1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kane Brewing...

Discussion in 'US - Mid-Atlantic' started by JaymoNJ, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JaymoNJ

JaymoNJ Aspirant (45) New Jersey Feb 15, 2013

Going this weekend to pick up a growler of Head High.

What do you guys think of the other beers they have in their tasting room? Any must do's?

Just found out about this place and its like two towns over from my parents place and where I grew up, so I pretty excited to try some hometown goodness.
  2. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

3. bbrown12

bbrown12 Savant (270) New Jersey Oct 18, 2011

Try everything! Seriously though Overhead is my favorite.
  4. The new DIPA, Empower, is fantastic.

The lineup this weekend will probably be:
    Head High
    Overhead
    Empower
    Single Fin
    Port Omna
    Solitude (Belgian strong dark)

Hopefully Mike puts some of the barrel aged stuff on tap this weekend. He's got BA Head High, BA Overhead, BA Port Omna, BA Single Fin, and others. I had last year's batch of BA Head High several times and it is the bomb.

If anyone wants to share some bottles at Kane on Saturday, let me know.
    pressedmeat, ufmj and ShemRahBoo like this.
  5. I live like 20 mins from Kane so I have been lucky enough to try most of their beers and I can honestly say I have enjoyed every one of them. But def. go for their head high and overhead, both are world class beers IMO.
    dondeez21 likes this.
  6. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

I never had a bad beer from them, all are very good.
    I like head high the best. Much better than Overhead (IMO) but Empower is really good too.
    YaKnowBrady and rgilbert like this.
  7. rgilbert

rgilbert Savant (295) New Jersey Jul 4, 2010

Love Overhead and Head High but I think Empower is my new favorite.
  8. I'm another lover of overhead.
  9. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Savant (495) New Jersey Jan 28, 2010

Kane definitely does IPAs extremely well, and part of the reason is because they are guaranteed fresh. Morning bell was insanely good but not available. Agree with all the others, try empower, head high, and overhead.
    YaKnowBrady likes this.
  10. benz08

benz08 Savant (355) New Jersey Nov 9, 2008

Everything they do is good to great. They do flights. I highly encourage tasting everything on tap.
  11. nogidrew86

nogidrew86 Aficionado (240) Nevada Aug 16, 2010

I had headhigh sent to me as an extra ! It was awesome! I wish I could remember who sent it to me so I can repay the favor!
    notjustgc likes this.
  12. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

Honestly try them all. Get a flight to sample a few things and then get a full pour of something and hang out at the picnic tables.
    YaKnowBrady likes this.
  13. I think Kane and Carton are the best breweries in NJ right now. Sorry Flying Fish.
  14. Timmush

Timmush Savant (330) New Jersey Jan 5, 2008

Flying Fish is way down on my list. Kane and Carton are so much better. I actually think most homebrewers can make a better beer than FF.
    cactusleon and iL0VEbeer like this.
  15. I think Flying Fish makes some good beers (haven't had the 12oz re-release, but I thought the original batch of the wild rice double IPA was fantastic), but I think Kane and Carton are definitely in a class of their own as far as NJ breweries.
    Bigbadboris and DrStiffington like this.
  16. I find it funny how everyone seems to always lump these 2 breweries together (Kane & Carton). I have loved just about everything I have tried from Kane and have not been overly impressed with Carton.
  17. marshmeli

marshmeli Savant (425) New York Feb 14, 2012

Really gotta try some Kane brews, next time I visit my parents I will hit a local bar that has their stuff on tab... really wanted to hit the brewery this summer when I was going to the Phish show at PNC, but it is on a Wed and they are only open on Fri and Sat I think, maybe I can find a local shop that sells growlers and another BA going to the show can grab me some growlers and we can meet in one of the lots
  18. ripps1

ripps1 Savant (375) New Jersey Aug 28, 2012

Everything I have had from Kane has been great.
  19. \
    Not even Carton's GORP?
  20. I had GORP and thought it was ok. And it's not really a knock on Carton as much as i don't understand why every time someone talks about either brewery they always say Kane & Carton. Kane is the much better of the 2 IMO but either way, they are separate and distinct breweries and shouldn't always be mentioned together.
  21. Kane is producing the best beer in New Jersey. Head High IPA, Morning Bell Imperial Porter (when it was available), and Solitude are all fantastic. The 365 First Anniversary is also pretty great if you can get your hands on it.
    Centennial likes this.
  22. I think it's just because they opened around the same time (summer of '11?) and are located in the same county and only 20 miles apart. Monmouth County hadn't had a production brewery in quite awhile at the time (the short-lived Red Bank Brewing Co and, more recently, Heavyweight), and the entire state hadn't seen new breweries open at all for over a decade I think it was. So, along with Iron Hill (a brewpub) and the nano-Cape May, they were first of the second wave.

Then they both choose similar - and somewhat unusual for the east coast - business models to be draught only. NJ's on-premise craft beer culture is still rather small compared to other states. They both self-distribute as well, IIRC?

Kegging only made their beers somewhat limited, growler-only for off-premise - not a lot liquor stores with growlers stations in some areas of the state. And the lack of bottle labels probably makes their overall "branding" and images less distinct. Rather plain and generic tap handles for both only furthered that confusion. And, on top of all that, to add to the similarities, both went with non-distinct beer names -

• Launch, Boat, 077XX instead of Carton Pale Ale, Carton Brown Ale, Carton IPA
    • Drift Line, Afterglow, Head High instead of Kane Brown, Kane Rye IPA, Kane IPA

Not a series of criticisms but just noting the coincidental similarities. So, even before tasting the beers it seems easy to confuse the two companies.​
    Well, maybe a little criticism on their non-specific beer names - without labels and distinct tap handles and beer names, a casual drinker is dependent of bartenders for info, and NJ's true "craft beer bars" are few.​
    "What's that plain wood tap handle?"
    "Kane."
    "Uh, yeah, but what style of beer is it?"
    Looks around bar for a piece of paper --- "Drift Line."
    "Oh... OK".
  23. phooky

phooky Savant (410) New York Jan 23, 2010

This excites me, greatly.

[​IMG]
    jgrummm, Scrapss, myron317 and 6 others like this.
  24. Yeah that has the potential to be quite good.
  25. Already planning the epic bottle share for the release.

And after party at my house of course.
    ufmj and smonice like this.
  26. That has more than the potential to be quite good lol.
    iL0VEbeer likes this.
  27. DaGrizz

DaGrizz Savant (250) New Jersey Feb 22, 2012

Any info on the release out there yet? I know they are taping a keg April 17th at the Taproom in Warren.
    Squidly likes this.
  28. Not yet. I think Mike is still waiting for the carbonation to be perfect. Kegs are a different story.

I'll let you guys know as soon as I find out more since I'm there pretty much every weekend.
    ufmj likes this.
  29. beernut

beernut Savant (330) New Jersey Jun 6, 2008

Lets just hope this cork doesnt just pop out once the cage is removed like 365. Nearly lost an eye.
  30. xnicknj

xnicknj Advocate (730) Pennsylvania May 25, 2009

m100 likes this.
  31. What is the brewery like? I'm in Princeton and I haven't seen much of Kane around at all...once on tap and owe or two bottles at my local shop. I was thinking of making a trip out there but couldn't really find any info online. Do they have food or anything or is it just a no frills, drink some samples and fill your growler type place?
  32. They don't have any food, but you can hang out for a bit and have full pours of the beers they have on tap that weekend (in addition to sample sized pours and growler fills). I guess if you go on Saturday or Sunday you can hang out at the picnic tables in the brewery for a while, but when I was there early on a Friday night, everyone stayed in the tasting room.
  33. They're only open Friday and Saturday. No Sunday.
  34. Bottle release update:

The beer is ready, carbonation is good to go.

They're just waiting for the labels to come in.

We're probably looking at 2 weeks for the release, but you never know, could be longer.
    Squidly, ufmj and smonice like this.
  35. they need to start bottling their IPAs asap
  36. They're hoping to do 16oz cans of Head High and Overhead by the end of the year.
    AntLeatherface, Squidly, ufmj and 2 others like this.
  37. this puts a smile on my face
  38. Definitely. We'll finally have a kick-ass "local" to send out as extras in trades. I'm sick of having to compare distributions because NJ has such shitty locals!
    Squidly and cactusleon like this.
  39. That would be amazing. I'd clean the 200 beers out of my fridge tomorrow to make room if I knew this was true. Did you hear this from Michael himself? When i was at the brewery about 6 months ago he said he had no immediate plans to bottle or can either of those so very happy to hear this if its true.
  40. Mike has been talking about it for a while now, and I talked to the head brewer about it yesterday. It's not guaranteed, but they do seem very serious about it. I can't wait... Will NJ be the new Vermont??? Haha.
    Centennial and smonice like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.