1. Extreme Beer Fest. March 20 & 21, 2015 in Boston, Mass. Join us!
  2. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  3. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Karbach Krunkin Punkin update

Discussion in 'US - Southwest' started by icetrauma, Sep 17, 2012.

1. jbeezification

jbeezification Savant (405) Texas Jun 6, 2012

Man you guys (and Lady) really do need to start drinking more. I thought I had a problem but now I feel better about it. 400+ bottles? Thats more than some bars have.

2. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Savant (380) Texas Apr 30, 2011

Its unintentional. I want to try everything, but I have so little time to actually consume it. I have maybe 1-3 beers a week at home, but without good company to drink with, I am uninspired to open large format bottles.

UHCougar12 likes this.
  3. jbeezification

I completely understand. This week I went to central market and whole foods, I bought two 4 packs and a couple bombers and when I got home there was a package at the door. I really don't drink enough of it and I have my kids half time so its basically impossible to catch up.

4. LadyOfMuchBeer

I always have my daughter...unless she is in school or I am at work or school. Occasionally I am able to sneak off to tastings...a few more years and she can stay at home alone all day or at night, but for now...I guess I am stockpiling for those days. Or, once the Zombie Apocalypse hits, I will have a nice stash to use as trade bait for guns and ammo. o_O

jbeezification likes this.
  5. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Sounds like we need to have a Woodlands de-hoarding party with our hoards haha.

6. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Savant (335) Texas Sep 10, 2012

I wasn't too impressed with Krunkin Pumpkin personally. It's OK but it's no Pumpkinator. Also for those that <3 the "Pumpkin Pie" taste in most Pumpkin Beers - this tastes like straight Pumpkin there is no Pie in that bottle at all lol.

Let it warm up a little to get the full effect, don't do this one Ice Cold also - This beer is no slouch it packs a punch...then again I took my Bomber to the head on an empty stomach.

I took the last 1/8th of my Bomber to marinate some Chicken in...I hope this works.

[​IMG]

LadyOfMuchBeer and JohnBender like this.
  7. champ103

champ103 Champion (870) Texas Sep 3, 2007

On tap at Hay Merchant along with Fresh Nugs on cask. I did not ask, but they should do growlers if anyone wants to know/is interested. Krunkin is alright, Fresh Nugs is great.

8. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (375) Texas Aug 16, 2012

Just had Krunkin on tap at Rockwells Tavern. Great beginning but half way through I was left wanting more of a bite or punch at the end. Really wanted more flavor from this beer. Great drinkability but wanted something bolder. Finished the night with Smoke on the Bayou.

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  9. Danielbt

Danielbt Savant (380) Texas May 4, 2012

ISO: Krunkin FT: 5.56x45

LadyOfMuchBeer likes this.
  10. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (300) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011

WFM out on Westheimer/Wilcrest still had the better part of a case on the shelf last night, if anyone's still looking for some.

11. GregSVT

GregSVT Savant (475) Texas Jul 1, 2009

Anyone know where there is some left? I'm in Houston visiting friends on the west side just outside of the Beltway. Any help would be appreciated. :)

12. pawpaw

pawpaw Savant (300) Wisconsin Jan 18, 2011

Check out right above you. If your'e headed to the west side, just stop by WFM out there on Westheimer and scoop as many as you want.

13. LadyOfMuchBeer

Yes, yes we do!

I have actually been thinking that starting a new regular tasting group would do it to. Work through 7-10 beers a week or every other week.....

14. GregSVT

Thanks for the heads up! Picked up a few and some other cans I can't get in Dallas. There was still some Krunkin on the shelf when I left.

15. icetrauma

icetrauma Savant (495) Texas Sep 7, 2004

Hope ya got some Rodeo Clown.

16. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Savant (375) Texas Aug 16, 2012

Just got back from there - didn't have any left and neither did the Specs on Westheimer nearby.

17. GregSVT

Definitely...that's the one I really wanted to try. Also got some Hopadillo and the Wheat.

18. jbeezification

I have heard this same sentiment said many times. Then they actually drink 'the wheat' and its their new favorite Karbach beer.

19. jbeezification

I had Krunkin on tap last night at Brews Brothers and I wasn't really impressed at all. So when I got home I cracked my first bottle of Pumpking and made things right.

20. BeanBone

BeanBone Savant (445) Texas Oct 12, 2006

Cracked one last night. It was solid, but really nothing exciting. Now, to trade the other bottle or keep it...

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  21. HoustonZ33

Was I right when I said "It's tastes like PUMPKIN, not Pumpkin Pie"?

22. jbeezification

I would say thats accurate. I hoped it to be more graham crackery

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  23. Texas_Speed

Texas_Speed Savant (325) Texas Aug 22, 2012

Krunkin Pumpkin was my first real experience with Pumpkin beers and I enjoyed it. It wasn't something that blew me away but I did enjoy the flavor profile and the spice notes. I still have a bottle left over so I can do a side by side comparison with some Pumkinator when I get some.

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  24. HoustonZ33

Also to really get the flavor out of it - You need to let it warm up a little bit.

icetrauma likes this.
  25. bshaf

bshaf Zealot (85) Texas Jan 15, 2010

kroger on montrose and alabama has 3 cases kinda hidden in the produce..

i seriously doubt they will be gone today

26. icetrauma

D&Q just tweeted Krunkin Pumpkin

27. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

Wait there is still some more left?!?!

28. Clutch131

Clutch131 Aficionado (110) Texas Dec 3, 2009

I thought it was pretty good and with the belgium yeast a different style of pumpkin ale. Was not my favorite but I would buy one or two each year if I ran across it. I would not run around town hunting it down though.

Solid local Pumpkin ale but nothing that blew my doors off.

wsnich and icetrauma like this.
  29. HopAG

HopAG Savant (485) Texas Sep 22, 2012

I wonder how well this bad boy will age. Any thoughts?

30. Clutch131

Clutch131 Aficionado (110) Texas Dec 3, 2009

In general pumpkin ales really are not good candidates for ageing because you start to lose the spices. I saw a video with Karbach and they recomended drinking it fresh. With that said the base beer may age nicely if you don't mind losing some of the spice.

31. icetrauma

My thoughts exactly. A heavy spiced beer will mellow but a balanced beer will fade.