer Advocate (660) Washington Mar 10, 2009

You just made up my mind for me. I have a couple in the cellar I had forgotten about. Will break open one in celebration if ND wins tonight.
    Celebrate a ND win with a Michigan beer? Makes sense to me :)

fmccormi and tectactoe like this.
  13. misterid

misterid Savant (270) Wisconsin Apr 3, 2009

don't feel bad. 99% of the people here don't possess such ability though 75% of them would like you to believe they can pick out the subtle differences between cans of Budweiser in a blind taste test after a 4-pack of Samichlaus.

Lantern and Docrock like this.
  14. FIS is definitely one of the best beers I have had lately. I think I would pick FIS over FBS most days. There are a couple neglected bottles of Narwhal and Old Rasputin in my fridge now. I had to buy a second 4 pack after trying it and realizing it won't be on shelves for long. Hopefully I can stop at 2 so other Founders fans will get a shot at some.

15. Saw it recently at my bottle shops. Passed it up a few times. I think they still have it in stock. Time to go shopping.

16. cavedave

cavedave Champion (940) New York Mar 12, 2009

I will describe my feelings thusly: I have purchased all the 4 paks I have found still on the shelf. This may not be advocacy, or respect, and normally I care about that, but not with this beer. I can't stop drinking it, so delicious.

YogiBeer, SammyJaxxxx, DanK4 and 6 others like this.
  17. joelwlcx

joelwlcx Savant (410) Minnesota Apr 23, 2007

Sadly, I have never had the FIS, but I do like KBS very much.

18. I thought the exact same thing when I have my first FIS. It was all sorts of awesome.

MITCHELLMPLS likes this.
  19. First off I will say this is a great beer. At 90 IBU you will be hard pressed to find another imperial stout with that high IBU and I feel the chocolate roasty malty taste in this beer is superb. Compare it to FBS is difficult because FBS is so high amount of coffee flavor it differs immensly. I do agree that Abyss although harder to find is probably my top non barrel aged stout.

20. jawzman

jawzman Aficionado (210) Minnesota Mar 20, 2010

I think FIS gets lots of love here, many old timer BA's on this site have been signing its praises for years. And I too, like it better than FBS, though its completely different.

21. Awesome beer. Founders just arrived in N.H this summer and I am so happy they have. I have a store 15 minutes from me that had Backwoods Bastard and the Imperial Stout and nobody around here knows how awesome they are. Told a friend yesterday that Founder Imperial Stout is the best non BA stout in the state and at $10.99 reasonable. For me better than Ten Fidy. Speedway Stout, The Yetis, and Doris the Destroyer are all very close for me.

22. Speedway FTW. Just as good fresh than with age.

23. zstef99

zstef99 Aficionado (185) New York Dec 25, 2008

I had my first this weekend and I loved it. If I could I would tone down the hops a bit, though... that's not the flavor I'm usually looking for in a stout. Even with a more pronounced hop flavor than I'd prefer, I thought it was one of the best RIS's I've had. Having said that, I'd take Breakfast Stout over it 9 times out of 10.

SWChi likes this.
  24. Tilley4

Tilley4 Advocate (555) Tennessee Nov 13, 2007

Mmmmm.. cause in my opinion it should be ranked higher? Just my opinion, no need to get flustered...

25. Buy enough this year to cellar for drinking next year, repeat this process every year. IMO this is a much better beer with some age on it.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  26. Dennoman

Dennoman Advocate (505) Belgium Aug 20, 2011

I can only compare 2011 FIS to 2012 FBS, but my vote overwhelmingly goes to the former.

FIS was just so delicious, it was super complex and it had flavors of coffee, chocolate, sea salt and potato skin (?!) going through it. Can't believe it's that cheap either, really good for its price.

FBS was "meh". Good coffee hit, but little complexity otherwise. Mouthfeel was a little thin for what I expected from it. KBS was a TOTALLY different kettle of fish though.

27. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Savant (495) Georgia Mar 8, 2011

Welcome to the club! FIS is a damn fine stout (and yes, I'd choose it over FBS in most situations).
    Be sure to grab some to cellar if you're into that because it does quite well over time too.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  28. For me, FIS > FBS, and I think FBS is a damn fine brew.

I'm also a big fan of all the Yetis, B.O.R.I.S/D.O.R.I.S, & Ten Fidy if we're talking RIS that I don't have to go out of my way to obtain and/or spend $$$.

29. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Savant (275) Illinois Sep 1, 2009

Had a four pack last year that I didn't remember but had another this New Years Eve and I won't forget. I myself like FBS but I prefer the added hoppiness of the FIS as I tend to mix DIPA's and RIS's for that hoppy fullness.
    I'm stocking up on the FIS so I don't have to mix

30. TychoNDC

TychoNDC Savant (370) New York Jan 7, 2013

FIS is the beer that really developed my love of Imperial Stouts. Ten Fidy is great; I love it but it's a bit heavy and I'm not always up for it. FIS has the silky coffee+cream texture that I absolutely love and doesn't tire you out. This year's crop does not disappoint.

FBS is great as well but I'd take FIS over it. I'm still sitting on my first ever KBS from '12 so I cannot comment on it in comparison with the others.

31. Bigstein09

Bigstein09 Zealot (90) Connecticut Oct 23, 2012

I like FBS better but the FIS is still a very impressive brew.

32. tectactoe

Yes, Ten Fidy is amazing... Unfortunately, I don't have easy access in Michigan :(

33. jminch

jminch Savant (400) Ohio Jul 17, 2011

Ok, this may be the wrong forum, but since it is FIS, here goes. I just bought a four pack this weekend, was going to drink two fresh and cellar two, so it seems that most people say 1 year tastes best. I would love to hear more opinions on how long and to save these and when they are at their best. Thanks!

34. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

Why are people comparing FIS and FBS, they are different styles and FBS obviously has coffee in it.

Kinda like comparing Two Hearted and Hopslam.

tonyseleski, Gtg642 and steebo777 like this.
  35. jplopez21

jplopez21 Advocate (580) Illinois Nov 14, 2012

no one for narwhal? i thought it was more balanced and less bitter than FIS. it seems to me that ba's prefer more bitter RIS'.

36. tectactoe

Yeah, but I wasn't asking which one is necessarily a better example of a certain style, just which one people would prefer to drink if given the choice. In that case, you could compare an IPA with a stout - given the immediate choice, which one would I rather drink?

37. semibaked

semibaked Advocate (685) Kentucky Mar 27, 2007

I wasn't pointing your post out in particular, just saying in general. To answer your question though, I would pick FIS, it is an absolutely amazing beer. My favorite Founders seasonal release besides KBS.

tectactoe likes this.
  38. Just grabbed 2 4pks. There was one left. Should I grab it? The bill was already at $100 when I checked out. Grabbed 2 Noble Rots, 2 75min, a 4pk of Old School and an Immort Ale. Didnt want to tack another 4pk on the bill...think maybe i should have...

Lantern likes this.
  39. Tnudish

Tnudish Initiate (0) Wisconsin Feb 16, 2012

I've been preaching the good book of FIS going on 3 years now. Bought a whole case last year, need to go out and grab me a case of this years pronto. My favorite imperial stout out there.

ASUBeer likes this.
  40. What made me fall in love so much with founders imp stout, not only the great malts and coffee, but the high level of hops, at 90 ibu this baby has a hop kick. Im interested in a 3 year vertical once i score some this year to see what happens to this excellent brew.