1. The wait is over! Download the BeerAdvocate app on iTunes or Google Play now.
  2. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Kate the Great 2013 (Unofficial Gathering)

Discussion in 'US - New England' started by Jdiddy, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Jdiddy

Jdiddy Savant (355) Rhode Island Apr 5, 2002

So, March is upon us and I am longing for a 6 hour wait in the freezing cold to get some KTG. However, as we all know, it does not appear that will happen this year. Which leads me to thinking, why should that stop an Unofficial KTG get together? I had a vision recently of a massive KTG bottle share in honor of the event that we all looked forward to going to each year.

My idea was this...Kate fans gather in RI to share bottles from their cellar and celebrate the nectar known as KTG. We could essentially have the largest KTG bottle share on record. While this is in the initial stages, would be cool if this could happen.

My thought is this...30-40 folks max. EVERY attendee must have a bottle of KTG to contribute. Obviously we do not want 30 bottles of 2012. I have a 2010 to contribute and hope to see some from every vintage. As Tod has said 5 years is the sweet spot, may be a good time to crack some vintages open. The location is still in the works but I think this may be a cool idea for us Kate fans to celebrate this year. Think of it, 30-40 bottles of Kate all open and pouring amongst ourselves. Think of it as a massive Kate party in little Rhody.

So I ask, if you have a bottle to contribute and are interested, email me so I can have an idea what the interest level would be. If so, we may be able to make this happen. I am thinking March?? A Saturday??
    MugOfGoodness likes this.
  2. If I had one, I'd join you. I was considering a bonfire beerfest this Spring.
  3. Wouldn't it make more sense to meet at PBrew for a beer or whenever that imp. stout comes out?
  4. Or at least somewhere in Portsmouth in general? Home of KTG..
    Rochefort10nh and FrankLloydMike like this.
  5. Appreciate the sentiment but good luck finding 30 people with Kates in the Rhode Island area.

I'd love a meet up at Ports Brewery though.
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  6. Jdiddy

Jdiddy Savant (355) Rhode Island Apr 5, 2002

Thanks for the feedback all. I agree with all of your points. I live in RI and had a few friends with bottles in MA and RI that were possibly interested so figured I would throw it out there. I think logistically, just not gonna work.
    I guess it was a good though though..haha

I'll keep an eye out for any events that may take place in Portsmouth. While the Impy Stout is supposedly different, I am sure it will be super tasty.

Worst case scenario, I have a 2010 all to myself..haha

Cheers!
  7. Kate is just an overrated stout now that there's no big event surrounding it.
  8. While I respect your opinion I strongly disagree. The big event was always a big part of why I went year after year...but the Stout was really the main reason me and my friends would gather up every year at 5 am and drive to NH.

Long Live KTG!
  9. Your first mistake is respecting my opinion and your second is disagreeing with me ;).
    Stockfan42 likes this.
  10. I've got no respect for ya' AND I disagree. So there. ;)
    Jnorton00 likes this.
  11. xanok

xanok Savant (395) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

To each their own. KTG is still the best stout I've ever had.
  12. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (250) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

I thought the same thing! RI Seems like a random, arbitary place to hold a KtG gtg.
  13. I think its a great idea - come up to Portmsouth NH for it?
  14. If someone else is interested in a Portsmouth NH meetup, I can bring something cool. No Kate on hand, but I'm sure I can find something worthy of sharing.
    603BeerMe likes this.
  15. Five years is the sweet spot? That's funny because most people say that it's best fresh.
  16. drocpsu

drocpsu Savant (250) New Hampshire Dec 25, 2006

I no longer have any more KtG to contribute, but i'd be up for a BA gathering in the Portsmouth area!
  17. Considering I'm moving back up there this weekend, count me in as well.
  18. xanok

xanok Savant (395) Connecticut Aug 13, 2009

I've never heard that.
  19. Count me in!
    Gosox8787 likes this.
  20. All a matter of preference. I've had some vintages that are better than fresh, and vice versa...
  21. The best Kate I ever had was 2011 fresh(KTG day on tap). I have a 2011 and 2012 i will crack if anyone wants to do it in CT.
  22. I'm drinking a 2011 right now. This is the sweet spot right here - 2 years.

I really do think it's all personal preference. It's a hoppier beer fresh, but much mellower with some age. FWIW, Tod Mott was quoted at one point saying a couple of years was his preference.
  23. Tod told me to give all 3 years that I had 2 years againg at least.
  24. Uh oh, I guess it's time for me to go pound the '08s I have in the basement (I actually thought of drinking one during Storm Nemo but went with an 08 Smutty Imperial Stout instead, which by the way, is tasting awesome). Sadly, RI is way too far for a meetup, hope you get some good attendance though.
  25. Yeah, homeboy told me 2 years was the golden ticket. I bet he tells everyone who asks a new aging timeline.
  26. GraniteSkunk

GraniteSkunk Savant (375) Illinois Apr 17, 2007

Me and my '07 would be there, if I wasn't halfway across the nation.