Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine by selecting auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Just started brewing .. this is my first batch ( photo )

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jncastillo87, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Aficionado (240) Texas Jan 27, 2013

Hey yall just started brewing about a month ago and I have my first product. I went with EZ mix pale ale I picked from DeFalcos brew supply in Houston. The beer turned out perfect, i cant believe how great it is .. Im really want to start learning more about creating my own personal recipe and other brewing tips/skills. Hope to learn a lot from the site !

KevSal, Bay01, thatsfine and 5 others like this.
  2. VikeMan

VikeMan Champion (930) Pennsylvania Jul 12, 2009 Verified

Congrats on your first batch. If you haven't already, I recommend reading this...
    And keep reading this forum.
    homebrewer88 and jncastillo87 like this.
  3. You lucky SOB! My first batch sucked. Thanks a lot Alton Brown! Welcome to the passion. And yes, read, the link above. Then buy it in print.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  4. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Champion (810) Texas May 21, 2010

That's a DAMN fine looking beer Hoss!

I think you should send me a few bottles tho so I can fully evaluate it for you. :rolleyes:

Agreed, read "how to brew" and participate in the forum. No question is too stupid, although some of the stoopidest ones have already been asked before. Possibly by me. o_O

Random musings are also sometimes sources of good feedback. Again, possibly already done by me. :cool:
    jncastillo87 likes this.
  5. scurvy311

scurvy311 Savant (465) Louisiana Dec 3, 2005

Ha! Me too. I normally like ABs stuff, but rewatching that episode now...he was way underwater with Homebrewing. I do credit him with getting me started, even if we did have to unlearn. Amber waves my friend.
    sergeantstogie likes this.
  6. jncastillo87

Hey man thanks for all the great comments I was more than pleased with the results ... As a matter of fact a great friend of mine came over and helped me finish the last 8 flip tops. I cant wait to read all of the articles mentioned and learn more im sure I have a lot to learn.... Does anyone ever get together around certain places and share all the home brews ??? here is my buddy helping me drink today ....

7. There are homebrew clubs in Houston.
  8. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (515) Texas Apr 13, 2010

I believe they do at DeFalco's.
  9. MLucky

MLucky Savant (400) California Jul 31, 2010

Ha! I saw that episode of 'Good Eats' for the first time just the other day, and I'm pretty sure that anybody who followed Alton's directions would wind up with a bleachy tasting, tanin infused, fusel bomb.
    sergeantstogie likes this.
  10. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Champion (805) California Sep 4, 2010 Verified

Great looking beer! All of a sudden you'll wake up 3 years later with 30+ batches under your belt and wayyy too many hours invested into this site. Cheers!
  11. That's great, thanks for sharing. My first batch is conditioning now. Great to see a first batch turn out well. There is hope!
  12. Excellent! Nothing makes time go more slowly than waiting for that first batch to be ready. Great to hear it came out awesome!
  13. MrOH

MrOH Advocate (525) Maryland Jul 5, 2010

More like 70+ batches, 5 full fermenters, ~80# of various grain and 8# of hops in the freezer, plus several strains of yeast in jars, vials, smack packs, or pouches waiting to be used. Oh, and you might be moving in a few months, so better get to brewing and drinking!
    RobertColianni and whereizzy like this.
  14. I need some better looking drinkin' buddies..

"Give a man a brew..waste an hour....teach a man to brew..waste a lifetime
    DAllspaw, JrGtr and rocdoc1 like this.
  15. AlCaponeJunior

I hear ya. I have the problem that I both brew and fish. It's really hard to get anything done around here. :rolleyes:
    Mattreinitz and darknova306 like this.
  16. Eriktheipaman

The solution is to drink more.
  17. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Advocate (500) Utah May 2, 2006

I have that episode permanently parked on my DVR (until the DVR dies). It cracks me up every time I watch it. Gotta love his enthusiasm even if much most of his procedure is suspect.
  18. jncastillo87

Sounds like I started out pretty good ! I honestly cant believe the beer turned out that well. I need to look out for the homebrew clubs that are in Houston and check them out .. this stuff is fun.
  19. AlCaponeJunior

you're hooked now. Just don't try to blame us :rolleyes:
    jncastillo87 likes this.
  20. jncastillo87

One more thing to add guys .. how do these hydrometer readings look ? I figure the ABV to be around 5.25 if you move the foam out of the way ..

21. AlCaponeJunior

Looks like about 1.050 and 1.010 or so. Perfectly fine numbers. You can probably use the tube that your gravity meter came in as a measuring device. You can also let it sit for a bit to let the bubbles settle, making it easier to read. The ABV can be calculated from the two readings. I don't have the formula handy tho.
    jncastillo87 likes this.
  22. rocdoc1

rocdoc1 Savant (450) New Mexico Jan 13, 2006

Congratulations, that is a fine looking beer and I bet it tastes excellent too. I foresee a lifelong addiction to brewing in your future, I hope you're ready for it. But there is no better hobby, no better group of people you'll ever meet than homebrewers.
    jncastillo87 and JimSmetana like this.
  23. Congratulations. This will consume your entire mind. It has mine ;)
    jncastillo87 likes this.
  24. and in 6 months, you'll look back at that brew and think "man, i've come a long way!"
    jncastillo87 likes this.
  25. jncastillo87

Thanks for the tips guys .. batch # 2 is happening on saturday.

Then the waiting period starts :(
  26. DAllspaw

DAllspaw Savant (290) Indiana Nov 7, 2009

The formular that I use (from my first kit's instructions)

OG - FG X 131.25 = ABV
    1.050 - 1.010 = .040 X 131.25 = 5.25%

And for the love of all things beer, please be patient. It will reward you with better tasting beer.
    jncastillo87 likes this.
  27. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Savant (460) Virginia Feb 28, 2012 Verified

The waiting period gets a lot easier once you have ten cases of homebrew in your closet and have to drink a case in a week to free up more bottles for your next batch. Thats when you invite your friends over for a tasting:)
  28. This is why I am making my second batch only 2 weeks after the first.
  29. Eriktheipaman

30. jncastillo87

Batch two of pale ale is in the bucket and bubbling .. This time we had to steep the grains so I am curious to see what the taste difference will be. Also have a higher starting hydrometer readings so I am assuming a slightly stronger beer. Also made a batch of meade from of friends local honey she extracted herself from a personal bee collection. We decided to make a honey blueberry mixture and will carbonate it as well.. This is a great hobby. Anyone here ever made meade ?

31. AlCaponeJunior

Carbonated mead... sounds interesting! I had some homemade (berry of some sort) mead recently. I was skeptical because appearance wasn't that great, but the meade was the tasty-er-est I've had, and it was 2 years old! ABV was pretty high, I'm guessing 12%.
    jncastillo87 likes this.
  32. jncastillo87

Glad to hear it turned out ... the color on this one is really dark and I was thinking the same as you. We shall see what happens with this one...
  33. Speedster00

Speedster00 Initiate (15) Feb 4, 2013

hmmmm..you brewing with a guy named Steven?

And as far as clubs...Im in the "KGB" Kuykendahl Gran Brewers. Look em up. Good group of guys with monthly meets.
  34. jncastillo87

Not sure about this Steven you speak of ... Ill look up the Grab Brewers!
  35. jlordi12

jlordi12 Advocate (560) Massachusetts Jun 8, 2011 Verified

Is that what the kids are calling it these days?
    jncastillo87 likes this.
  36. jpeck13

jpeck13 Aficionado (150) California Apr 28, 2011

jncastillo87 likes this.
  37. jncastillo87

excellent ideas .. i have the extreme brewing book from the dogfish head beer guy .. im trying to learn thru that right now about the different ways and techniques.