1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Karbach Krunkin Punkin update

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Sep 17, 2012.

1. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

It was canned as well? Or are you referring to other Karbach cans? lol
  2. SeaSparrow

SeaSparrow Aficionado (150) Texas Sep 4, 2010

No cans of Krunkin as far as I know. I think canadianghetto was referring to the comment from our fellow Austin BA that he hasn't tried ANY Karbach beers yet.
  3. Daemose

Daemose Savant (450) Texas Oct 3, 2011

Specs Smith is out. Central market out. D&Q was closed for some reason. Whole foods hadn't gotten it yet.
  4. CoogBrew

CoogBrew Aficionado (105) Texas Nov 25, 2010

I just called Central Market an the guy said they never got it. The guy yesterday said it was in the back but they couldn't sell it until it got checked in. I guess it all got sold last night and the guy today didn't know what he was talking about.

Apparently no HEB's have gotten theirs yet.
  5. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (435) Texas Apr 20, 2012

Did Central Market just get theirs this morning?
  6. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

HEB Bunker Hill just posted they have it. Password is charlie brown.
  7. Daemose

Daemose Savant (450) Texas Oct 3, 2011

I didn't see it when I went in there about 930.
  8. HopAG

HopAG Savant (475) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Hey guys if in case any of you missed picking up some but still want to try it, MvC is tapping their Krunkin keg tonight at 6pm. Enjoy!
    [​IMG]
  9. Does anyone know the ABV or the style of this beer. I picked up a couple of bottles yesterday and I want to know what to expect.
  10. Stoneman22

Stoneman22 Disciple (60) Texas Dec 6, 2011

Does anyone know if Karbach will be hitting San Antonio anytime soon?
  11. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (485) Texas Sep 7, 2004

I thought I heard they have no plans to expand for the 1st 2 yrs.
  12. djd07

djd07 Aficionado (160) Texas Oct 3, 2012

Specs on jones/290 just got some.
  13. JohnBender

Hubbell & Hudson has two cases. Ask for em. And cheapest I've seen them listed at $8.49. Might be a limit.
  14. icetrauma

Glad ya got some. Now, I'll have a bottle to put away. Other 2 where already spoken for.
  15. JohnBender

Oops let me clarify. There is obviously a limit. Might be one per person.
  16. icetrauma

Lol!
  17. Ford

Ford Savant (470) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Hoping my HEB gets them on Thursday... said there was a UPC problem that kept them from being there on Tuesday.
  18. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

D&Q usually doesn't open until 1045-1115 am.

HEB Pearland said tomorrow or Thursday. Looks like this beer is getting distributed with the regular weekly shipments.
  19. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (375) Texas Aug 16, 2012

Manager at the Specs in Katy told me that Budweiser is Karbach's distributor and that they weren't going to do an extra delivery during the week for such a small brewery no matter the limited release label. Their normal delivery is set on Thursdays. May expalin why a lot of places are not getting it until Thursday.
  20. icetrauma

Not surprised by this at all.
  21. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Budweiser isn't the distributor, it is Silver Eagle which also happens to have the Anheiser Bush portfolio in Houston.
  22. icetrauma

Correct you are.

KP is drinking well. Very well balanced. Not overly sweet pumpkin and not overly spiced.
  23. HopAG

Yeah I was very impressed by it. Ended up going to Mongoose vs Cobra to talk to talk a bit more with the Karbach guys. They kept mentioning how impressed they were with the sales and how they are going to step up production for the next batch in a year. They also mentioned how they used Japanese pumpkins that give off a sweet potato/pumpkiny taste. What they forgot to mention was how the Japanese used this type of pumpkin as an aphrodisiac. So be careful is you plan on splitting this with your gf or wife!

Very solid brew.

Few Notables:
    Bodacious according to the head brewer will come out on Pumpkinator day (Oct 15). Very limited release around 100 ish cases (Smaller than Krunkin).
    They also mentioned releasing a Black IPA around January and a Saison during the summer. Those Karbach guys are getting mighty impressive!
  24. Texasfan549

Texasfan549 Advocate (660) Texas Feb 26, 2011

Woodlands Market Street HEB had bottles today mid afternoon, on the shelf no limit
  25. Is it the same Black IPA and Saison ("Black IPA" and "Barn Burner") they released this year?
  26. icetrauma

Karbach has taken Houston by storm. Best brewery in Houston, IMO. Looking forward to Bodacious.
  27. Lutter

Lutter Advocate (650) Texas Jun 30, 2010

These Karbach guys need to send some of their beer to Austin. I was bummed that they weren't at the Texas Craft Brewers Festival.
  28. LadyOfMuchBeer

God forbid your wife actually wants to have sex with you!!
  29. HopAG

Hey we don't want any unplanned pregnancies here!

According to the Karbach guys its going to be a completely new Black IPA. Summer saison might be the same recipe as this year. Didn't get any of the Barn Burner this year, but they mentioned getting it in cans.

Also expect Hellfighter sometime early November, if I can recall correctly. Guy mentioned they had such a successful debut of it using Cherry Bourbon barrel aging that they might decide to age a batch in it for a very limited release.

These guys are going places.
  30. HoodooOperator

HoodooOperator Savant (275) Texas Sep 27, 2012

Anyone have a lead on where to find some today (Wednesday). I missed the haul at HEB Bunker yesterday beofre they sold out, would like to get my hands on a bomber or 2
  31. LadyOfMuchBeer

Gotcha!!
  32. wsnich

wsnich Savant (410) Texas Apr 26, 2010

Cherry Bourbon Barrel hellfighter was fantastic. I probably drank a few pints of that stuff while at the beer festival in Galveston.
  33. LadyOfMuchBeer

I may have come up empty on this one. I trolled Market Street & a couple other HEBs yesterday, think I was there too early though....I am just not feeling the race to try and MAYBE land some....sigh.
  34. icetrauma

Silver Eagle is the distributor and it should be out for today's delivery. That's the word on the street.
  35. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Did you try Hubbell & Hudson? Don't think it's on the shelf, but they got some.
  36. LadyOfMuchBeer

It seemed like everyone who was getting it got it yesterday?
  37. icetrauma

That's what Spec's Katy was saying. I think I also read it on Karbach's FB page. But who really knows what is going on. Distributors are less than reliable.
  38. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

I'll be out of state for this one, so if anybody ends up with a Bodacious to spare, I will be bringing back some VT (and other New England) goodies next week for trade.
  39. graham515

graham515 Aficionado (145) Texas Jun 5, 2007

Just a heads up on Bodacious. It will be pushed back to October 22nd so that there is plenty of time to get all customers set up for delivery
  40. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (300) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011

Quick update:

Silver Eagle dropped the ball on the Krunkin' release in regards to WFM.

Long story short, WFM Kirby will be receiving ours tomorrow (Thursday) sometime before 2pm. First come, first serve, two bottle limit.

I can't speak for the other WFM, but expect them to receive their deliveries anytime between now and Friday.