1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Just had my first scotch ale...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Winston_Smith, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Winston_Smith

Winston_Smith Initiate (0) Kentucky Oct 25, 2012

Dirty Bastard, you are a winner! If this stuff is typical of the style, I may be very very fat and very very poor in the future. I'd known Founders was quality, and this did not disappoint. Rich, super-full flavor, but very balanced and drinkable. The slight alcohol burn is gravy on my biscuits...

Your favorites of this style? (I know that even in craft beer, this is an often overlooked style.)

2. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Illinois Jun 5, 2012

Great style...try Oskar Blues Old Chub.

DrDemento456, BDEE, dianimal and 15 others like this.
  3. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Oskar Blues Old Chub. Between that and Dirty Bastard, my scotch ale needs are covered for about $10 a 6-pack. Skull Splitter is a must try as well.

4. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

I love Dirty Bastard and Old Chub. Right now I'm on a Bristol Laughing Lab binge - a milder and sweeter Scotch ale compared to the other two mentioned.

5. Was it good for you...

Backwoods bastard would be a nice progression

6. Drinking a Dirty Bastard now, it's a good one. Oskar Blues Old Chub is a favorite as is Great Divide Claymore and of course Skullsplitter.

Also Scotch de Silly is a great Belgian scotch ale, but you may have to do some digging to find one.

BoneyardBrewer and kemoarps like this.
  7. Great style. I drank a Backwoods Bastard just last night, and the four months of age it had on it was very kind to it indeed. Not sure if you get Dark Horse down there, but if so, Scotty Karate is a nice representation of the style that I've definitely warmed up to this season.

JDizzle likes this.
  8. Robert The Bruce
    Scotty Karate
    Smuttynose

9. nc41

nc41 Advocate (650) North Carolina Sep 25, 2008

I drank my last Backwoods Bastard last week, it's really good stuff. I also have to say BA Old Chub, had it on tap at the Mellow Mushroom when it was around, maybe even a little better.

FriarTuckInLuck and gpawned like this.
  10. Orkney Skull Splitter, I think, is the best wee heavy/Scotch ale out there, and it's pretty readily available. About to have my first Scotty Karate, though, we'll see how it goes down.

11. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

Have a can in my fridge ... haven't had it yet, but I hope it doesn't disappoint. Dirty Bastard's one of my favorite beers.

12. gpawned

Don't expect it to be a clone of Dirty Bastard...but I prefer the Old Chub.

13. Smuttynose Scotch ale is one of my favorites

fujindemon74 likes this.
  14. Alextricity

Alextricity Advocate (700) Michigan Jun 18, 2012

I can tell by the color alone that it probably won't taste very similar, but I'm open minded.

gpawned likes this.
  15. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

Honestly this is the ONLY Scotch Ale I have ever enjoyed. I don't care much for this style because I feel it doesn't have enough beer flavor. Sam Adams is one other that I felt was decent. But overall it isn't my style of beer. But I'll keep experimenting and hopfully find another Dirty Bastard or similar out there.

16. ChrisMon02

ChrisMon02 Savant (435) Ohio May 2, 2010

Alesmith Wee Heavy. Amazing beer. Have 1 chilling in the fridge for later. Can't wait to crack it...screw it, going to bust it open now.

n2pux, sweetLew, dan027 and 5 others like this.
  17. gpawned

Beer flavor? I love lambics/gueuze, stouts, scotch ales and other styles...but if I said I didn't care for IPAs (for example) because they don't have enough "beer flavor" (compared to any of those other styles) that would be a little silly.

dmeadows likes this.
  18. Ale Smith has a great wee heavy, but my favorite is a seasonal by Tyranena called Sheep shagger. Other mentions are old chub, smuttynose and big sound by cigar city.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  19. 19etz55

19etz55 Savant (345) New Jersey Aug 12, 2007

I guess we have different palates. I'm glad you enjoy the scotch ales. I wish I did too. Funny you mentioned IPA's as they are my favorite style. I feel there is a lot of beer flavor with the vast amount of hops that's put into IPA's. Let's drink to agreeing to disagree. Cheers!

20. Cenosillicaphobe

Cenosillicaphobe Savant (360) Maine Jul 24, 2011

How does one quantify "beer flavor", out of sheer, morbid curiosity?

gpawned likes this.
  21. old chub is always in the cooler for after surf sessions on the beach, claymore suits my palate a bit better than dirty bastard but they are both great. try to find this one if you can: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/24/36 that is outright perfect

CelticAleMan and gpawned like this.
  22. ufmj

ufmj Savant (395) Florida Feb 15, 2013

23. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Advocate (615) Maine May 1, 2011

Love Dirty Bastard. Need to try Old Chub.

Reggae4203 likes this.
  24. gpawned

I actually do enjoy IPAs and don't really think there is anything to disagree about as far was who likes what.

My comment was more to point out that it is ridiculous to refer to one style as having more "beer flavor" than another.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  25. gpawned

Will have to look for that one. Thanks for the recommendation.

26. One of my favorite styles right now.

Oskar Blues: Old Chub
    Big Eddy: Wee Heavy
    Sprecher: Piper's Scotch Ale
    Tyranena: Sheep Shagger Scotch Ale
    Moylan's: Kilt Lifter

These are all scotch ales I have enjoyed and would want to have again. Old Chub is my favorite, just echoing others.

dianimal likes this.
  27. I can't believe no one has thought to mention House Ale or Jacobite yet. Both of them are made by Traquair House Brewery.

n2pux likes this.
  28. Orkney Skull Splitter is shit, by the way. Weak flavour, thin body, low carbonation, and somewhat high alcohol content. It's a complete booze bomb. I'm not talking lightly warming here. I'm talking about alcohol completely dominating the profile. Crazy harsh finish. It's not so much a messy beer as it is a trainwreck. I don't understand the love people have for such a shit beer.

BrownAleMale likes this.
  29. SaCkErZ9

SaCkErZ9 Champion (825) Florida Feb 27, 2005

Duck Rabbit makes a decent scotch ale.

fujindemon74 likes this.
  30. PieOhMy

PieOhMy Advocate (505) Minnesota Feb 23, 2013

Great style. And you got acclimated right - Dirty Bastard is a f**ckin' monster!

31. Gotta go with Old Chub...for the moment. I still want to get my hands od Founders' Dirty and Backwoods Bastards.

gpawned likes this.
  32. This thread prompted me to go out and pop my scotch ale cherry as well. Went hunting for Dirty Bastard or Old Chub, both of which I've seen in ample supply at this one particular place... nothing. But I did find Scotty Karate.

It was... pretty good. It felt thin bodied and more vinous than I was hoping. I'm not really getting a lot of peat smoke, but if you've ever had Laphroaig, it's really hard to appreciate peatiness in damn near any other scotch, let alone a beer. I know for a fact there's Old Chub sitting around stores in the area though. That'll be next I guess.

33. Easy Chico. It may not be to everyone's taste but it is pretty far from being 'a shit beer.'

34. Chinon01

Chinon01 Savant (440) Pennsylvania Jan 23, 2007

Belhaven St Andrews Ale.

35. bunni

bunni Disciple (70) Texas Feb 3, 2011

Pike Brewing Co.'s Kilt Lifter I really enjoyed--though I found it slightly lighter-bodied than Old Chub.

Also, Scotch de Silly from Brasserie de Silly and Real Ale's Real Heavy

kemoarps likes this.
  36. Oskar Blues Old Chub
    Dark Horse Scotty Karate
    Smuttynose Scotch Ale
    AleSmith Wee Heavy
    Founders Backwoods Bastard

37. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Savant (475) Missouri Sep 14, 2011

Great beer. Not typical. Many are peaty and gross. It's a love it or hate it style for me. I like the real thing but many American craft versions are not my bag. Claymore is the archetype of the sort I don't care for. Chubb and DB I like a lot.

38. Three Floyds Robert the Bruce
    Dark Horse Scotty Karate

39. gpawned

SHIT! How did I forget Robert The Bruce??? Thanks for throwing that one out there.

TastyAdventure likes this.
  40. Kinsman

Kinsman Advocate (600) California Aug 26, 2009

Could you name one scotch ale (American or not) that is actually peaty? I love heavily peated Scotch but as far as I can tell, none of the ones listed in this thread so far actually have peated malt like a Scotch would. I only bring this up because it is a common misconception that Scotch=peat when in fact most scotch whiskies and just about all scotch ales have little to no peated malt in them at all. I know some American made scotch ales do have a smoked malt variety in them but wood smoke and peat smoke are totally different animals and it's just annoying to see beers described as "smoky and peaty" when there is no peat at all.

gpawned likes this.