1. Don't miss our 7th annual American Craft Beer Fest featuring 640+ beers from 140+ brewers this May 30 & 31 in Boston, MA! Buy your tickets now!
  2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Just kegged my first homebrew.

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Timmush, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Timmush

Timmush Member

I have been bottling for years and figured I would star kegging. Maybe someone can help because I have been researching it for weeks and have read/watched about 50 different ways.
    I will tell you what I have done so far and maybe someone can tell me what to do next.

I put it in the keg, burped it 4 times, then filled it at 30 psi for 10 minutes while gently rocking. Now I have it sitting at 20psi for the last 30 minutes or so and want to know my next steps. It is in the kegerator now all hooked up at about 34 degrees.

So... first can you let me what to do next. Then you can tell me what I did wrong. Thanks.

(If it helps it is a American Pale Ale)
  2. NiceFly

NiceFly Member

Take it back out, turn up the PSI really high. Now lay the keg on its side and roll back and forth.
    After a few minutes close the valve coming out of your regulator, roll some more.
    Now stand the keg upright, turn your PSI knob all the way down and open the valve.
    Does the regulator read the correct PSI for your temperature and desired volume of CO2?
    If yes then put it back in the fridge and enjoy, else rinse and repeat.
  3. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Member

Or...wait 2 weeks once you get additional cornies, faucets, etc. you can just "set it and forget it" at serving pressure.

Patience when first kegging is akin to patience when brewing your first batch.

2 more weeks in the keg will make up in part for some of the time it was not carbonating/conditioning in the bottle.

When I first started kegging a lot of my beers were still "green".

Congrats
  4. dcgunman

dcgunman Member

I am new to kegging also. And this is our 2nd batch of homebrew. I also will be force carbonation when we do keg or beer. But I thought force carbonation's purpose is to be able to drink it within a day or two? Or do we still need to let it sit inside the kegerator for two weeks to condition?
  5. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Member

Quick force carbonating works fine if you are in a hurry, but it will carbonate at serving pressure with the added benefit of a little more time.

For the record, I'll bet almost everyone uses the quick method on their first keg.
  6. jokelahoma

jokelahoma Member

Force carbonation isn't really to allow you to drink it in a day or two. That's just an added bonus, should you choose to do it that way. The real benefit of force carbing, in my opinion, is accuracy, consistency, and cleanliness. Accuracy because you can set a gauge based on the temperature of your kegerator and know pretty much what you're going to get. Consistency because, unlike adding sugar to bottles, if you let nature and physics take their course you know every time how it's going to come out. And cleanliness because, unlike sugar, there's no additional yeast growth and therefore no additional sediment that comes along with that.

So yes, you can crank 'er up to 30 and roll 'er around. Doing so stirs up any sediment still in the beer, but you'll be drinking the beer very soon after kegging, provided you don't accidentally over-carbonate it. Or, as GreenKrusty says, you can "set it and forget it", using widely available charts to base your pressure on what carbonation level you want and your kegerator's temperature, and leave it for 1.5 to 2 weeks. That also gains you the additional aging/settling/melding time. If you're even more anal about it (like me), you'll set your serving line length to match that pressure, so once it's carbed you're ready to serve it with no other adjustments to counter foaming, etc.

Whichever you choose, welcome to kegging. The joy of simply hooking a hose to the fermenter and letting it all go into the keg at once is so much nice that 50+ bottles one at a time, isn't it?
  7. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Member

I might add that if you are kegging/dryhopping an IPA or something similar with pellets, the hop mung won't be gone for ~ 2 weeks anyway. Sometimes they're kicked before it ever clears up...bummer.
  8. dcgunman

dcgunman Member

GreenKrusty101-". . .the hop mung you are talking about, is that the sediments that I am seeing when I pour (tap) from my keg?" I did end up force carbonation after kegging our homebrew of DIPA. We racked our beer last week from the carboy to the corny keg. Purged it. Then shot 30psi of Co2 into it. Transported the keg to my house 30 minutes away. I then put it into my kegerator overnight to chill down to 35F. Next day I did a force carbonation at 30psi while shaking it for about 5-10 minutes. Let it sit for another 48 hours in the fridge/kegerator. I did tap it the following day(4 days after kegging). I already knew that I was going to get sediments in the keg when we racked the beer into the corny keg. The one thing we did not do before we racked the beer was to let it sit and settle for several hours. We did not have the time. So my question-"is the sediments is from the hop mung from the carboy(secondary fermentation) & will the hop mung go away if I let it condition for two weeks in the corny keg inside the kegerator?" I read that it is okay to drink the sediments (hop mung). Is this true?
  9. mattcrill

mattcrill Member

I'm sure you'll have plenty of people telling you what you "did wrong". Good thing there are no moral absolutes in this hobby ;)

The debate will rage on without end of force carbing vs. "set and forget".

Personally, I've done both and there are pros/cons for both. Regardless, the beer will change it's character as it has time to lager and as you adjust the carbonation. That's what I enjoy the most, sampling as it changes along the way.

Do what works for you...I've had parties that I brewed for so I had to force carb. When I have the time, I set it and forget it.

My only suggestion would be taste it along the way (either as it's carbonating or after it's carbed and had time to lager) so you can have an idea of how it changes and you get more familiar with your system.

Welcome to the jungle!
  10. Homebrew42

Homebrew42 Member

Whether you're jacking up the pressure and shaking the keg, or simply "setting it and forgetting it", you're force carbing either way. Any time you're pushing gas into a keg you're force carbing, regardless of whether you're doing it the fast way or the slow way.
  11. mattcrill

mattcrill Member

True enough. Thanks for the clarification. I stand corrected.

"Shake and bake" vs. "set and forget" = force carbonating. Different procedure. Hopefully same end result.