1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Just Kegged for the 1st time

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Stout_Combo, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Really no qualms or questions or tribulations as of yet just incredibly excited and I feel like that was SOOOOO easy! Double nut brown that the girl has dubbed motor oil cause thats what it looks like! haha

NiceFly likes this.
  2. kegging beats the hell out of bottle priming/bottling. If you only have one keg and are running into beer turnover issues I highly suggest investing in a blichman beer gun so you can bottle beer out of the keg when needed to free it up for the next batch.

Stout_Combo likes this.
  3. I just kegged for the first time last weekend and going to do it again today. So easy compared to bottling.

Do those beer guns work well psnydez? I only have 5 foot lines would it work okay with that?

4. The beer gun comes with a 10' small diameter line, which drops the pressure, which helps it work.

5. I wouldn't waste the money on the beer gun, when a makeshift bottle filler can be made with less than $10 worth of parts...

MLucky likes this.
  6. It was so much easier then bottling and while I may try my hand at bottling out of the keg i am not certain to invest in the gun or not considering i am intrigued by some of the methods others used to bottle..

7. here is a video from youtube user BobbyFromNJ showing what parts are necessary and how to bottle from the keg for roughly $10. I have been doing it this way for quite a while now with great results.

8. As far as the piece of plastic in the picnic tap, that is what I do for club meetings and parties. For a competition, the beer gun is used. Had some beers get knocked down for diacetyl and/or oxidation, so the beer gun solved that problem.

mikehartigan and Stout_Combo like this.
  9. VikeMan

VikeMan Advocate (740) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009

Love the beer gun. Used it today. But I also use a bottling wand or a wide hose (both are quick and easy) for growler fills. It really depends on how soon the beer will be consumed.