1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Just had my first sour beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Johnnyramirez, Jan 1, 2013.

1. SGToliver

SGToliver Savant (325) Washington Nov 22, 2012

In Belgium lambics are women's beers. Gueuze is a mans beer. :) funny as this is, most Belgians believe this.

edit: also, these beers, rodenbach and liefmans....the stuff just sits on the shelf at most stores in Belgium.
  2. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

If you like Kombucha... Jester King just did a very small (<100 cases) run of a collaboration beer called Buddha's Brew (with the local tea company of the same name) which is a sour wheat with Kombucha blended in. It was delicious and I can't believe I forgot to mention it.

Unfortunately it's long gone, but they've said they might do another round. Possibly with blueberry Kombucha. Nom.
  3. Envelopes

Envelopes Initiate (0) Ohio Aug 26, 2012

That sounds pretty great. I'll add it to my list of "beers I hope to one day have something worth trading for"!
  4. Buddha's Brew. Got that too. Forgot to mention it too
  5. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Washington Dec 15, 2010

Not sour enough, but I see what you're getting at.
  6. pixieskid

pixieskid Advocate (660) Germany Jun 4, 2009

Gotta pay to play... ;-) see you soon buddy, looking forward to sharing some beers in FL and will shoot you a bm in regards to bottles asap!
  7. jsm1289

jsm1289 Aficionado (175) New York Mar 11, 2011

god damn you sours, you have taken over my life!

I was a noob at one time, I imagined a sour beer being disgusting. Slowly but surely, i started to drink a few here and there and before you know it I am dreaming of sours, dreaming of RR, dreaming of scoring some cantillon, asking the powerful beer gods to send me the armand4 seasonal pack, to send me Blabaer. My wallet is noticeably thinner but god damn I just love the sours !
  8. 1) most people associate only stuff like Lindemans Kriek & Timmermans Kriek with lambic - these are seen as women's beer. These beers are also very sweet lemonades basically for women who don't like pale lagers. Geuze & real aka sour lambic's are virtually unknown & most people are surprised when they discover they exists & are surprised that kriek's were originally actually sour.

2) Rodenback & Liefmans doesn't sit on the shelves - these are just very big companies who make a lot beer, they are sold at lots of supermarkets etc. & stock rotates well. Saying Rodenbach sits on the shelves is like saying in the USA, Sam Adams or Budweiser sits on the shelves.
  9. others have mentioned these but very easy to find
    Rodebach Grand Cru
    Cuvee Rene
    Petrus Aged Pale
  10. Cuvee des Jacobins is another readily available/solid choice
  11. New Belgium La Folie comes out in January and is delicious.
  12. SGToliver

SGToliver Savant (325) Washington Nov 22, 2012

You first item assumes most people in belgium are clueless as to the beers they have available to them, incorrect. Gueuze and 'real' sour beers are not unknown there...especially in Brussels.

your second item is partially true but they are still not the ones an average belgian drinks. These lambics/gueuze/sours etc are not the popular ones (mostly referring to liefmans).

Also, i should have been a bit more obvious but my comment was a joke (although a joke I hear often by my friends).

anyway, no need to hijack the thread with nonsense.
  13. Beatification>>> Anything Lindemans makes
    beerme411 likes this.
  14. Siggy125

Siggy125 Savant (470) California Nov 10, 2006

Congratulations. I've tried & tried & tried. And while I'll say I don't dislike them, I just don't enjoy them like I enjoy other styles. For me, it's kinda like passing on Chicken Cordon Bleu when Beef Wellington is on the table.
  15. RoninTK3

RoninTK3 Savant (290) New Hampshire Nov 12, 2012

I'm just getting into sours. Supplication is fantastic.
  16. Porkhustle

Porkhustle Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012

Beginner? It's beer, not swimming. Drink whatever you can find.
    brikelly likes this.
  17. I had some of that last night, its soo good.
  18. Was going to say Petrus as well. Easy drinking and pretty inexpensive (750ml for $8, IIRC). And I do think sours are kind of an acquired taste for many people, as many things are. Best not to jump in and taste something extreme as it may cause you to write off the style in general.
  19. jb123

jb123 Savant (470) Michigan Dec 3, 2012

i too am new to the craft beer world, and interestingly enough sour beer is what got me into this crazed community. your wallet will hate you but you soon will get over that. with that being said my first sour was by Jolly Pumpkin, La Roja. it was love at first sip. when i ordered it i could NOT believe the price 7/glass(12oz) but i went with it anyways and it was a good choice! having tried nearly everything they make yearly and most of their seasonals ive had one i didnt care for. bottles usually are 750mls costing 10-22 per bottle, with the exception of their "grand reserve" releases which are a entirely different beast. Rodenbach is good as well. ID LOVE TO TRY SOME RUSSIAN RIVER, but it does not come to michigan. contact me FT ISO some russian river if you are interested. hope this helps.
  20. Rodenbach Grand Cru, Duchesse de Bourgogne, Vichtenaar, Monk's Cafe, Cuvee des Jacobins, Liefman's Goudenband
  21. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Advocate (620) Oklahoma Oct 22, 2010

At this point, sours are my kryptonite. No me gustan.
  22. Rodenbach Grand Cru and Petrus Aged Pale are the first two I would recommend. Not expensive (for sours at least), and both are quality brews.

23. Try any russian river sour.. amazing. Consecration will blow your mind, also jolly pumpkin is awesome and oud beersel is somewhat inexpensive and easy to find
  24. Once i fell for sours i knew it was game over at the brew pub i frequent to pick up sours till no end.

God damn Russian River, God dammit!
  25. Must find some supplication ;)!
    ales4baldo and beerme411 like this.
  26. I think Consecration is better ;)
    fickenmeimirish likes this.
  27. Yeah, I just picked up a Supplication and Consecration today. They kinda sit on the shelves here in my shop. I asked the dude there and he said there was no limit since they weren't exactly fast sellers
  28. Atlas1977

Atlas1977 Aficionado (125) Illinois Nov 27, 2010

I had a Lou Malnatis pizza with a bottle of Supplication and then Cantillon Gueuze 100% Lambic. Starting off the new year right. I would highly recommend both of these beers. I am jealous at the op's ability to buy RR beers, they are my favorite sours.
  29. As some said Cuvée Des Jacobins Rogue but since you mentioned you can get Consecration definitely get some. Then ship them to me so I can enjoy them...