1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Karbach all inclusive thread

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by jamescain, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Yeah, I had too much of a good time. I'm paying for it this morning hehe.
  2. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Advocate (505) Texas Apr 13, 2010

They still had some BA beers on tap at Hay Merchant when I was there earlier. They were all messy, and I was let down. After the first two batches BBA Hellfighter, Fra-Gee-Lay is the only barrel-aged beer they put out that I've enjoyed. That said, the only BA beers from them -- that I know of -- that I haven't had, were CBA Barn Burner and BBA Hellfighter with cherries, and this batch cask BBA Hellfighter.
  3. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Looks like Karbach is tasting some IPA recipes today.
  4. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Interesting.... of course they already have two IPA's in their regular lineup... well, yes.. Rodeo Clown is a double..
  5. icetrauma

That's what I thought as well. Can't wait to see what comes out of the tasting.
  6. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Rodeo Clown is a barleywine ;) Still, an excellent beer whatever you call it.
    NiceFly and icetrauma like this.
  7. HopAG

Weekend Warrior Bro!
    Ford likes this.
  8. Ford

I think it's whatever they call it..ha... which is a dIPA... I do see the winky face so I know this is an inside joke I missed out on somewhere... so I'm going to go with :D super big green smiley face!
    champ103 likes this.
  9. Ford

I'm hoping Nobi will have this today for me to try.
  10. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Its a different story when fresh.
    UHCougar12 likes this.
  11. Had Weekend Warrior a couple of days ago at HM. Meh. Fresh Nugs was on a whole 'nother level, imo
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  12. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Fresh Nugs is so damn good. I hope they don't retire it.
  13. Ford

I haven't had Fresh Nugs yet... though my one friend who did try it, didn't really like it much... on the other hand, I just had Weekend Warrior.. and think it is really good. A great session beer.. I see no reason for it to be seasonal in Texas... plenty of hot weather year round.
  14. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (365) Texas Aug 16, 2012

Bring on Weekend Warrior! Anyone know what beers they are bringing to the Rockwell tap takeover?
    HopAG likes this.
  15. Ford

If it's like the tap takeovers in Houston.. pretty much everything... BB Hellfighter, Fragilee, Yule Shoot Your Eye Out, Pontificator, Weekend Warrior, Fresh Nugs, and all of the regulars.. plus some other barrel aged stuff...

I didn't make it out, but saw the list and pics of the taps at the Flying Saucer.
  16. TxUltraRunner

Cool - went to the Downtown Saucer takeover but Rockwells doesn't have that much space so I'm curious as to what they were bringing. It's a pain when they are crowded.
  17. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Saw Rodeo Clown on tap locally. Can anyone confirm the release of Karbach outside Houston area?
  18. icetrauma

Not that I know of. There was a story about a keg making it to your town and Karbach threw a shit fit with their distributor. I say shhhh and enjoy.
    HopAG likes this.
  19. HopAG

Enjoy this one forbidden pleasure! It won't happen again for a long time!
    icetrauma likes this.
  20. mattchow

mattchow Savant (370) Texas Jun 24, 2012

had a couple more BBA Rodeo Clown's at Hay Merchant tonight, that needs to be a F.U.N. beer...
  21. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

They still have it on tap? I may have to head down tomorrow
  22. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

Crap, I didnt see the BBA Rodeo Clown. I did have the WBA Krunkin Pumpkin though.
  23. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

They didn't mention the specific beers, but said 11 taps of Karbach.
  24. StArnoldFan

StArnoldFan Advocate (575) Texas Dec 28, 2012

I know its not that hard to come by but just wanted to throw it out there, I saw about 20 bottles of Pontificator at HEB on Fairmont in Pasadena yesterday. $8.99 each. Last week when I saw it @ Specs Bay Area they had limit 1
  25. TomHouTX

TomHouTX Aficionado (140) Texas Dec 7, 2012

That is my local store, there were also a couple of bottles of Yule Shoot Your Eye Out still hidden behind the Pontificator. They way that HEB seems to work is that they often hold back putting out new releases until space on their small craft beer shelf has been cleared. I found Bodacious and Fragelay there a full month after release.
    StArnoldFan likes this.
  26. H0rnedFr0gs

Given the profile of this location (Moth) I suspect this keg was sold knowing where it would be tapped, they had it on their TX flight card and (I THINK) had the Karbach logo on the card itself.

I cannot imagine this location risking the relationship the company has with Karbach enough to use their beer or their logo without permission. If not then I'm ok spilling the beans and hopefully the mistake was unintentional

I felt a twinge bringing it up but if select kegs are able to make it elsewhere...I can't not ask here you know.
  27. mattisloco

mattisloco Savant (455) Texas Feb 13, 2007

Nothing to worry about. Flying saucer Addison and on the lake have had several kegs from Karbach over the past couple of months and they posted pretty frequently about them on facebook and twitter. Unfortunately all of it has been rodeo clown :(
    H0rnedFr0gs likes this.
  28. icetrauma

Shoot Karbach and email or msg on FB. They are usually good at responding.

One thing I didn't like about the Moth was the inability to make your own flight. Other than that, not a bad experience.
  29. StArnoldFan

Hope I see another BB Hellfighter hidden one of these days, I got some on release day but not near enough to last till next time. Plus I have had some trade offers and had to take a guy up on a Pliny, Nelson, and Blind Pig for one.
  30. H0rnedFr0gs

Happy to know this and have passed the info on. Would drop my britches if they had some brews at BTBF. If all i ever see locally is Weiss and Rodeo Clown DAMN SON
  31. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

Yes, Bodacious is an all-time great beer to the City of Houston. Karbach's doing it right with the F.U.N. series...Man, had one bottle of Bodacious while making salmon and doused some in the fish. It was the best salmon ever. Fra-Gee-Lay takes Yule from a mediocre winter warmer to a top tier one. And BA Hellfighter...shoooot, now thats tasty. I bet Tiffany S really enjoyed her time with that one.

For Rockwell, they'll have "them all," specifically Bodacious, Hellfighter, Fra-Gee-Lay will be there. See you guys in Cypress!
    Ford likes this.
  32. Specs Galveston has BBA Hellfighter. Just picked up two bottles. It's in the back so you will have to ask someone.
    HopAG likes this.
  33. StArnoldFan

Nobi just got a cask of BB Hellfighter, not sure if they are tapping today or going to hold out on us.

[​IMG]
    icetrauma likes this.
  34. champ103

champ103 Champion (860) Texas Sep 3, 2007

Karback tweeted this:

"Brewing up 90 barrels of Barn Burner Saison today! Remember, this will be available in 6pks as well as draught!"

Interesting.
    Ford and soultrain19 like this.
  35. Ford

Who stopped by Nobi Public House today and had one of these... this guy!

Delicious as expected... it was tapped today... but.. for a Thursday afternoon.. they were pretty busy... and I saw at least 8 snifter's of this ordered.. it's a 13 gallon cask from what I overheard... if I heard right.
    StArnoldFan likes this.
  36. Ford

37. StArnoldFan

Yeah I had to go have one. Prob my fav beer right now, although I thought it tasted a little flat from the cask. Glad I still have a few bottles in my fridge for another time.
  38. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Savant (260) Texas Jan 22, 2013

The Karbach Taps night in Cypress was amazing. Rockwell was packed and the Bodacious was flowing...mmm Bodacious.
    UHCougar12 likes this.
  39. TxUltraRunner

Floated Weekend Warrior and BBA Hellfighter tonight at Rockwells. Bodacious was already floated when I got there.
  40. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Saw this keg a few weeks ago sitting in the back. Guess its finally making an appearance!
    Ford and rainerschuhsler like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.