1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Karbach Krunkin Punkin update

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Sep 17, 2012.

1. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Savant (465) Texas Feb 21, 2011

Just walked out of heb market street. Grabbed 2. They had about six left

2. DonD

DonD Aficionado (240) Texas Jun 23, 2008

Went by Specs at Westheimer/Kirkwood and he said its not coming til tomorrow.

They still had over a case of Bitches Brew on the floor and quite a few bottles of original Black Metal for those interested.

3. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

The GF found it at HEB at Westheimer and Kirkwood.

At the last moment before we are leaving town. Fwew!

icetrauma likes this.
  4. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (390) Texas Aug 16, 2012

6 bottles left at the Mason Rd Specs. Karbach is now THE Houston Brewery. The guys know what they're doing and if the others don't catch on they will get left in the dust.

5. Ford

Ford Savant (480) Texas Sep 8, 2012

Ok.. the two closest Specs to me are getting two cases each tomorrow... so a total of 24 bombers.. with a limit of two...

I can't get there until around 3:30... hope they have some less... only takes 12 customers to sell out of their allotment...

The two HEB's near me did not have it today.. and there was no one around to ask if they thought they would get it tomorrow.

6. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

I agree with this assessment. SA has stayed middle of the road and played it safe for a very long time. Some DR series where hits and some where misses or at least from what I've read on this site. Karbach is consistently putting out big tasting beers at an affordable price. Krunkin is more than a fordable challanger to Pumpkinator or at least last years recipe. Will see how this year does. Can't wait to try some Bodacious.

7. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (390) Texas Aug 16, 2012

I will admit that Endeavor is their best beer but with Karbach putting out BB Hellfighter, Krunkin P, and the soon to be Bodacious IN THE SAME YEAR they're hard to beat.

8. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Savant (425) Texas Mar 12, 2012

Anybody coming to La Muerta want to bring me a bottle of this please BM me

9. Ford

Man... I need to get my Krunkin on tomorrow.. (sorry about that terrible joke)... fingers crossed!

10. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Good luck bud!

11. icetrauma

DAMN! I'm working that day!

12. Daemose

Daemose Savant (480) Texas Oct 3, 2011

FUCK. I give up. Bay area sold out today in 30 minutes. I showed up when they opened and they said they hadn't gotten their shipment in yet, so I go home and shower, call again, and the lady says "We have a very limited supply." So I drive back over there and they are sold out.

13. Daemose

If anyone wants to do an in person trade some time in the next few weeks, I have FBS, Bonnie the Rare, and a few other assorted goodies. Just Bowel Movement me.

14. CoogBrew

CoogBrew Aficionado (105) Texas Nov 25, 2010

Spec's on Richmond at 610 has a case left. 1 bottle limit.

15. Ford

Bay Area being out bodes poorly for me... Ugh

16. HoodooOperator

HoodooOperator Savant (275) Texas Sep 27, 2012

Just had the Krunk on tap at lunch, definately tasty, dare i say better than the revered Pumpkinator? ANother quality showing from Karbach, makes me really look forward to the Yule this year. Drinking Krunk and other high spiced stuff when its 89 degrees out sucks balls.

Bring on the cold weather and holiday beveraging.

17. HopAG

I am surprised it's selling out the way it is, I mean besides a limited few who knew about the release and us BAs this thing is really flying off the shelves. Hope you guys manage to find some so that this beautiful brew can be appreciated by savvy palates.

18. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (415) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Bay Area in Webster or Friendswood? I got a bottle from Webster store (near El Camino behind 24 Hour Fitness) this morning at 11 and my friend went at noon also got one.

Try the HEB across the street from the Webster Specs and on 646.

Also Brews Brothers is tapping it today.

19. HoodooOperator

HoodooOperator Savant (275) Texas Sep 27, 2012

Petrol looks like theyll have it on tap this weekend. HAAAAAAY and BRC already do, you heehaws go fill a growler if you cant get a bomb.

HopAG and JohnBender like this.
  20. Azzy

Azzy Savant (300) Texas Jul 16, 2012

Well with Facebook all their followers hear about it and go out and get it pretty quickly. I am glad I was able to get my couple of bottles. Already had one and I am probably having another once I get pumpkinator and another bottle of Pumpking. From what I had, I still prefer Pumpkinator and it is tastier than Pumpking. Pumpking is too sweet

21. jbeezification

I currently have in my fridge, 2 Krunkin, 1 Fat Jack, 1 Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela (2011) and 3 Pumpking. I swear I need to start drinking beer more.

22. Azzy

Thats nothing. I have like 70 bottles waiting for me, Im probably gonna go through them by November and stop cellaring crap, and stop trading.

UHCougar12 and jbeezification like this.
  23. icetrauma

I'm not big into trading but I feel your pain. I find myself buying more beer that is better cellared than immediate drinking.

UHCougar12 and jbeezification like this.
  24. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

My hoard must be over by 400 now. I still buy beer at the rate I did when I drank 3+ a day, but now I only drink once a week, if that. But how can I turn down all the great new beer? #firstworldproblems

25. Ford

Specs at 45south and fm 518 still has a few bottles... I just picked up 1.. They seemed surprised it was going so fast...

jbeezification likes this.
  26. BeanBone

I feel like it's selling about as expected. There was what? 190 cases? That's not much product for a city as big as Houston. Don't forget, for every poster in this thread, there are likely many times more lurkers. Not to mention that Karbach's following in general seems to be getting pretty strong these days.

jbeezification likes this.
  27. JohnBender

JohnBender Savant (435) Texas Apr 20, 2012

If you need any help with that please let me know.

BeanBone and Azzy like this.
  28. jbeezification

Yeah I dont even know how many are waiting for me, I was just talking about the Pumpkin beers.

29. kmello69

kmello69 Advocate (505) Texas Nov 27, 2011

Yes, this. My purchases far outweigh my consumption. I now have a 21cf fridge in the garage that is completely full, plus 30-40 more bottles (mostly bombers) in a pantry. But I'm still down to get my hands on some Pumpkinator!

30. HopAG

Yall need to be on a Hoarders Episode!!!!

I can just imagine the host of the show telling one of you guys, "Alright, can you let this Pumking 2011 go? You have 2 more in the other cabinet."

31. BeanBone

No. I might need that. It's going to age nice and could be good trade bait. Maybe I can get rid of some of these 2010 Frambozens, though... Maybe.

32. duff247

duff247 Savant (450) Texas Nov 16, 2010

I'm gonna be driving up to northeast Houston from Galveston and wondered were on 45/downtown/59 n might have any left? That isn't super out of the way???

33. Azzy

Check HEBs on the way.

34. Ford

I got mine just off 45 south.. just north of Galveston.. at FM518... a Specs near Kroger there...

I checked both of the big HEB's near there... off FM 646 and the one in Friendswood... neither had anyone around to ask... and I didn't see it out anywhere.

35. Daemose

Damn, I almost went by that 518 one earlier.

36. boogercrack

boogercrack Savant (340) Texas May 24, 2012

confirmed, picked up two from the back at the 518 specs about 5pm.

37. duff247

duff247 Savant (450) Texas Nov 16, 2010

Just called them and they are out. Just now heading out.... Dang

38. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Initiate (0) Texas Apr 11, 2012

I had the Schlafly Pumpkin last night in St Louis. I want to try the Kunkin now to compare. Will probably do so early next week as I brought one to share with a trading partner.

As far as hoarding, I'm sitting at around 250 and expect to come home from Michigan and Chicago with a bunch more. :eek:

39. jbeezification

Pick me up some Zombie Dust. Im on my last bottle.

40. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

I got one! Kevin texted me to tell me Specs Rayford had 4 bottles left with a one bottle limit, so I was there in about 5 minutes! Exciting because I also ran into a friend I know from the earlier college days and she loves beer too!! :)

Since we are talking about hoarding...I am probably working toward 500 bottles. I need to find a tasting group reasonably close to home to share all this beer with! I live in a tiny apartment so I cannot host, but I can bring beer!! It's hard to drink when you have nobody to drink with and you do not drink alone.

JohnBender likes this.